• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Patrick Mahomes - why he did not transfer....

Gotta love Patrick’s dad. “We don’t transfer. We compete!” If only more parents had that attitude.

I like it. A lot. To be fair there are other legit reasons that players transfer, reasons that are not due to ducking competition. It’s more complex than that. But the point is a good one.

Yeah... I dunno. I think if You're Patrick freaking Mahomes you say that and then you win the starting job. We can all dig that. But then was Davis Webb "wrong" when he lost out to Mahomes, transferred, started at Cal, and subsequently got a shot at the pros?

I think if you're good enough to start you stay but if you're good enough to transfer somewhere else and play, and it sets you up for what might be a lucrative career, then you do that.

Last edited:

“We stay and compete” sounds really terrific and glad it worked out for Mahomes. That doesn’t necessarily mean that is the right course of action for anyone else.

There are any of a variety of sound reasons why a student athlete chooses to transfer to a different university, many of which have little of nothing to do with the ball team.

Yeah... I dunno. I think if You're Patrick freaking Mahomes you say that and then you win the starting job. We can all dig that. But then was Davis Webb "wrong" when he lost out to Mahomes, transferred, started at Cal, and subsequently got a shot at the pros?

I think if you're good enough to start you stay but if you're good enough to transfer somewhere else and play, and it sets you up for what might be a lucrative career, then you do that.

I agree. If you are good but you know the guy in front of you is every bit as good or better and you know you could start somewhere else then transfer. It's your future at risk.

Of course there are no guarantees but sometimes it's worth the risk.

It pains me to say that because I was raised that if you make a commitment you stick with it. But NFL money was never waiting on the other side either.

Last edited:
I agree. If you are good but you know the guy in front of you is every bit as good or better and you know you could start somewhere else then transfer. It's your future at risk.

Of course there are no guarantees but sometimes it's worth the risk.

It pains me to say that because I was raised that if you make a commitment you stick with it. But NFL money was never waiting on the other side either.
I get it, but sometimes kids have to battle it out. Tough it out. Had Gebbia stayed, he’d probably be starting by now as he is more accurate is WAY less turnover prone than AM. Of course he is not nearly as dynamic as a runner.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back