• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Compare now to 1990? Ron Brown

Stuck in the South

Red Shirt
2 Year Member

Interesting read (maybe because I've always been a fan of Brown)
Well? I am not an analyst in any way, but the WR room has taken a "big" turn in the types of bodies taken recently showing a concerted effort in new recruiting philosophy.

I get the reason for trying to draw a parallel, but it isn't the same.. This is Frosts 3rd losing season in a row, 90 was 9-3, 91 was 9-2-1

Aside from fans being upset, not even on the same planet as the same situation.. TO's staff didn't have one losing season, let alone 3 in a row.

Strange question but can Ron Brown take over special teams. He has been good coaching every position he has been in charge of. I bet he would be as good or better than any analyst that can be had!!
I was wondering what his new role will be as well. This part was intriguing:
"Although his exact duties haven't been formally announced, Brown will be a significant part of Frost's plan going forward."

IMO, wherever Brown had his footprint dealing directly with a position, those guys played well.......

Like @Huskerfan69 said, it's not really apples to oranges. Frost has had 3 losing seasons. A lot of folks are looking at simply being .500 or getting a bowl game as huge. I think we have gotten so "beaten down" that those accomplishments look really good. And TBH, that's sad, but would also be welcome....... But it's where we are at. Seeing the continual mistakes through 3 years and lack of depth at key positions (the engine that makes the car run) going into year 4 is concerning.

For the record, I was one of those who was concerned about the season record, but it was more the losing 7 bowl games in a row:) And even in all the turbulence,TO and NU was always in the top 20 in the coaches poll.....Our lowest was 17th in the years being referenced. (24th in the AP) What fan wouldn't take that record......WOW!

On a side note with revisionist history, I still remember losing to ASU and the multiple safeties...I didn't remember we still finished 6th that year. In my mind, that game hurt us so much........

Revisionist history all over this thread and the article. The team quit in 1990. I was at the Citrus Bowl. We had a 3rd string QB IIRC. Tom Haase. Tech ran over us in the second half. Trust me. We quit. Got blown out by Oh Ewe. And lost to the Vermin after being up 12-0 in a pouring rain when sCUm scored 27 straight points.

We have had 2 losing seasons and an *** season. This past season is a throwaway.

I agree that changes need to be made, both on offense and recruiting. And Coach Brown is right that the 1990 season was an Ebenezer season for Oz. It led to Tommie and an attack based defense. Let's hope the same thing happens here. JMO

I get the reason for trying to draw a parallel, but it isn't the same.. This is Frosts 3rd losing season in a row, 90 was 9-3, 91 was 9-2-1

Aside from fans being upset, not even on the same planet as the same situation.. TO's staff didn't have one losing season, let alone 3 in a row.
I betcha Ron Brown disagrees with you, why else would he be comparing the two situations, he mentioned exactly what you said.

Revisionist history all over this thread and the article. The team quit in 1990. I was at the Citrus Bowl. We had a 3rd string QB IIRC. Tom Haase. Tech ran over us in the second half. Trust me. We quit. Got blown out by Oh Ewe. And lost to the Vermin after being up 12-0 in a pouring rain when sCUm scored 27 straight points.

We have had 2 losing seasons and an *** season. This past season is a throwaway.

I agree that changes need to be made, both on offense and recruiting. And Coach Brown is right that the 1990 season was an Ebenezer season for Oz. It led to Tommie and an attack based defense. Let's hope the same thing happens here. JMO
I remember. You are correct. The announcers were being kind to us, as I recall. They really liked D. Brown.

There was definitely angst in 1990-91. Coach Osborne needed to make changes and he did. One of a couple times in his career (also early 80s) that he made successful pivots.

I betcha Ron Brown disagrees with you, why else would he be comparing the two situations, he mentioned exactly what you said.

obviously he disagrees, or he wouldn't have taken part in the article..

The only parallel is the heat from the fans, that is it. Nothing else is even close, imo.

Last edited:

imo, there is no throw away seasons.. This season we just lost a couple good players, not so throw away.

obviously he disagrees, or he wouldn't have taken part in the article..

The only parallel is the heat from the fans, that is it. Nothing else is even close, imo.
The message for me is that a coach can self evaluate and change course. I know we don’t like it but the fact is Frost is learning on the job. Is he capable of evaluating himself and making necessary changes? We’re about to find out.

We're mired in it right now and it's been an ongoing slide for a while.

We'll be alright.

Unless we're too impatient to get it right.

I remember. You are correct. The announcers were being kind to us, as I recall. They really liked D. Brown.

The only things I remember from the last 3 games. One of our players got pushed OOB into the Oh Ewe bench. Maybe our QB? He never came back. Against the Vermin, we could not stop Bienemy in the 4th. And we tried a fake punt inside our 30 and got stuffed late. I saw Shawn Jones (?) the Tech QB running over, around and thru us. Granted that was a great Tech team but we had several high draft picks (Bruce Pickens and others) who checked out.

None of Frost's teams have quit that I can tell. And the talent gap between then and now is Grand Canyonesque.

The message for me is that a coach can self evaluate and change course. I know we don’t like it but the fact is Frost is learning on the job. Is he capable of evaluating himself and making necessary changes? We’re about to find out.

You bet they can, and since Frost isn't at this point next year will be pretty important.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back