• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Quick Write-Up

Lots of frustrating negatives, but overall I thought we looked better this year. I think we’re close, but not sure we are making the necessary adjustments to break through.
Ya that's what I kind of am interested in. We were close, my Iowa stats show if we just do special teams better we probably win. But now we are super young offensively. And it will take us being much better on special teams. Can our scholarship punter do that for us? I hope so. If we press the reset button as we did in 2019 and 2020 in the beginning of the year i'm worried, because we have to start 2-1. We can not go 1-2.

Ya that's what I kind of am interested in. We were close, my Iowa stats show if we just do special teams better we probably win. But now we are super young offensively. And it will take us being much better on special teams. Can our scholarship punter do that for us? I hope so. If we press the reset button as we did in 2019 and 2020 in the beginning of the year i'm worried, because we have to start 2-1. We can not go 1-2.

Well we aren't young at the most important position (barring injury of course). Just need to take better care of the ball and limit penalties, which of course has been an issue for a decade.

I think most schools aren't losing their guy that they have dedicate their new facility build. To the point I tried making in my thread, we are going to have Jahkeem Green, Boe Wilson, Will Farnioks leave every year now with the portal. Every school will. When it becomes an issue is when it's your top producer, your captain, or your future.

The transfer portal is a way of life. Remember when we used to complain that we don't "process kids out" and we are stuck with "dead weight" and it's holding us back? Now we have a "get out of jail free" card with the portal. The problem is, now we are a not very good team and losing our good players instead of a team playing for conference titles with guys we want to cut loose and use their scholarship on a new recruit like we were just a decade ago.

We just need to win and most of this goes away. I thought we'd be there by now. Wan'Dale thought we'd be there by now.
I've seen you or someone else mention the bolded part before. Who are you talking about and why? I don't have a clue.

Coming from the new guy may not mean much, but great post ***. It touches on the multi-headed nature of our issues that are keeping us mired in losing. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any simple, or easy, answers. We seem to be close to turning the corner, but then recurring issues rear their ugly head again and again, and we snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.....

I think most schools aren't losing their guy that they have dedicate their new facility build. To the point I tried making in my thread, we are going to have Jahkeem Green, Boe Wilson, Will Farnioks leave every year now with the portal. Every school will. When it becomes an issue is when it's your top producer, your captain, or your future.
And this is exactly why comparing DONU to the Northwestern situation is apples and oranges.

Coming from the new guy may not mean much, but great post ***. It touches on the multi-headed nature of our issues that are keeping us mired in losing. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any simple, or easy, answers. We seem to be close to turning the corner, but then recurring issues rear their ugly head again and again, and we snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.....
Appreciate it.

I think why it's tough to answer is because it's a bunch of things. We can't throw the ball down field, we can't get a push from our OL, we lose our most explosive weapon two years in a row, we lose a captain, our special teams are atrocious. Just have to get better at numerous things. I'm hoping we can get that don.e

Most P5 schools are going to have to learn how to use the portal to backfill positions. Winning will not necessarily keep some kids as they want to start, not willing to wait, or have an exaggerated idea of their talent. I am afraid the portal will continue to cause a swinging door effect in recruiting, players continually coming and going. Just the way it is going to be.

And this is exactly why comparing DONU to the Northwestern situation is apples and oranges.
Right. I don't need to hear about how other teams have their backups leave and it's the same exact situation and "everyone is having it happen." If we can play for two conference titles in three years I'll gladly have all 85 guys in the portal and not even care.

Rivals just did a write-up about the 2020 class and it really illustrates how we turn a blind eye to things that are right in front of us just to try and defend what's happening. We had 5 guys leave already from that class, blaming things like Covid and other non-quanitfiable events. The next closest team in the B1G had 2 leave. With the re-rankings our class is actually sitting 7th in the B1G right now. If Covid really mattered why did it only effect us? We have former players and fans saying "if they don't want to be here we are better off." That's fine in year 1 and year 2. But when you start saying it about the #1 APB in the country that you signed and told everyone how important he is for you, it falls on deaf ears a bit.

I'll just reiterate. What is going on in Lincoln isn't happening everywhere. It's not a Covid issue. It's a Nebraska thing. The quicker we figure that out, the better off we are going to be. We need to figure out how to get kids to stay here.

Right. I don't need to hear about how other teams have their backups leave and it's the same exact situation and "everyone is having it happen." If we can play for two conference titles in three years I'll gladly have all 85 guys in the portal and not even care.

Rivals just did a write-up about the 2020 class and it really illustrates how we turn a blind eye to things that are right in front of us just to try and defend what's happening. We had 5 guys leave already from that class, blaming things like Covid and other non-quanitfiable events. The next closest team in the B1G had 2 leave. With the re-rankings our class is actually sitting 7th in the B1G right now. If Covid really mattered why did it only effect us? We have former players and fans saying "if they don't want to be here we are better off." That's fine in year 1 and year 2. But when you start saying it about the #1 APB in the country that you signed and told everyone how important he is for you, it falls on deaf ears a bit.

I'll just reiterate. What is going on in Lincoln isn't happening everywhere. It's not a Covid issue. It's a Nebraska thing. The quicker we figure that out, the better off we are going to be. We need to figure out how to get kids to stay here.
I agree, it appears to be a Nebraska issue, particularly on offense. Is anyone dedicated on Nebraska's staff that performs exit interviews on these players?
Do our offensive coaches not see what observers like Athlon see, or is it a matter of hubris.
If I were an offensive coach at Nebraska, this information would be vital.
It seems the evidence could lead to better recruitment of "our type" of players. Additionally, we may learn what is troubling our skill players.
I would rather hear it from WR and LM face to face than read it in an article after the fact. Seems easier to face the cold hard facts rather than provide damage control.

I agree, it appears to be a Nebraska issue, particularly on offense. Is anyone dedicated on Nebraska's staff that performs exit interviews on these players?
Do our offensive coaches not see what observers like Athlon see, or is it a matter of hubris.
If I were an offensive coach at Nebraska, this information would be vital.
It seems the evidence could lead to better recruitment of "our type" of players. Additionally, we may learn what is troubling our skill players.
I would rather hear it from WR and LM face to face than read it in an article after the fact. Seems easier to face the cold hard facts rather than provide damage control.
I think Frost knows it hasn't worked. The exodus is showing that. All he can do is take his medicine and try to do better in the future, and I believe that's why he is saying some of the things he is. I'm cool with that, because what else are you supposed to say/do? We haven't been good, we need to be better, let's move forward with who is here.

If Fro$t and the administration think the fan base will patiently sit by for years while these (many) problems get figured out, they are wrong.

I think Frost knows it hasn't worked. The exodus is showing that. All he can do is take his medicine and try to do better in the future, and I believe that's why he is saying some of the things he is. I'm cool with that, because what else are you supposed to say/do? We haven't been good, we need to be better, let's move forward with who is here.

I know this is going to sound like an overly optimistic view, but I think the potential is there to be better on offense without Wandale. I feel they became so intent on getting him 10-15 touches a game that they ended up force feeding the ball to him. Hopefully with Lubick having more say over the offense, you'll see a lot more of the easy short and intermediate throws to TEs and slot guys, and then mix in the WR screen and shots downfield.

I know this is going to sound like an overly optimistic view, but I think the potential is there to be better on offense without Wandale. I feel they became so intent on getting him 10-15 touches a game that they ended up force feeding the ball to him. Hopefully with Lubick having more say over the offense, you'll see a lot more of the easy short and intermediate throws to TEs and slot guys, and then mix in the WR screen and shots downfield.
I completely get that. I love the potential at WR with Betts, Manning, Martin, etc. I love the potential in the RB room with Stepp and others like Morrison and Scott. Our TEs will be solid. I love Corcorans potential. My issue is, we've had potential every year since the staff has been here. We hear it all offseason, so what makes me think it will be different in 2021?

My glass is half full is if we can just get special teams better, that's 1-2 more wins gaining the field position edge. With our scholarship punter back and a revised focus, i'm hoping that gets there. It almost literally can't be any worse. Then we just have to have our defense stay the same, and our offense be a bit more functional and that nets us .500. I don't think that's asking too much for 2021 and is certainly attainable which is where my optimistic view is. Again though, I just need to see it happen on the field anymore. I've tried the believing before seeing thing the past three years and it hasn't panned out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back