• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Be careful what you wish for...

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
Whether we like it or not our offense is going to look much different next year.
1. Our 2 longest tenured OL Gone
2. Our Back up QB gone
3. Our starting RB gone
4. Our most reliable WR and play maker gone.

Our offense will definitely look much different.

Whether we like it or not our offense is going to look much different next year.
2. Our Back up QB gone
3. Our starting RB gone

I need to go back and verify, but I believe this will be the youngest team Frost has taken the field with offensively. I need to go verify that but we are certainly younger than 2020. We really need Stepp to get his eligibility granted. Spring will be really fun, full of a bunch of unknowns but a ton of potential.

2. Our Back up QB gone
3. Our starting RB gone

I'm kind of thinking that it might not be bad thing to have Frost's hand forced a bit to play some guys he may have been reluctant to based on experience and not blocking (or being worried about someone else leaving). Adjust and move on. It's getting pretty close to sink or swim time for this staff.

Last edited:

I need to go back and verify, but I believe this will be the youngest team Frost has taken the field with offensively. I need to go verify that but we are certainly younger than 2020. We really need Stepp to get his eligibility granted. Spring will be really fun, full of a bunch of unknowns but a ton of potential.
The way our offense performed in 2020, unknowns may not be that bad!

2. Our Back up QB gone
3. Our starting RB gone

This is the one that hurts the most.

We are going to be BETTER!

A lot of older history will be gone and the young bunch can build their own legacy. We won’t be trying to bend our offense to “give touches”....This line has the potential to protect Adrian better AND run block better.

Stepp will be a “step up” or some other back will break through and our Receiver Corp becomes solid.

I have not felt this optomistic about the Huskers since Frost took over.....

and I think it starts next year even with a tough schedule.

Just the overall “cleanliness“ of our play will be a remarkable change.

And I think the D will be top notch.

Kool aid?? Nah...this one is my little voice....

that same little voice I learned to trust in the Army.

Kept me alive.

I can FEEL IT coming next year!

Wonder where peeps place things on the quarterback depth chart/issues? :cool:

2. Our Back up QB gone
3. Our starting RB gone

Yep. Time for some deep breaths. Can our remade OL be legit?

I hope this forces Frost's hand into simplifying his offense. I've long said that his schemes work well when you have a deep, tenured roster with plenty of backups to throw into the rotation. It's not dissimilar in principle to what Osborne did with most kids spending their first 2-3 years solely in development and only hitting the field as upperclassmen.

But inheriting a complete program rebuild means you don't get the luxury of an established bench. And I don't think Frost took all that into consideration when he took over the reins from Riley.

Here's hoping that means we'll see a more streamlined playbook that focuses on athleticism and mismatches instead of complex schemes and 2- or 3-layer reads, motions, fakes, etc. I like a good gadget play as much as anyone, but with a young, athletic team sometimes the best thing you can do is just run downhill (and run faster) than your competition. Wins serve as powerful motivation and once the train is barreling down the winning track yon can always start adding in complexity.

Reminds me of when I've help build music programs in various churches. You don't start with adding in flashy guitar solos and complex chord changes. You start with making sure everyone can play in rhythm and learn to hear one another so that the mix isn't too heavy on piano or bass, etc. Once you get a few successful performances under your belt, everyone loosens up and starts enjoying it. That's when you start tweaking the way the bass player attacks a chorus or work on changing up your drum fills. You don't start on that stuff if the band can't play cohesively together first.

Agree...get a clean crisp attack going first...regardless how simple...then go from there.

I always felt that last year‘s offense was more interested in complication, misdirection, shifts, different sets and all kinds of trickery and complexity.

And that team just couldn’t handle it. Constant blown plays, penalties, missed blocks, bumping into each other..etc.

Tell me Northwestern has a “good” or complicated offense...or Minny for that matter.

But what they run....they run clean.

now if the team can be as crisp and as complex as literally the last half of the Rutgers game then look out! They are going to give defenses fits.

But we have to put those old demons to bed first...Especially at the start of the season which sets the tone.

2. Our Back up QB gone
3. Our starting RB gone

As lousy as we were last year, even losing some of our best players, we should be as good as this year on offense. Of course we have no proven receivers, no proven running backs, a mediocre (maybe) OL, a talented but wildly inconsistent QB, and among the worst play-calling coaches in the business ..that ought to guarantee we won't be bowling any time soon. Hopefully, the D can carry us.

Last edited:

2. Our Back up QB gone
3. Our starting RB gone

Serious question: how many BIG chunk plays did Wandale make for us? I know his departure is a big loss; he was dependable, and I would want him back. But I dont remember him involved in a lot of big chuck plays. GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back