• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"Spirits" in Memorial Stadium

RED CRUSADER

RED CRUSADER
2 Year Member
WHY are we not having spirits in M.S.??? Other schools allow them--even in the BIG. It would help to fill up the stadium. The thought that, "it's not good for 'kids' to be around," is not anymore a pro argument because the kids are around spirits in their homes. I live in the Bible Belt and there are pockets of prohibitioners in each state, some use different bases of discussion for their arguments. SEC stadiums have allowed spirits inside. IMHO, I'm just sayin!

WHY are we not having spirits in M.S.??? Other schools allow them--even in the BIG. It would help to fill up the stadium. The thought that, "it's not good for 'kids' to be around," is not anymore a pro argument because the kids are around spirits in their homes. I live in the Bible Belt and there are pockets of prohibitioners in each state, some use different bases of discussion for their arguments. SEC stadiums have allowed spirits inside. IMHO, I'm just sayin!
Rivals just put out an article on what we are doing to attract a younger fan base and it basically was stated we aren't looking at doing this at all. Everything else we do is moot if we don't bring alcohol in for the younger fan base. Just my opinion.

Rivals just put out an article on what we are doing to attract a younger fan base and it basically was stated we aren't looking at doing this at all. Everything else we do is moot if we don't bring alcohol in for the younger fan base. Just my opinion.

That just doesn't make a lot sense. They need something to attract people plus with the hit the athletic departments are taking due to Covid you would think they would look at what could potentially be a massive source of revenue. Like when the Great Depression hit, the 21st Amendment was passed because the government needed the money from taxes on liquor to help pay for the New Deal programs.

DONU needs to become more proactive in these matters. Stop living in the past and be at forefront of these issues. I understand the arguments against liquor sales but I'm an OKC Thunder season ticket holder, and the past ten years I've been going to games, there has been one incident of a fan being ushered out because he was unruly drunk (he was a Dallas Mavericks fan so that explains a lot ;) ).

Last edited:
'Spirits' will never be allowed for the reason of generating money. At some point after repeated badgering by ticket holders it will eventually be allowed. Keep it up people you will get your wish.

Personally, I have been against it, I drink enough before the game, but I am getting to the point of does it really matter. I think it would take a couple of years for the 'newness' to wear off that I would anticipate a few problems. Then after people have gotten used to it I would anticipate very few issues.
I do think that only allowing it in the suites is not a good idea. Either allow it for everyone and put limits and controls or don't allow it period.

People sneak it in anyway.

And while we're at it, can we serve Coke again? Good lord, that's probably why we keep losing.

I have only seen 3/4 ugly incidents in the stadium. All of those incidents, alcohol was at least a contributing factor. I really cannot see any redeeming factor in bringing in alcohol.

One Word:

Liability. When you serve alcohol you also assume liability if someone is over-served and then injuries themselves or others (Dram Shop Liability).

A small bar might serve hundreds of people on a good weekend. A big bar might serve thousands. Most bars that are successful and open for any time have probably dealt with some dram issues. Serving 20-50K people would greatly increase the likelihood of something happening that would expose UNL to serious liability.

In conclusion, you can blame the lawyers for not being able to buy beer at games. That and the dangerous nature of alcohol in general.

5-10 mg cannabis cookies/brownies/muffins would be a much safer option...IMO:Biggrin:

I have only seen 3/4 ugly incidents in the stadium. All of those incidents, alcohol was at least a contributing factor. I really cannot see any redeeming factor in bringing in alcohol.

So alcohol was a problem even though it's not allowed in the stadium? Look, I get it. It's like this message board, there's bad apples in every crowd. It is what it is.

Creighton basketball or the city of Omaha--I can't remember which--makes $95k a game from alcohol sales I've heard. Now do the math assuming Nebraska fans can consume as much as apple-martini-pinky-finger-up Creighton fan--Memorial Stadium has six times the people and six games a year. That's $3.42 million a year for the University.

And don't kid yourself, the problems you refer to are people drinking outside the stadium or at Barry's, etc.. If you're going to have the problems, why not get paid for it?

*** is right, if you want the Nebraska fan base to grow you better figure out ways to get your students and their friends to games. I'm not saying alcohol is the only way to do that, but it might make the empty seats in southeast stadium shrink a bit.

Creighton games, as much as I hate to say it because I'm not a Jaysker, are a lot of fun. There is an amazing amount of socializing and networking going on in the Lexus Club and the concourses throughout. Do they have problems? I've never really seen it but I'm sure they have incidents from time to time. I don't think they get a bad rap for it.

Your higher end ticket holders in the Champions Club etc. are drinking! They flood the elevators before games coming from the parking lot cup in hand and they flood the elevators at halftime for a quick drink or two and come back with cup in hand.

NU needs to take a page from Creighton's playbook, and I think they need to do it in a hurry. Sell out streak? I'd be shocked if that continues, but if you want it to, NU better look at Creighton and generate that social and networking atmospheres inside the stadium. I don't know that football, especially bad to average football, is going to cut it. COVID showed a lot of people how to enjoy a game from home. How many are going to come back to a dry, inconvenient stadium?

CWS added booze a few years ago and I hated the idea. I drink plenty down there all day/night tailgating. I thought it would make lines longer etc...but it has been pretty uneventful. It’s always so blazing hot that unless you slam that $6 beer it gets warm quickly. All iced down at the tailgate!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back