• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke Officially transferring

Luke M transferring is not shocking. I had very high hopes for him, but Adrian Martinez dug in and took the position back. Loved watching Luke and was hopeful he would stay.

I am fine with young men deciding to seek greener grass elsewhere. That's America

That said, Frost and his staff signed very attractive classes only to have significant attrition before and then after they arrive on campus. Why? Clearly, there was some miscues by staff in those recruited but these athletes do not buy in nor trust this coaching staff.

The most frustrating thing for me is recruiting is the only thing this staff has brought so far (yes defense is better this and stunk the first two) that was clearly a step in the right direction compared to previous staffs but when you factor in who is left from the last three recruiting classes, we have lost difference makers plus depth. The adjusted ranking for these classes would put us in bottom half of the Big Ten instead of ~4th

So where does this leave us? I think we are in Purgatory and likely have a losing record next season. If so, then Frost needs to be held accountable because to date the only consequence for him has been another paycheck.

As I remember, LM was somewhat of a project at quarterback anyway because I believe he only played one year of QB in high school. I think it became apparent that his real value to the team would be i as a wide receiver/slot receiver.

that is weird.. Frost didn't bother to give him playing time in a year that was a wash for players. Does Frost not play the better players?
Not sure... in an 8 game season, it probably was not easy getting everyone in as much as he'd like. We didn't have any throw away non-conference games this year.

Last edited:
I wish Luke luck. As I've been saying (and others have noted too) he had a shot at QB and it was plain as day that his passing was a gigantic hole in his game and he was just not a guy who could lead NU as a starter. Phenomenal athlete. But at best, he's a "sometimes-QB" for a change of pace on a few series but this offense can't be McCaffrey left, McCaffrey right, McCaffrey up the middle, McCaffrey only making short passes.

In a lot of ways--specific to the QB room--this is probably better. Smothers and Haarberg will get more reps and get a shot to play more and I think they have more upside in the passing game and are plenty mobile enough. Having another year with McCaffrey getting the reps and attention when it was ultimately a dead end in terms of winning in the B1G wasn't going to be productive and Frost needs to stop wasting time on projects at that position.

that is weird.. Frost didn't bother to give him playing time in a year that was a wash for players. Does Frost not play the better players?
Agreed. You needed to get him some snaps. I have heard the exact opposite regarding Smothers progress. I think the staff has real concerns and are in real trouble if AM struggles or goes down with an injury.

Geez, we're losing players like I started losing hair 30 years ago. I get a couple here and there wanting to go someplace for playing time but the guys leaving saw the field plenty. How many have left since Frost announced he wasn't going to make any coaching changes? Starting to think he's either really stubborn or kinda stupid.
Two were occasional starters, but quite often saw the field only sporadically, and had some issues staying healthy. I doubt we were game planning our entire offenses around them. The 3rd, well, nice kid, showed his class not transferring after losing out to Jurgens, but he obviously wasn't seen as a good replacement when he was passed over by his brother as backup. To me that spoke volumes, more so than losing out to Jurgens initially.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back