• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No changes to the coaching staff

Yep, AM was a stud in year one, right out of HS. Cigar man had little to do with AM's prowess having only worked with him for a few months. He went downhill from there. Cigar man was unable to turn AM around in three years and not able to develop LM in two years.
Yep, he learned the entire offense all on his own.
Learned to throw from the hip too, on the run, perfected it,all in one year.
He was so good, theres no stopping him.

Hes so good,he even smashed the stupid qb test, all on his own.

Problem is, when he plays 11 other guys, he cant do it, all on his own.

He can win in this offense without being a Heisman or #1 draft pick kind of passer. 100%. Can't miss wide open guys and that goes for anyone funders center.

He misses wide open guys and doesn't see the 'under' defenders that intercept his passes.

Alternate theory: keeping our staff mostly intact is not bad, most of our struggles weren't related to a position coach not being good.

Defense played very well last year, no reason to make any changes there. The spot we need to improve (edge rush), the guy coaching those players was in his first year back.

Offense we literally just changed OC/WR coach one year ago. Blowing that up again based on one weird, shortened year would be dumb. Struggled in part because of a square peg/round hole offensive line, QBs hurt, and over-reliance on Wandale.

Special teams needs to get better, and we made a change there. Sounds like there'll be more position coach collaboration there, even though one of the full time coaches won't have the title. Not the most common way to do things, but probably overblown as an issue - other teams (Oklahoma, for one), also don't have full time staff here, and some teams that have an official coordinator, the guy with that job doesn't actually do much with STs except hold the title. It'll come down to details, not job titles.

We need to make some managerial type changes to how certain things are run - I hope SF is doing that, and in at least a couple areas, there's confirmation that he is. The current staff is capable of putting a product on the field in 2021 that's a significant upgrade from 2020.

Alternate theory: keeping our staff mostly intact is not bad, most of our struggles weren't related to a position coach not being good.

Defense played very well last year, no reason to make any changes there. The spot we need to improve (edge rush), the guy coaching those players was in his first year back.

Offense we literally just changed OC/WR coach one year ago. Blowing that up again based on one weird, shortened year would be dumb. Struggled in part because of a square peg/round hole offensive line, QBs hurt, and over-reliance on Wandale.

Special teams needs to get better, and we made a change there. Sounds like there'll be more position coach collaboration there, even though one of the full time coaches won't have the title. Not the most common way to do things, but probably overblown as an issue - other teams (Oklahoma, for one), also don't have full time staff here, and some teams that have an official coordinator, the guy with that job doesn't actually do much with STs except hold the title. It'll come down to details, not job titles.

We need to make some managerial type changes to how certain things are run - I hope SF is doing that, and in at least a couple areas, there's confirmation that he is. The current staff is capable of putting a product on the field in 2021 that's a significant upgrade from 2020.
Spot on. Although, do we know for certain that no coach is going to be named as STs coach? We’re changing analyst, but I don’t know if Frost made it clear that he’s not going to assign a coach to be ‘in charge’ of STs. That may be coming yet. Even if he doesn’t, like you said he has identified that it has to improve. Whatever you prioritize tends to improve in any organization. I expect STs to get a lot more attention, finally. It has to happen. It’s been horrible.

As to your other comments about firing coaches, you are 100 percent correct in your analysis. There’s no need for change on defense right now. And we just changed to OC/WR coach last season. Gotta give him time, and that includes his position coaches as well.

The problem for the average fan is they are incredibly frustrated, to put it mildly. I don’t blame them. Three losing seasons to start off the Frost era sucks. So fans (some fans) just want someone’s head to roll, even if it’s not actually going to make us better. I’m of the mind that if the few staff changes that have been made and the strategic changes that are coming don’t produce at least a .500 season next season then it’s time to make some changes. But we aren’t going to know that until November/December so there’s really no sense in continuing to beat this horse to death. This is the year we find out if Frost is capable of being a true head coach, a CEO if you will. I like what I’m hearing from him so far this off-season as he appears to be identifying the same problems we have griped about here. If his thoughts are aligned with our Huskermax wisdom then we know he’s a smart man and good things are gonna happen. ;)

Spot on. Although, do we know for certain that no coach is going to be named as STs coach? We’re changing analyst, but I don’t know if Frost made it clear that he’s not going to assign a coach to be ‘in charge’ of STs. That may be coming yet. Even if he doesn’t, like you said he has identified that it has to improve. Whatever you prioritize tends to improve in any organization. I expect STs to get a lot more attention, finally. It has to happen. It’s been horrible.

As to your other comments about firing coaches, you are 100 percent correct in your analysis. There’s no need for change on defense right now. And we just changed to OC/WR coach last season. Gotta give him time, and that includes his position coaches as well.

The problem for the average fan is they are incredibly frustrated, to put it mildly. I don’t blame them. Three losing seasons to start off the Frost era sucks. So fans (some fans) just want someone’s head to roll, even if it’s not actually going to make us better. I’m of the mind that if the few staff changes that have been made and the strategic changes that are coming don’t produce at least a .500 season next season then it’s time to make some changes. But we aren’t going to know that until November/December so there’s really no sense in continuing to beat this horse to death. This is the year we find out if Frost is capable of being a true head coach, a CEO if you will. I like what I’m hearing from him so far this off-season as he appears to be identifying the same problems we have griped about here. If his thoughts are aligned with our Huskermax wisdom then we know he’s a smart man and good things are gonna happen. ;)
On the ST's coach, I took that from this article - not a direct quote from Frost, but what Sip said after having a conversation with him:

"Frost noted that Nebraska outside linebackers coach Mike Dawson has been a special-teams coordinator in the past, "and should be a real asset for us in that area." But the Husker head coach said he likely won't tack on a special-teams coordinator tag to any of the current staff of 10 assistants."

I suppose "likely" gives some wiggle room, but it doesn't seem like someone will have coordinator as part of their title.

Link

On the ST's coach, I took that from this article - not a direct quote from Frost, but what Sip said after having a conversation with him:

"Frost noted that Nebraska outside linebackers coach Mike Dawson has been a special-teams coordinator in the past, "and should be a real asset for us in that area." But the Husker head coach said he likely won't tack on a special-teams coordinator tag to any of the current staff of 10 assistants."

I suppose "likely" gives some wiggle room, but it doesn't seem like someone will have coordinator as part of their title.

Link
Got it. Thanks. I read that one but I forgot that line I guess. Getting old! I hope he is still considering it. I’d prefer someone be responsible for STs, even though I acknowledge your point about what other successful programs do, and that duty is often more of a title than anything. It’s such as area of need, I just want to see it made a serious priority.

The difference is, we pay $20 to post here versus SF that is paid a cool $5 million per year. Has he done anything but put up some window dressing on our issues? That's to be seen but I like the thought of a more CEO type leader. I have never heard a coach anywhere in the country that ADMITTED to missing a part of the game because he was thinking about his offense and what they were going to do next. Isn't the D and Special Teams also his? Hopefully he is learning some valuable lessons but as much as I like to believe he can change his stripes he goes back and says he is going to be more involved with the QB. If your can't trust your position coach to develop 4 guys you need to find a new position coach. Sounds like he is talking out of both sides of his mouth to some degree. And with that how do you give up 50% of the play calling?

The difference is, we pay $20 to post here versus SF that is paid a cool $5 million per year. Has he done anything but put up some window dressing on our issues? That's to be seen but I like the thought of a more CEO type leader. I have never heard a coach anywhere in the country that ADMITTED to missing a part of the game because he was thinking about his offense and what they were going to do next. Isn't the D and Special Teams also his? Hopefully he is learning some valuable lessons but as much as I like to believe he can change his stripes he goes back and says he is going to be more involved with the QB. If your can't trust your position coach to develop 4 guys you need to find a new position coach. Sounds like he is talking out of both sides of his mouth to some degree. And with that how do you give up 50% of the play calling?
I took his comment as he and OCL split some play calling duties in 2020 and although he didn’t get specifically say it I think/hope the intent is to give OCL the play calling duties in 2021, with input from the OC, which is very common in CFB. That gives Frost the ability to manage the entire game on Saturdays. I think that’s a much needed change in a positive direction.

Last edited:

'LM has been in the program for 2 years. I don't get to see practices, just games. One TD and 6 int's tells me that LM is not being developed as a QB.

Luke has a HUGE upside, if he can get stronger.. that is his main issue right now. Of course he needs a good QB coach, but arm strength was the biggest issue.

I took his comment as he and OCL split some play calling duties in 2020 and although he didn’t get specifically say it I think/hope the intent is to give OCL the play calling duties in 2021, with input from the OC, which is very common in CFB. That gives Frost the ability to manage the entire game on Saturdays. I think that’s a much needed change in a positive direction.
Your probably right but if he was giving up the play calling other than offering input I wouldn't call that splitting. I've seen it too many times at Auburn. Gus Malzahn really loved calling a game and due to pressure gave it up. When it wasn't working Gus was back to calling plays. I think Scott is from the same mold and do any of us know what kind of success Lubick has had calling plays? We do know that what we are doing now isn't working very well. I just think it's more execution than play calling. Sure we get cute sometimes but we are limited with what we can do with the run game and we are limited with what we can do with the last year's receivers. Plug a bit more talent in there and I don't think anyone has any problems with AM or SF's play calling.

Your probably right but if he was giving up the play calling other than offering input I wouldn't call that splitting. I've seen it too many times at Auburn. Gus Malzahn really loved calling a game and due to pressure gave it up. When it wasn't working Gus was back to calling plays. I think Scott is from the same mold and do any of us know what kind of success Lubick has had calling plays? We do know that what we are doing now isn't working very well. I just think it's more execution than play calling. Sure we get cute sometimes but we are limited with what we can do with the run game and we are limited with what we can do with the last year's receivers. Plug a bit more talent in there and I don't think anyone has any problems with AM or SF's play calling.
Fair points. We’ll find out this fall. Hoping for good things.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back