• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Snow

We haven't gotten anything, yet. However, the school district was scared of what could be heading our way and called off school for tomorrow at 6:00 pm tonight. I will be surprised if we get much. Even remote learning was called off.

You're in Omaha? I should know, but I tend to forget everyone's location.

I think Lincoln to Omaha will get at least 4-5 inches tomorrow. 6-10 would be a reasonable mid-range forecast. But there will be a heavier band of 10-15 inches setting up somewhere in East-Southeast Nebraska. The models have been generally suggesting more the Southeast corner of the state -- south of both Lincoln and Omaha -- but there's some models trending a bit more north now with increasing risk for more than 4-5 inches in OMA and LNK. Those heavy snow bands are hard to pinpoint until they start to set up, as a 50 mile shift can be the difference between a few inches and getting buried. And the odds are better than not that some part of East-Southeast Nebraska will indeed get buried. For that matter, another round of lighter snow is due Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

I'd probably be doing all sorts of forecast analysis if Nebraska weather impacted my employment -- fortunately, it does not. :) I'll be enjoying 77 degrees tomorrow afternoon, which has basically zero impact on the power grid in Texas.

Last edited:

I think Lincoln to Omaha will get at least 4-5 inches tomorrow. 6-10 would be a reasonable mid-range forecast. But there will be a heavier band of 10-15 inches setting up somewhere in East-Southeast Nebraska. The models have been generally suggesting more the Southeast corner of the state -- south of both Lincoln and Omaha -- but there's some models trending a bit more north now with increasing risk for more than 4-5 inches in OMA and LNK. Those heavy snow bands are hard to pinpoint until they start to set up, as a 50 mile shift can be the difference between a few inches and getting buried. And the odds are better than not that some part of East-Southeast Nebraska will indeed get buried. For that matter, another round of lighter snow is due Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

I'd probably be doing all sorts of forecast analysis if Nebraska weather impacted my employment -- fortunately, it does not. :) I'll be enjoying 77 degrees tomorrow afternoon, which has basically zero impact on the power grid in Texas.
No, I am in Salina, KS.

I'm surprised that it appears school closings doesn't mean virtual classes from home.

Not sure the teachers union would go for that, plus we don't have to pay them if they are not in school. Our district is/has been in person since the start of the school year and the ones doing virtual, well, lets just say it is not good. So long story short, day off.

How hard is it to be a weatherman in Texas? There are 2 forecasts, it's either "today is gonna be a warm one" or "today is gonna be a scorcher"

:Lol:

Not sure the teachers union would go for that, plus we don't have to pay them if they are not in school. Our district is/has been in person since the start of the school year and the ones doing virtual, well, lets just say it is not good. So long story short, day off.
I don't know about your district, but OPS teachers still get paid on snow days. Teachers are contracted to teach a certain number of days. If the allowed number of snow days is exceeded, they extend the school year. Para-professionals (teachers' aids) do not get paid if there's no school. I think most educators agree that virutal learning is not as effective as contact learning, but for snow days, it's a viable alternative to no school at all.

No, I am in Salina, KS.

Oh, yes -- I knew that, but only because you reminded me. :) I actually just drove through Salina this past Friday.

You being on the southern edge of the winter type precipitation are likely to see 2-3 precipitation types (a mix), which will keep Salina from getting buried in snow. The airport there reported freezing rain this morning, I see.

Anyhow, it's a whole different story for Lincoln and Omaha -- they are going to get buried in snow, and its already piling up!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back