• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offensive line optimism!!!

I’ve read that “this is the year” about the oline for a decade... every year It’s the same result, the veterans aren’t that good, get outplayed by younger guys that turn into the not that good veterans being outplayed by younger guys the following year. Perhaps this is the year the young guys are more than just “the backup QB” if ya will, and actually live up to what I’d pretty reasonable expectations.. #GBR
Thing is, i havnt seen the recruiting to back p all whatever fans think about the O line til recently.

So, if these guys dont pan out, then its a curse.
If they do, maybe they have the right mental attitude and are simply bigger and faster better athletes.

In 2020, yes, it was overblown; at the start of 2019? I was curled up in the fetal position.
It got better. I was pretty critical about them. I think the "benching" in the Ia. game was needed. But so many things play into that snap. Heck, watched the NFL games this weekend, windy and not windy, some snaps were terrible and some enough so to make the qb leave his ready position. Ask the Ravens.

Thing is, i havnt seen the recruiting to back p all whatever fans think about the O line til recently.

So, if these guys dont pan out, then its a curse.
If they do, maybe they have the right mental attitude and are simply bigger and faster better athletes.

To the bolded, it's coaching.

We've seen freshman come in compete and hold their own. If Jurgens, Benhart, Corcoran and Piper don't all improve before they leave Lincoln or even worse take steps in the other direction, we have an issue. I for one am excited about this group.

We've seen freshman come in compete and hold their own. If Jurgens, Benhart, Corcoran and Piper don't all improve before they leave Lincoln or even worse take steps in the other direction, we have an issue. I for one am excited about this group.
If we were branded soft, I say, we were just good enough, thats in the past.

I think part of the problem has been being able to turn it on and turn it off has been a problem.
What I mean by that is, under Riley, and several times under SF, actually, every time its been tried under SF, when weve decided to run th ball, its worked, and worked well, under Riley, everyone can remember that UCLA game, or even though struggling, Janos wiscy game.
But none looked like the Rutgers game, because prior to that, with injured and or young rbs, it was mainly the qb run game show, so designed runs from the rb spot looked only ok, but that identity everyone harps about wasnt a factor in those games, as we had injuries or new people in.

The mystery is, why stop, or use them so little?The new guys that werent hurt?
I think it came down to comfort level, as in, the staff wants utility knives in their rbs, guys that can pass pro every time, can efficiently deal with the mesh point on qb reads, guys that can consistently catch the ball, all in timing etc.
When we saw fumbles at mesh point, or near fumbles, when we saw backs not lined up properly for pass pro etc, the confidence went out the window. These were after all most of the guys first carries etc.

Now, a year in, the rb room bigger and better than ever, the O line beginning to mesh, everyone to a man save Ervin and Morrison with experience, it should really show up this year.
Give our qbs a good run game, the pass game makes fans think how much better our qbs have improved, which brings us around to a fan known truth, it all starts up front.

Last edited:
I’ve read that “this is the year” about the oline for a decade... every year It’s the same result, the veterans aren’t that good, get outplayed by younger guys that turn into the not that good veterans being outplayed by younger guys the following year. Perhaps this is the year the young guys are more than just “the backup QB” if ya will, and actually live up to what I’d pretty reasonable expectations.. #GBR
I think this feels differently because we are getting the top recruits. Bernhardt and Cochoran are both highly rated guys from the Midwest. The kid from Elkhorn is highly rated. Cam Jurgens was a five star tight end that is so athletic. This just feels differently than those past lines. I wasn’t this excited for any lines under Bo or Riley.

I have to learn how to spell all their names. So many young guys. I’m definitely excited about them.

I have to learn how to spell all their names. So many young guys. I’m definitely excited about them.

I was just referring to them as 'The Kids on the O line', but took a couple minutes to look at the roster.

I know half our fan base wants to discount the Rutgers game because, well, Rutgers, but Corcoran looked like he was in his third year in the program when he played in that game, not making his first start. A line is a lot like a mixed drink. It's a balance of things and consistency in the ingredients is one of them. I understand people just want it to be 'Plug and play', but that's just not realistic, especially with younger players. We saw some good things toward the end of the year. Not perfection. Not dominance. Good things. I like the group and I think they'll be a good unit, likely the best on the offensive side of the ball. Simple as that.

I think this feels differently because we are getting the top recruits. Bernhardt and Cochoran are both highly rated guys from the Midwest. The kid from Elkhorn is highly rated. Cam Jurgens was a five star tight end that is so athletic. This just feels differently than those past lines. I wasn’t this excited for any lines under Bo or Riley.
All of them more highly rated than Farniok or Jaimes. Those two turned out pretty well, but its just two.
We will soon have four higher than those two starting, plus an older guy that used to start , either as backup or starting.
A total upgrade.
So, thats two from the MR era, four already from the SF era.
Plus theres some good potential in the two deep.

Last edited:
I want to believe . . . but I think we're on year 18 or something of "the offensive line is going to be a strength of this team next year" and it's yet to actually happen.

Seems that way doesn't it? The offense absolutely has to step up (and catch up) to match the progress the defense has made. If they do, we have a chance to have a pretty good season even with that schedule. At this point, I would consider a winning record and a bowl game to be a pretty good season.

Seems that way doesn't it? The offense absolutely has to step up (and catch up) to match the progress the defense has made. If they do, we have a chance to have a pretty good season even with that schedule. At this point, I would consider a winning record and a bowl game to be a pretty good season.

I'd say it would be more like bordering on a miracle . . . but I sure hope the Huskers can do it. Pretty tall order given the schedule and the state of the offense & special teams.

every single one of those guys got there star ranking based on how well they do in a passing game...pass protection or pass catching. for as long i can remember winning games in the B1G meant running the ball and wanting to run the football. neither of which this team has or has wanted to do. for every drew brees led boilermakers there are a ton of ron dayne, eddie george, jeremy langford led B1G titles. not sure who the walk on kid will be this year that shows up and puts his knuckles in the ground and unseats the glamorous 4* recruit that don't know what a 3 point stance is but id guess there will be 1.....or 2. i don't follow the recruiting cycle as much as some, but i keep and eye on it enough to know that the star rankings go out the window once these kids hit campus. nebraska has held its own within the division in the star rankings across the line for the past decade. only to, at the end of the day, have 3* hawkeyes and badgers develop into road graders and 4* cornhuskers develop into turnstile. until this staff develops... the recruits coming in to get everyone all exited, will continue to underwhelm.

every single one of those guys got there star ranking based on how well they do in a passing game...pass protection or pass catching. for as long i can remember winning games in the B1G meant running the ball and wanting to run the football. neither of which this team has or has wanted to do. for every drew brees led boilermakers there are a ton of ron dayne, eddie george, jeremy langford led B1G titles. not sure who the walk on kid will be this year that shows up and puts his knuckles in the ground and unseats the glamorous 4* recruit that don't know what a 3 point stance is but id guess there will be 1.....or 2. i don't follow the recruiting cycle as much as some, but i keep and eye on it enough to know that the star rankings go out the window once these kids hit campus. nebraska has held its own within the division in the star rankings across the line for the past decade. only to, at the end of the day, have 3* hawkeyes and badgers develop into road graders and 4* cornhuskers develop into turnstile. until this staff develops... the recruits coming in to get everyone all exited, will continue to underwhelm.
I agree our development hasn’t been good under three different coaching staffs. Offensive line is a place I feel we should be dominant and never are. As far as Wisconsin and Iowa it’s true they have developed their three star recruits better but they usually have a lot of upper class men starting. Frost and company have only had a couple years to develop these younger guys. I still believe it takes longer with the line and we’re finally getting into some of these guys third year. If it doesn’t develop I will have serious concerns with this staffs development there. Frost has recruited the line better than Pelini and Ryley.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back