• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I'm taking a look at our starters.....and smiling?

Your right. My view is AM will always be mediocre. Mentally not tough and turnover machine buys you 6 or less wins next year

IMO, AM showed he was definitely mentally tough during the 2020 season -- and also a great teammate. After being benched, he could have made excuses, hung his head, and thrown in the towel. Instead, he never publicly complained or made excuses, worked his butt off and got better, and ultimately regained the job as starting QB. Yes, he needs to work on ball security. All of the skill players on offense need to work on it every practice. Over and over. And over. I really don't care if players learn a single new play during spring practice. Emphasize ball security (offense) / creating turnovers (defense) and eliminating pre-snap mental mistakes (reads, lining up properly). If Nebraska can accomplish those things during games, the Huskers will be much improved and will have a better opportunity at winning close games.

Both the Martinez' remind me of each other in that they could both amaze me on the field, but for every time they did that they did something equally disastrous like fumbles, etc. Rutgers this year is a perfect example, one of AM's best and worst games ever depending on how you look at it.

I haven't given up on AM being able to win us games, I think he can, but I'm certainly not optimistic that he for sure will. He's a good leader and teammate.

IMO, AM showed he was definitely mentally tough during the 2020 season -- and also a great teammate. After being benched, he could have made excuses, hung his head, and thrown in the towel. Instead, he never publicly complained or made excuses, worked his butt off and got better, and ultimately regained the job as starting QB. Yes, he needs to work on ball security. All of the skill players on offense need to work on it every practice. Over and over. And over. I really don't care if players learn a single new play during spring practice. Emphasize ball security (offense) / creating turnovers (defense) and eliminating pre-snap mental mistakes (reads, lining up properly). If Nebraska can accomplish those things during games, the Huskers will be much improved and will have a better opportunity at winning close games.
AM demonstrated good leadership and being a good teammate.

He is however not mentally tough. Watch him when he is dropping back to throw. It is rare that he even looks for his 2nd read god forbid if he ever got to three. His lack of mental toughness is a huge contributor to his turnover issues. Mentally tough players don't make the bone head mistakes that AM still makes after 30+ starts.

Wish for miracle if you want but he will never win more than 6 games next year with him track record.

Regarding your list above: I think Ezra Miller (6'6' 325 transfer from Iowa) will make a push for a starting position on the OL next fall. If all else is well, this young man looks like a clone of those Iowa OL boys that seem to push the league around year after year.

I forgot all about this guy. If he is what we thought he might be, and can push for playing time, that will be a huge addition

I dont remember our QB missing wide open recievers, im sure it happened, but not often. I DO remember some wide open recievers dropping nice passes though. More often than not, our recievers were not getting open in the 17-35 yd range.

I wonder if they just didnt have the speed, was it route running issues, not knowing the playbook well enuf ? We didnt seem to have this prob in 18 with a freshman QB, when he had spielman and morgan as recievers.

AM is a warrior and a good teammate. One problem is he has a glass jaw and has never been healthy. The other problems are, he as tunnel vision with receivers, try's to get any receiver over the middle killed by hanging them out to dry (see Speilman, Wandale, and TE's), and misses wide open receivers down field. He doesn't go through progressions quick enough and forces things that aren't there. The kid battles hard, but unless things take a dramatic turn this off-season, I'm afraid we're not going to see much better results from the offense.

Stepp is no longer eligible. The NCAA "indefinitely" postponed voting on the one free transfer rule that was expected to pass this month. They're going to wait to vote until after the Supreme Court rules on that amateurism case. I seriously doubt that the rule passes in time for the 2021 football season.
If like the past couple years the NCAA hands out waivers like they are going out of style. I would not worry.

He is however not mentally tough. Watch him when he is dropping back to throw. It is rare that he even looks for his 2nd read god forbid if he ever got to three. His lack of mental toughness is a huge contributor to his turnover issues. Mentally tough players don't make the bone head mistakes that AM still makes after 30+ starts.

Wish for miracle if you want but he will never win more than 6 games next year with him track record.

Not going through his progressions is a lack of mental toughness? That doesn't make any sense.

I think you're confusing mental toughness with processing speed and vision. I also don't think his bonehead plays are a result of toughness but are just that, bone head plays and every QB has them. I'm not confident AM will change, but I also don't think he's mentally weak.

I think you're confusing mental toughness with processing speed and vision. I also don't think his bonehead plays are a result of toughness but are just that, bone head plays and every QB has them. I'm not confident AM will change, but I also don't think he's mentally weak.
You get benched nowadays? In the days of 'dont you dare yell at me coach?'

Hes a leader, came back strong, allowed what today is considered a no no and allowed it and the time to get himself right.
His play obviously picked up, as he was throwing under 50% in one game, yet ended setting the completion record.
I think some fans dont put the importance where it belongs when its that important to them.
If its that important, then look into it before forming and opinion.
Nice post btw

Not going through his progressions is a lack of mental toughness? That doesn't make any sense.
ok you don't like the expression mental toughness well how about he exhibits very little discipline whether it's his lack of progressing thru his reads or how he handles the football when he runs or with his mind blowing throwing lateral passes to RB that were NOT supposed to be lateral passes.

ok you don't like the expression mental toughness well how about he exhibits very little discipline whether it's his lack of progressing thru his reads or how he handles the football when he runs or with his mind blowing throwing lateral passes to RB that were NOT supposed to be lateral passes.

Ok

I dont remember our QB missing wide open recievers, im sure it happened, but not often. I DO remember some wide open recievers dropping nice passes though. More often than not, our recievers were not getting open in the 17-35 yd range.

I wonder if they just didnt have the speed, was it route running issues, not knowing the playbook well enuf ? We didnt seem to have this prob in 18 with a freshman QB, when he had spielman and morgan as recievers.
It doesn't do me any good to disagree if I can't remember specific instances, but I felt like a couple overthrows and/or missed open receivers per game really cost us.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back