• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Luke McCaffery Transferring

The biggest thing for me in relation to our QB’s and coaching is this: when I watched multiple games the lack of fundamentals when setting up to make a “non pressured pass” was bad and is not a good look for recruits. During one of the last games on TV AM had a wide open receiver and no defender near AM...instead of gathering himself and using proper footwork he threw while running off the wrong foot (unnecessary) wildly incomplete. As I watched I literally could not believe it!! The announcer said the EXACT same thing after the play...
This is not good to be seeing/thinking/hearing on National TV for your offense/QB/ recruiting.
Devil's advocate for you (and i'm not a Verdu fan so i'm just "typing out loud")....

That is what we teach. How to throw on the run. We spend more time on that than setting up in the pocket. We don't let our guys work with QB coaches in the offseason. The throw you are referencing is what allowed us to get guys like McCaffrey and Smothers here. Unreal athletic QBs that we were going to be moving around and they wouldn't have to set their feet to throw and change their motion. We would teach them to anatomically throw correctly while they were using their athleticism.

Just a little bit of the "why" for you. But I get your point for future recruits.

Devil's advocate for you (and i'm not a Verdu fan so i'm just "typing out loud")....

That is what we teach. How to throw on the run. We spend more time on that than setting up in the pocket. We don't let our guys work with QB coaches in the offseason. The throw you are referencing is what allowed us to get guys like McCaffrey and Smothers here. Unreal athletic QBs that we were going to be moving around and they wouldn't have to set their feet to throw and change their motion. We would teach them to anatomically throw correctly while they were using their athleticism.

Just a little bit of the "why" for you. But I get your point for future recruits.
Thanks and I understand that may be helpful when you need to throw while running...but when the announcers on TV are commenting on the poor fundamentals on what should have been an easy completion has to give a pause to any recruit/parent watching this display of bad balance and inaccurate throw. It was not a good look for our QB guru IMO

Wandale left, Mills left for draft, Farniok left for draft, I’m sure Omar Manning will transfer (just my opinion), now LM of its true? Yes, I would say mass exodus. But again, Just my opinion.
Mills has been around a while if he has any chance in the NFL he needs to get at it. Wandale wanted closer to home. Some of his transferring may have to do with the way he was used (abused). Manning has been a non contributor.

This will be AM's 4th year as a starter and baring injury he needs to show a lot of progress imo. If he's no better do we simply say AM regressed or is it something else in how he's coached? He should understand Frost's offense backwards and forwards, stop fumbling and throwing INT's, make better decisions and be able to accurately pass the ball DOWN field imo. If he can't perform those basic QB skills then we need to give another player a chance. If that's Smothers than so be it because the program really can't take another 3 or 4 win season without serious repercussions.

This will be AM's 4th year as a starter and baring injury he needs to show a lot of progress imo. If he's no better do we simply say AM regressed or is it something else in how he's coached? He should understand Frost's offense backwards and forwards, stop fumbling and throwing INT's, make better decisions and be able to accurately pass the ball DOWN field imo. If he can't perform those basic QB skills then we need to give another player a chance. If that's Smothers than so be it because the program really can't take another 3 or 4 win season without serious repercussions.

I think this past year, Frost showed the willingness to insert the best option QB, whether LM or AM into a game. Of course what we don't know is how much health played into those decisions.
Let the best man win.

I have had to wonder how much our qb coach has contributed to the lack of progression by AM. He is no where near the player he was a freshman.
Maybe Martinez is just banged up alot and injury prone. Wasn't it made public his sophomore season he was injuried quite alot. People like to forget that but I guess a player getting injuries is the coaches fault to some.

Last edited:

Agree. If he’s struggling, can’t afford to wait on him. He has to come out sharp and fast or next man up. Frost has to have wins, now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back