• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jeremy Pruitt out at Tennessee/Recruiting Violation investigation

2018 college football hires:
Dan Mullen, Florida
29-9

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M
26-10

Mario Cristobal, Oregon
25-10

Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee
16-19 (fired)

Scott Frost, Nebraska:
12-20

Chip Kelly, UCLA
10-21

Willie Taggart, FSU
9-12 (fired)

Kevin Sumlin, Arizona
9-20 (fired)

ESPN speculates Louisiana head coach Billy Napier may be interested in the job. He's originally from Tennessee. They've also speculated Malzahn, Liberty head coach Hugh Freeze, former Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien, WVU head coach Neil Brown, Tom Herman, Clemson OC Tony Elliott, Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell and former Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone might be interested. If Fulmer wasn't retiring I'd think Marrone might have an inside track on the job. He coached TEs and OTs at UT under Phil Fulmer in 2001. O'Brien's scheduled to replace Sark and become Alabama's OC but if UT comes calling, he might spurn Saban.

All are logical candidates except Fickell. If I were him, I wouldn't touch this job right now. He can do much better.

Freeze make sense from a coaching and location standpoint (started his coaching career at a high school in Memphis), but I'm not sure a program dealing with NCAA violations can go that route.

If I were Tennessee's AD, I would go after Malzahn. Good success at Auburn, including 3 wins vs. Saban.

Dan Mullen, Florida
29-9

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M
26-10

Mario Cristobal, Oregon
25-10

Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee
16-19 (fired)

Scott Frost, Nebraska:
12-20

Chip Kelly, UCLA
10-21

Willie Taggart, FSU
9-12 (fired)

Kevin Sumlin, Arizona
9-20 (fired)
Anyone have trends on these teams prior to these new coaches?

lol kids actually getting bags of cash....in McDonalds bags.

I gotta at least credit them with putting the cash in a bag. LSU somehow avoided probation by banning Odell Beckham Jr. from associating with the program for two years after he was caught on camera handing wads of cash to LSU players after they won the NC.

I gotta at least credit them with putting the cash in a bag. LSU somehow avoided probation by banning Odell Beckham Jr. from associating with the program for two years after he was caught on camera handing wads of cash to LSU players after they won the NC.
I’m just dumbfounded by the entire thing.

Dan Mullen, Florida
29-9

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M
26-10

Mario Cristobal, Oregon
25-10

Jeremy Pruitt, Tennessee
16-19 (fired)

Scott Frost, Nebraska:
12-20

Chip Kelly, UCLA
10-21

Willie Taggart, FSU
9-12 (fired)

Kevin Sumlin, Arizona
9-20 (fired)
I don’t even have the words.

I’m just dumbfounded by the entire thing.

Really, I'm not. The SEC is just "different." Alabama did things before Saban showed up that even an Alabama fan I used to know said should have gotten the program the death penalty. IMO, the reason the NCAA's going to hammer Tennessee probably has less to do with the cash (because it's always been rumored that top players get "taken care of" at most P5 programs in one way or another) than the fact Pruitt and his assistants lied about it.

I'm actually really impressed and pleased that Callahan/Bo/Riley were never implicated in any recruiting scandals in their quest to make Nebraska relevant again, and Frost and his assistants haven't either. I did hear/read rumors that John Blake got very close to crossing the line as an assistant, which is why he moved on.

Last edited:

ESPN speculates Louisiana head coach Billy Napier may be interested in the job. He's originally from Tennessee. They've also speculated Malzahn, Liberty head coach Hugh Freeze, former Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien, WVU head coach Neil Brown, Tom Herman, Clemson OC Tony Elliott, Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell and former Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone might be interested. If Fulmer wasn't retiring I'd think Marrone might have an inside track on the job. He coached TEs and OTs at UT under Phil Fulmer in 2001. O'Brien's scheduled to replace Sark and become Alabama's OC but if UT comes calling, he might spurn Saban.

So, Tennessee just fired a coach for rules infractions and they are considering Freeze? Just LOL. I’d go with Herman of those listed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back