• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should Scott Frost pivot his offense?

I think we need to figure out how we can be more effective in teaching/learning our offense so we can get our better athletes on the field sooner and more effectively. I don't have a huge issue with our offense style..... some calls or personale usage yes .... style not so much
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse on this one a bit but again I feel like this goes back to sloooowing down the practices. Frost has commented numerous times about how fast they move in practice and that gives enough reps for everyone. However, 100 bad reps in practice leads to bad reps in games. Slow it down...correct the issues during practice. Don't wait until film when muscle memory has already developed the wrong technique.

Any I repeat any offense can work when executed properly with the right coaches and players. I believe we have the right coaches and players. So as others have said it’s execution that’s lacking. They can fix that I believe.

Last edited:
As I mentioned just recently in another thread, the problem isn't our X's and O's, it's our execution. Don't fumble. Don't false start. Don't miss a block because you forgot your assignment. Don't snap high because you started off in a bad position over the ball when you lined up. Don't take a sack when you could throw it away. Dont throw a pick just to avoid a sack. Improve on those things, and our point production takes a huge step forward.

i think that’s exactly what Moos said a few weeks ago.

He's made some tweaks for sure. They are going to be enormous next year on offense, size wise. Think about the size of the linemen, receivers, and starting running back in last season and the one prior. We're getting a lot bigger. I think he's going to lean a lot more towards north-south running, big WR and TE targets for AM, and mix it in with some slot and Duck-R packages.

I believe we have the right coaches and players. So as others have said it’s execution that’s lacking. They can fix that I believe.

I used to think we have the right coaches. Now? Not so sure given the last 2 years. Right players? Not so sure there either. More returning production and starters than almost any offense nationally and historically bad results. I hope you are right!

And yes, Scott needs to change his offense.

I think if he had Alabama or Clemson-level talent he might win a hundred titles, but the reality is that our bench depth is not that great. We're building a system essentially from scratch.

The best analogy I can think of is that Frost's offense is like a finely-tuned Formula1 race car. And both the Big Ten - and our talent level - is more akin to an off road rally race.

His schemes would work nicely in the flawless execution of an Alabama or NFL team. But we need something much more practical and lunchpail. You can't get fancypants if you're not properly setting blocks and tackles.

Agreed, can’t go East/West in the B1G...in the Pac12 or AAC...you can

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse on this one a bit but again I feel like this goes back to sloooowing down the practices. Frost has commented numerous times about how fast they move in practice and that gives enough reps for everyone. However, 100 bad reps in practice leads to bad reps in games. Slow it down...correct the issues during practice. Don't wait until film when muscle memory has already developed the wrong technique.
I agree whole heartedly... perfect practice makes for perfect plan... you run warp speed qnd you get the mess we see every Saturday... I totally agree with you

This is it.

I agree. The greatest performing artists in the world have said that exact same thing. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.

As I mentioned just recently in another thread, the problem isn't our X's and O's, it's our execution. Don't fumble. Don't false start. Don't miss a block because you forgot your assignment. Don't snap high because you started off in a bad position over the ball when you lined up. Don't take a sack when you could throw it away. Dont throw a pick just to avoid a sack. Improve on those things, and our point production takes a huge step forward.

We need to save this post for next season. This sure feels spot on, to me.

I watched the offense staring at opportunity, open lanes, open receivers, all of it all year. There were drives that just looked so, so easy for us...and then we would step on our own feet, just like you said.

I remember some of our bad offenses and it just never even looked like we had a chance to gain yards. Not so, in this one. I think you have it summarized as well or better than any sportswriter I read all year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back