• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Markese Stepp to Huskers from USC

I’m really excited about this guy. I definitely like a bigger power back. Obviously like most of you I prefer power running and option football. So excited for a kid his size on short yardage.

Yep because your eyes are much better than the actual stop watches on the electronic timing devices he was timed on. :Rolleyes: He was electronically timed at 4.49. That is the same process the NFL uses in the combine.

Just go look at the video of him, maybe at one time he was 4.49, when he was younger and a whole lot lighter, his original recruit weight was 205, well he is 235-240 now. The video will show his speed, he wasnt leaving anyone behind, not DE or LB. Now if he were to trim back to 215-220 he can still be a hammer, but maybe just a step faster, which he needs.

Just go look at the video of him, maybe at one time he was 4.49, when he was younger and a whole lot lighter, his original recruit weight was 205, well he is 235-240 now. The video will show his speed, he wasnt leaving anyone behind, not DE or LB. Now if he were to trim back to 215-220 he can still be a hammer, but maybe just a step faster, which he needs.

Well, he is listed at either 4.42 or 4.49 on the internet, and we all know the internet is never wrong...or that these athletes never pad their stats. It doesn't matter what our eyes tell us.

Well, he is listed at either 4.42 or 4.49 on the internet, and we all know the internet is never wrong...or that these athletes never pad their stats. It doesn't matter what our eyes tell us.
Yep I pointed out in another thread that Wan’Dale was listed at 4.2 coming out of high school. As other posters pointed out he isn’t 4.2

Although if this past season is a reference, Nebraska running backs carried the ball fewer times per game than USC running backs.

USC had 26.7 rushes by RBs per game in 2020.
Nebraska had 21.0 rushes by RBs per game in 2020 -- if you count Wan'Dale as a RB. If not, 15.3 per game. Either way, significantly fewer than USC.

Maybe the Nebraska staff convinced him things would change in that regard in 2021.

Yeah, but we run the QB a lot (I assume because Frost didn't feel like he had a good enough option at RB?). USC, on the other hand, doesn't run the QB at all. All they do is pass. We have room in our offense for a great RB while USC has no desire for it, other than a few draw plays. My USC buddies and I are not happy with the current coaching staff. It's insane how sloppy and bad the Trojans are, considering the level of talent they get.

I’m really excited about this guy. I definitely like a bigger power back. Obviously like most of you I prefer power running and option football. So excited for a kid his size on short yardage.
I'm kind of over watching short yardage runs. You know, ones with poor blocking and no hole for the RB to get thru.

I'm ready for someone to break out on long yardage runs!:thumbsup:

Wandale is quik, prob 4.5 speed, but his sudden quikness improves that 4.5 quite a bit

Agree. That is the difference between him and Rondale Moore from Purdue. Robinson is quick like Moore, but Moore also has breakaway speed, which makes him much more dangerous.

I think if Rondale Moore stays healthy he could have a very good pro career. I'm not sure how Robinson will do in the pros. He might be too small and a bit too slow.

I'm kind of over watching short yardage runs. You know, ones with poor blocking and no hole for the RB to get thru.

I'm ready for someone to break out on long yardage runs!:thumbsup:

Me too. Even though I question Stepp's stated time of 4.42, (I think it is closer to 4.6) I think a big back who runs a 4.6 can help this offense. Heck, Scott Frost ran a 4.6 when he was in college and he was a pretty good runner.

I think what would help this offense even more is someone like Ameer Abdullah. Abdullah was great at finding small creases and making yards when it didn't look like there was any space to run. We need a back like that given our issues with the offensive line.

I thought transfers no longer have to sit out a year? Yet the quote below was in the Shatel OWH article I just read? So all these players moving around via the portal have to sit out a year unless they are grad students or get a waiver from the NCAA? What's the correct answer?

That could be Markese Stepp, the 6-foot, 235-pound running back who arrived this week from USC. Stepp, who is not a grad transfer, must get an NCAA waiver to be eligible. But in this year of COVID-19, it could happen.

Last edited:

I thought transfers no longer have to sit out a year? Yet the quote below was in the Shatel OWH article I just read? So all these players moving around via the portal have to sit out a year unless they are grad students or get a waiver from the NCAA? What's the correct answer?

In Covid year almost a sure thing.

Me too. Even though I question Stepp's stated time of 4.42, (I think it is closer to 4.6) I think a big back who runs a 4.6 can help this offense. Heck, Scott Frost ran a 4.6 when he was in college and he was a pretty good runner.

I think what would help this offense even more is someone like Ameer Abdullah. Abdullah was great at finding small creases and making yards when it didn't look like there was any space to run. We need a back like that given our issues with the offensive line.
My guess is that to help with his speed a bit they might have him trim 10lbs or so from that 235.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back