• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are we going to get an Accurate Passing QB from the Portal?

Maybe we can find some accurate new posters in the portal...we keep getting the same PPOnies* every year.

*Tm pending on PPOnies...I wish I could find the original ’shop, it was better...

DA41F48C-664C-4D36-A5A2-3EC8D4AF134F.jpeg

Don't believe he was ever an option for Nebraska to take. He loves playing in nice warm temps in the south and that's where he'll be playing. That of course assumes he wins the starting job which I suspect is far from given. We got AM, LM and LS and odds on favorite for starting is of course AM.
Milton was told we couldn't protect him. Will make a good GA in a couple years.

It obviously isn't about the posters here, but it's very unlikely Frost wants to find a QB in the portal. He's locked in with Martinez for his senior season as starter. There's zero doubt in my mind about that -- whether I like AM or not. And quarterbacks looking to transfer are unlikely to do so to sit on the bench.
Oh I know just gets so frustrating see the huskers lose.

It obviously isn't about the posters here, but it's very unlikely Frost wants to find a QB in the portal. He's locked in with Martinez for his senior season as starter. There's zero doubt in my mind about that -- whether I like AM or not. And quarterbacks looking to transfer are unlikely to do so to sit on the bench.

Especially those who complete better than 72% of their passes.

Only bad thing about that 72% is his throws further than 20 yards his percentage plummets.

Good point... would be interesting to know AM’s % complete of 20+ yds vs other QBs.

Just wondering too if a QB with a running threat (but little/no deep ball threat) is more of a threat to defenses than the immobile QB with deep ball accuracy (and receivers that stretch the field).

I also think that continual improvement in quality/performance of the O-Line play will be one important piece of the puzzle... to helping our QB and our offensive conundrum.

Last edited:

Here's hoping AM can start hitting longer passes, make some TD throws and stretch the field. If he's unable to do so I'm afraid the offense is not going improve enough to at least have a .500 season. He also MUST stop fumbling when running with the ball. His turnovers are absolute killers and if not able to correct those issues he shouldn't be our starting QB. 4 TD passes with 3 INT's in 7 games is simply not going to produce winning football.

Growing up I was a Washington Redskins fan and I'll always use Mark Rypien as an example of what a QB can do with a great O-Line. He was the Super Bowl MVP in 1992 and was far from the best QB in the NFL. You could probably argue he wasn't even in the top half of NFL QB's that year. So what's my point: AM is not the issue.

His ability to throw hasn't somehow disappeared. I'd venture a guess that if we all saw him simply throwing the route tree to uncovered receivers we'd be amazed.

I don't understand the desire to continually look for the next answer and knock this young man. I think if he entered the portal he'd end up with much better offers than Oregon St. or Colorado St.

Right. So had a super accurate passer and was the 6th leading rusher in the B1G and we are going to get a replacement in the portal without giving him the starting job? Just not going to happen.

We have way more issues than our QBs accuracy.
Agreed, go back and watch the Alabama QB. He's a great quarterback and I'm not comparing Martinez in any way to him, but watch the time he has to throw and watch the speed and routes run by Alabama receivers. Any quarterback is going to struggle going downfield when your receivers are not what we would call blazers, run lazy routes, and your line doesn't give him adequate time to go downfield. He certainly had more weapons in 2018 and I don't recall anyone complaining then. It's too easy to say his "blinker" (overused term) got slow, he's hurt, or he's lost it. Give him some decent weapons and protection and I think many concerns will go away. Put Mac Jones on our team and we would see bad play. Put AM on Alabama's team and he is getting compared to Jalen Hurts.

Agreed, go back and watch the Alabama QB. He's a great quarterback and I'm not comparing Martinez in any way to him, but watch the time he has to throw and watch the speed and routes run by Alabama receivers. Any quarterback is going to struggle going downfield when your receivers are not what we would call blazers, run lazy routes, and your line doesn't give him adequate time to go downfield. He certainly had more weapons in 2018 and I don't recall anyone complaining then. It's too easy to say his "blinker" (overused term) got slow, he's hurt, or he's lost it. Give him some decent weapons and protection and I think many concerns will go away. Put Mac Jones on our team and we would see bad play. Put AM on Alabama's team and he is getting compared to Jalen Hurts.
The entire reason Wan'dale wasn't as effective as he could be in 2020 is because we took zero deep shots. People spoke on here about that all through the season. We were starting Levi Falck and Kade Warner at one point.

Now, I was getting pissed when we would split Vokolek out wide and throw a jump ball to him but then guys like Manning or Betts were just sitting on the bench. You mean to tell me we can't get them to do that?

Before we start looking for "an accurate passer for 20+ yards downfield" in the portal, we better get our offense ready to use it. Remember how happy everyone was that we brought in Lubick who as a coordinator was going to have a lot more of his first reads for AMart be the TEs? Now we are mad we aren't throwing down field as much.

Just gotta win.

I dont think AM is the problem. I personally think the issue is a combination of poor play calling and terrible coaching at the WR and O line positions. Freshman AM threw several passes down field that looked good. It just doesnt make sense that 2 years ago he could do that but now he can't. If AM transferred to an elite school (osu, alabama, etc), I wouldnt be shocked to see him in heisman consideration again.

What transfer QB currently in the portal excites you? I’m never against transfers, I just think they have to make sense, and there’s nobody in the portal (currently) that just screams “can’t miss”
That's the problem. And you need someone who only has a year or two left of eligibility. Those guys are slim picking right now.

And I've been begging for some competition for AM...but it aint coming from the portal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back