• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale....

If it's about "why they can't keep players, especially WRs that they recruited" then here's your new list:

Andre Hunt - bust
Dominick Watt - never made it
Miles Jones - bust
Mike Williams - bust
Katerian LeGrone - bust
Justin McGriff - bust
Jaron Woodyard - bust
Demariyon Houston - bust
Darien Chase - bust
Wan'Dale Robinson - HIT (transferred)
Jamie Nance - bust
Alante Brown - TBD
Marcus Fleming - bust
Omar Manning - TBD
Will Nixon - TBD
Zavier Betts - TBD

You now are at one "hit" out of 16 instead of 2 out of 21. And the one kid we hit on transferred out. Us not counting Chase, Hunt, Legrone and others when this staff brought them in is just trying to manipulate numbers. Again, at some point you gotta bring in the right players and get them to stay.

This. Blows. My. Mind. In your opinion, why?

Is it recruiting failure (either talent evaluation or character evaluation)? Is it S & C failure? Is it coaching failure in developing skills or teaching the system? Is it system failure in putting guys in a position to succeed? Is it program failure where the coaches and players aren't getting along? Is it teammate failure in playing a quarterback who can't get them the ball or an offensive line that can't protect long enough for them to get the ball? All of the above?

I'm at a complete loss on this, and it seems to me like the single biggest issue with the program (horrendous special teams would be the next closest contender). Lots of the other issues would be at least mitigated if we could at least threaten other teams downfield.

Is it recruiting failure (either talent evaluation or character evaluation)? Is it S & C failure? Is it coaching failure in developing skills or teaching the system? Is it system failure in putting guys in a position to succeed? Is it program failure where the coaches and players aren't getting along? Is it teammate failure in playing a quarterback who can't get them the ball or an offensive line that can't protect long enough for them to get the ball? All of the above?

I'm at a complete loss on this, and it seems to me like the single biggest issue with the program (horrendous special teams would be the next closest contender). Lots of the other issues would be at least mitigated if we could at least threaten other teams downfield.
Great questions....I have a ton of the same ones.

Could be premature but I’m hearing rumors of McCaffrey exploring his options.
I really hope that's just talk....if they discussed moving him to receiver now that WR is gone it could make sense. If I recall correctly the McCaffery's were one of the families pushing the lawsuit to play so hopefully this is just fans overreacting....I know that would be hard to believe that Husker fans would do such things. :rolleyes:

You gotta think his stock just went way the hell up with WR leaving. That is of course if he is willing to play the slot. If QB is his "must play" then I wouldn't be surprised if he is shopping or considering it.

Nebraska was the only school that recruited/indulged McCaffrey's desire to play QB. IMO Frost has seen enough of that experiment to know it's not going to work. If McCaffrey's looking around, it's likely because Frost has been honest with him and told him he'd be better off at RB or WR. If that's the case and McCaffrey's unwilling to make the switch, I wouldn't be unhappy if he left. He's not going to play QB at a winning P5 program.

Last edited:
Nebraska was the only school that recruited/indulged McCaffrey's desire to play QB. IMO Frost has seen enough of that experiment to know it's not going to work. If McCaffrey's looking around, it's likely because Frost has been honest with him and told him he'd be better off at RB or WR. If that's the case and McCaffrey's unwilling to make the switch, I wouldn't be unhappy if he left. He's not going to play QB at a winning P5 program.
I didn’t realize that. He’s a hell of an athlete and seems to be a team guy. I’d love to see him on the field much, much more but not behind center either.

If I’m WR I’m going to Purdue. Stay in the BIG and take Rondale’s place where he can be in a better offense for him...closer to home and good education.

And that's not the case with Wan'Dale. He was getting playing time. That makes his leaving an exception and that's why it's more significant.

Not saying it's not significant, but Stepp is coming here because they aren't using him enough, I think Wandale is moving on for family reasons and I don't think he wanted to carry the ball as a primary running back. I don't like all the transfers, but unfortunately it's now a big part of college football. Right at this moment, I think you could argue that we are on the plus side, albeit slightly. We lose WD, but gain Toure' and Stepp. Although I would have loved to get Mills back, he's 24 and he needed to try to get to the NFL now. We'll see on the McCaffrey rumors.

It's a vetting problem IMO. I think they did better in this last class, but we'll see.

Let's hope you have this right. For whatever reason, I don't think LM will easily move to receiver, but we'll see. I would think with his families' connections, they are at least exploring QB at other schools. This could also be good news for Nebraska as Smothers "may be" what we're looking for? If Haarberg really pans out, I think that's our best scenario

The same frost who called Luke McCaffery "the future of the program?"

The past few days I've seen comments like "I'm not sure we will ever turn things around" then citing competition for recruits in the 500 mile radius as a reason. I call BS on this one....you have to look no further than Iowa St to see that it can be done. Ames has less to offer than Lincoln...if ISU can recruit well so can Nebraska.

Do I think its easier to turn things around at a place like Minnesota, or Iowa State or even Illinois....absolutely. Not because of recruiting or facilities but because because of expectations. The fan bases are not as passionate at those schools...unless of course they are winning. I remember going to games in the 90s in Lawrence KS and the fans saying "we're a basketball school" except a few years when they were "good" in football.

With Frost I feel like between his expectations, the school's expectations, the fan and booster expectations, that he puts too much pressure on himself, as well as the players and coaches. This leads to dumb penalties and poor play calling (getting too cute) at times.

At UCF he really had no pressure....can't do worse than 0 for the season right??? The culture also had no where to go but up at UCF...some could probably make the same argument for DONU when Scott arrived as well but I think the expectations here are leading to a fear of failure even from the coaches.

We hear from Frost all the time that "we talk about penalties and dumb mistakes all the time". As dumb as it sounds this could be part of the issue as well since the more you focus on a negative the more you make it happen...for example tell a kid "don't drop that" and see how often they drop it.

This may be the wrong thread for all of this but I've seen some of these comments in this thread so I put it here.
Perfect place to put this. I agree with you and don’t understand why people think we will suck forever. Do I believe we will be Ohio St or Alabama nope but we don’t need to be. We need to overtake the west. The west isn’t that great. Why can’t we be better than Iowa and Wisconsin?

The same frost who called Luke McCaffery "the future of the program?"

If Frost truly thinks McCaffrey's "the future of the program" at QB, he's going to get himself fired in a year or two. McCaffrey is simply not a QB at a winning P5 program. Especially not at one where the head coach needs to win in the next year or two or he's gone.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back