• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale....

The more I think about this the less impact I think this is going to have on the team in 2021. We clearly couldn't figure out how to use WR to his fullest potential so maybe this will be the catalyst for bringing in someone we can figure out how to use to their fullest potential and can help us more. It doesn't even need to be a more talented player than WR maybe just someone that AM has an easier time getting the ball to. That kid from Montana might fit the bill... maybe? Maybe we can get that RB from Buffalo. Is he spoken for yet? That way we have a playmaker at running back and receiver and not just one guy that we constantly try to get touches to but can never seem use to his fullest potential. Just some thoughts. Could be wrong and this all goes very badly.

Don't get me wrong, WR leaving is a bad look for SF and the team and he's a tremendously talented player who did a lot for us but I'm thinking this isn't the thing that makes or breaks 2021. Seems more about who else we can get in the transfer portal, figuring out QB situation, and getting reliable pass protection worked out.

Just turned 50, shingles vaccine here I come. Woot!!

C
Good idea. I got mine after my wife got shingles about a year ago and was in a LOT of pain. No pain now, but she can still feel the results of nerve damage (a slight tingly numbness.)

We clearly couldn't figure out how to use WR to his fullest potential so maybe this will be the catalyst for bringing in someone we can figure out how to use to their fullest potential and can help us more.

Or, had it figured out but couldn't get it done.

The past few days I've seen comments like "I'm not sure we will ever turn things around" then citing competition for recruits in the 500 mile radius as a reason. I call BS on this one....you have to look no further than Iowa St to see that it can be done. Ames has less to offer than Lincoln...if ISU can recruit well so can Nebraska.

Do I think its easier to turn things around at a place like Minnesota, or Iowa State or even Illinois....absolutely. Not because of recruiting or facilities but because because of expectations. The fan bases are not as passionate at those schools...unless of course they are winning. I remember going to games in the 90s in Lawrence KS and the fans saying "we're a basketball school" except a few years when they were "good" in football.

With Frost I feel like between his expectations, the school's expectations, the fan and booster expectations, that he puts too much pressure on himself, as well as the players and coaches. This leads to dumb penalties and poor play calling (getting too cute) at times.

At UCF he really had no pressure....can't do worse than 0 for the season right??? The culture also had no where to go but up at UCF...some could probably make the same argument for DONU when Scott arrived as well but I think the expectations here are leading to a fear of failure even from the coaches.

We hear from Frost all the time that "we talk about penalties and dumb mistakes all the time". As dumb as it sounds this could be part of the issue as well since the more you focus on a negative the more you make it happen...for example tell a kid "don't drop that" and see how often they drop it.

This may be the wrong thread for all of this but I've seen some of these comments in this thread so I put it here.

Ive asked myself the same question.

Are Husker expectations a help or a hindrance?

Net positive or negative?

@Bigger Ed

When I look at the “higher quality” folks that are transferring from schools like Clemson Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma etc. in almost every circumstance, they are four-star players who for whatever reason are not getting playing time. May be a prior injury, too young, never developed, etc.

They have looked at the depth chart in their school and just decided that it’s not going to happen at that school.

some may be disgruntled but that is usually not the case. They simply see this as a better move for them. In the end, it’s just business lol.

Last edited:
@Bigger Ed

When I look at the “higher quality” folks that are transferring from schools like Clemson Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma etc. in almost every circumstance, they are four-star players who for whatever reason are not getting playing time. May be a prior injury, too young, never developed, etc.

They have looked at the depth chart in their school and just decided that it’s not going to happen at that school.

some may be disgruntled but that is usually not the case. They simply see this as a better move for them. In the end, it’s just business lol.

And that's not the case with Wan'Dale. He was getting playing time. That makes his leaving an exception and that's why it's more significant.

Good idea. I got mine after my wife got shingles about a year ago and was in a LOT of pain. No pain now, but she can still feel the results of nerve damage (a slight tingly numbness.)

Glad you got it, and sorry for your wife. I remember when I was in my early teens my grandmother had it and was in a lot of pain at times. Glad there is now a vaccine.

C

In terms of expectations, Frost has it easier than any coach since Devaney. When he arrived, his task was characterized as nothing short of a total rebuild....even though we have quality facilities, the best fan support in the nation and $10 million to pay Scott and his staff.

IMO, he needs to make a bowl game next year to guarantee a year 5, and I'd wager 80% of fans hover around that expectation. That seems pretty reasonable.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back