• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trying to Understand

So you think firing ANY coach with 4 or even 5 losing seasons in a row would scare off potential coaches? I think most coaches would say they deserve to be fired if that's their record as a HC at a program like Nebraskas.
Once you get past 3, you lost me.
I get it, but think what you just made out of my words vs whats really happened so far.

If it continues,even the coaching community will of course understand. Right now, I think that juries still out, and reaching into some unknown future with defined results wasnt what I was talking about now.

Next seasons extremely important, but a winning year, say 7-6 may not change potential coaches minds, but may solidify fans minds against SF

Once you get past 3, you lost me.
I get it, but think what you just made out of my words vs whats really happened so far.

If it continues,even the coaching community will of course understand. Right now, I think that juries still out, and reaching into some unknown future with defined results wasnt what I was talking about now.

Next seasons extremely important, but a winning year, say 7-6 may not change potential coaches minds, but may solidify fans minds against SF
Some here are suggesting 5 to 7 years of staying with Frost no matter what. Are you kidding me (not you in particular) I've said 50 freaken times on here he should get next season but if we don't see a lot of improvement (like at least .500) then it's time for some change imo. Folks want to ride another year and make 5 ok but I believe AFTER 4 years of failure (assumes a losing season) it's time for change. Any coach worth his salt that has a problem our HC got fired after 4 losing seasons in a row I don't want him.

Last edited:
Some here are suggesting 5 to 7 years of staying with Frost no matter what. Are you kidding me (not you in particular) I've said 50 freaken times on here he should get next season but if we don't see a lot of improvement (like at least .500) then it's time for some change imo. Folks want to ride another year and make 5 ok but I believe AFTER 4 years of failure (assumes a losing season) it's time for change. Any coach worth his salt that has a problem our HC got fired after 4 losing seasons in a row I don't want him.

Here;s why I don't like these ultimatums based on record (and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you that NU needs to get to a bowl game next year). Records don't always tell the whole story. What if they go 7-5 but absolutely get blasted (like Bo against Wisconsin blasted) in multiple games? Is that better than 5-7 but play OU and OSU very close?

Frost and Co are slow in figuring out the Big Ten, right now he's caught between what he wants to do, and what he needs to do and he's caught in no-mans land. It seems like a continuous loop that just keeps repeating itself. When it's year 3 and you're still trying to run a wideout reverse on the 2 yard line?............ at some point the light has to come on?
Want to expand on the above. I don't think it helped when his first comment was "The Big 10 is going to have to adapt to us." Not so much the comment itself, but what he tried to do early on. If you think about it after every coaching change, the new coach has brought in a west coast style of offense based on speed or some sort of pro style system. This is not working here with the brand of football, conference, and region.

Frost at first wanted speed which resulted in yes speed, but at the expense of no size. Than you try to incorporate and stick with a horizontal get to the outside offense with these small speed guys' responsible for blocking outside linebackers and big physical corners, we all have seen how that is working out.

Look at the last couple of recruiting classes and notice the change in lineman and size of receivers and TE's. Frost is now going away from what his original intentions were and having to adapt. I feel after three years he may have figured it out.

Unfortunately, figuring it out has come at the expense of three losing seasons as well as real uncertainty going into 2021 with an extremely young offense following a QB whose only consistency is inconsistency.

Here;s why I don't like these ultimatums based on record (and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you that NU needs to get to a bowl game next year). Records don't always tell the whole story. What if they go 7-5 but absolutely get blasted (like Bo against Wisconsin blasted) in multiple games? Is that better than 5-7 but play OU and OSU very close?
Reminds me of that 7-0 MR team

Want to expand on the above. I don't think it helped when his first comment was "The Big 10 is going to have to adapt to us." Not so much the comment itself, but what he tried to do early on. If you think about it after every coaching change, the new coach has brought in a west coast style of offense based on speed or some sort of pro style system. This is not working here with the brand of football, conference, and region.

Frost at first wanted speed which resulted in yes speed, but at the expense of no size. Than you try to incorporate and stick with a horizontal get to the outside offense with these small speed guys' responsible for blocking outside linebackers and big physical corners, we all have seen how that is working out.

Look at the last couple of recruiting classes and notice the change in lineman and size of receivers and TE's. Frost is now going away from what his original intentions were and having to adapt. I feel after three years he may have figured it out.

Unfortunately, figuring it out has come at the expense of three losing seasons as well as real uncertainty going into 2021 with an extremely young offense following a QB whose only consistency is inconsistency.
Love when people give part of that quote about the Big,part of whats wrong with today.
Go find and listen to the exact quote, I think youll find it humbling

I'll save you time, go to 5:30

Last edited:

Frost and Co are slow in figuring out the Big Ten, right now he's caught between what he wants to do, and what he needs to do and he's caught in no-mans land. It seems like a continuous loop that just keeps repeating itself. When it's year 3 and you're still trying to run a wideout reverse on the 2 yard line?............ at some point the light has to come on?
1610465293361.png

There's some validity in what you're saying. Having said that I'll take that 7-5 record over close loses to the teams you mentioned but missing another bowl game and losing record. I say that because Nebraska needs some national exposure and the extended bowl practices. Also it gives the players something to look forward to doing at regular seasons end imo. I will always fall back on "Your record says what you are". Perhaps a bit harsh but the reality is people will only see that 7-5 as opposed to another losing season. As much as I grew to dislike Bo because of Bo I look rather fondly at his 9 win seasons. HCSF would be a HERO if he was winning at that pace right now.

Last edited:
Love when people give part of that quote about the Big,part of whats wrong with today.
Go find and listen to the exact quote, I think youll find it humbling

I'll save you time, go to 5:30

Did listen to it and acknowledged the word "hope." However, in the context of my post it wasn't about the actual quote, but what he is/wanting to do on the field where the results for the past three years speaks for itself and him now making changes.

Did listen to it and acknowledged the word "hope." However, in the context of my post it wasn't about the actual quote, but what he is/wanting to do on the field where the results for the past three years speaks for itself and him now making changes.
So, you stopped there?
Or did you hear about maybe making mistakes, having losses etc?

I just think things will get better, and its either up or down from here. Having hope, an not omitting it doesnt make you me or any fan right or wrong, but some find it preferable

Last edited:

Appreciate your post.He played hard for us,but he wasn’t the coach. I do wish him well,but maybe the new OC let it be known that a change was coming. I understand his wanting to showcase his talents to nfl scouts,but the team comes first.Him complaining about how he was used should have been kept in house.Not trying to bad mouth WR.Just stating my opinion.Keep the faith.GBR.

what type of change would cause him to leave? We were going to stop targeting him? Not likely? Perhaps make him out full time short yardage back?

There's some validity in what you're saying. Having said that I'll take that 7-5 record over close loses to the teams you mentioned but missing another bowl game and losing record. I say that because Nebraska needs some national exposure and the extended bowl practices. Also it gives the players something to look forward to doing at regular seasons end imo. I will always fall back on "Your record say what you are". Perhaps a bit harsh but the reality is people will only see that 7-5 as opposed to another losing season. As much as I grew to dislike Bo because of Bo I look rather fondly at his 9 win seasons. HCSF would be a HERO if he was winning at that pace right now.

Don't disagree with you at all. But (and I hope we don't have to experience this) imagine what this board will be like if OSU wins 70-10 and OU wins 63-14. 7-5 will take a back seat to those blowouts.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back