• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Should Be The Next Coach After Frost?

I always hate this question from Nebraska fans. Almost as if we are Kansas in football (which to be fair our record the last several years isn't far off). Reasons for a coach to choose Nebraska:
Top notch facilities (especially when the new facility is completed)
Top 10 college coaching compensation
Less unreasonable expectations than the big dogs (Texas, OSU, USC, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Etc).
Typically the best or one of the best schools at recruiting in our division.
Big 10 job
Considered easier division than East
Football history and prestige
Lower cost of living than many places
Rabid fan base
Yeah. Agreed. It’s silly really. The reason Nebraska struggled to hire in the past is because of who was in charge and firing pretty successful coaches. It doesn’t go unnoticed in the coaching industry.

You can win at Nebraska and any good young coach knows as much. Throw in 5-6m per, and you’ll have dudes lined up.

It's freaken laughable people ask what coach would want the Nebraska job? :Rolf: Frost is currently the 17th highest paid coach in college football and was given a 7 year 35 million dollar deal. You really think coaches making 1/3 or 1/2 of that would run away from that kind of money! :Lol: Just plain ridicilous talk the Huskers couldn't find a top notch coach on the kind of money we're paying.

I'm hoping Frost can still pump out the Titanic and get us back on course! If however he can't get it done there will not be any shortage of excellent qualified HC's to take over. The REAL trick is hiring the RIGHT coach the next time that can actually get it done.
It is laughable and I have never understood their argument. It’s like they think Nebraska is a worse place to coach than Purdue or Illinois. Don’t understand it at all.

It's freaken laughable people ask what coach would want the Nebraska job? :Rolf: Frost is currently the 17th highest paid coach in college football and was given a 7 year 35 million dollar deal. You really think coaches making 1/3 or 1/2 of that would run away from that kind of money! :Lol: Just plain ridicilous talk the Huskers couldn't find a top notch coach on the kind of money we're paying.

I'm hoping Frost can still pump out the Titanic and get us back on course! If however he can't get it done there will not be any shortage of excellent qualified HC's to take over. The REAL trick is hiring the RIGHT coach the next time that can actually get it done.
I think we’re all hoping Frost can right the ship. However, a good AD should always be prepared if a change has to be made. I’d probably say safely, 95% of us didn’t think Frost would struggle like this so it forces you to really look around. Obviously, you can’t continue this trend, so something has to give soon. One way or the other. Another losing season in 2021 could force changes.

Yeah. Agreed. It’s silly really. The reason Nebraska struggled to hire in the past is because of who was in charge and firing pretty successful coaches. It doesn’t go unnoticed in the coaching industry.

You can win at Nebraska and any good young coach knows as much. Throw in 5-6m per, and you’ll have dudes lined up.
It is laughable and I have never understood their argument. It’s like they think Nebraska is a worse place to coach than Purdue or Illinois. Don’t understand it at all.

I don't think anyone is saying nobody wants to coach at Nebraska. I think we've kind of tainted the job with how we've handled previous staffs.

What most of us are saying relates to hot up and coming or proven D1 coaches being hesitant given NU's history of running off winning coaches and not giving adequate time to do something for a new staff. That held true for Frost in 2020, but another losing season in 2021 and you'll start to hear little of that, though I suspect Frost gets his five years barring a 0-12 next year. No one in their right mind will grouse much if at all if the wheels fall off next year and we're starting over again and I don't think prospective incoming coaches will view it as 'too little time' or 'too high of expectations'.

The conversation becomes moot with another losing season.

Still waiting on @Dunk City Husker to explain why Nebraska should ever take a chance on a high school coach. Seems silly to me but maybe he has good reasons.

Honestly, I don't want to take a flyer on a HS coach.

I know we've sucked for a few years now, but Nebraska shouldn't be a guy's first college head coaching job, IMAO.

Pre Devaney? Sure. Decades of suckage.

Still waiting on @Dunk City Husker to explain why Nebraska should ever take a chance on a high school coach. Seems silly to me but maybe he has good reasons.
I suggest going after one of the current coaches that run the Elite High School programs around the US. Schools like IMG or Mater Dei where kids transfer in from other high schools to get a chance to play there. These are 4 and 5 star players and the coach would know how to coach them and how to keep them.
You could probably offer them 2-3 times their current salary and still be under 1 million a year. Offer them good sized performance bonuses if they were able to perform better than expected.
I think these coaches would have knowledge of very good assistant coaches to hire either from HS or college.

I suggest going after one of the current coaches that run the Elite High School programs around the US. Schools like IMG or Mater Dei where kids transfer in from other high schools to get a chance to play there. These are 4 and 5 star players and the coach would know how to coach them and how to keep them.
You could probably offer them 2-3 times their current salary and still be under 1 million a year. Offer them good sized performance bonuses if they were able to perform better than expected.
I think these coaches would have knowledge of very good assistant coaches to hire either from HS or college.
I completely disagree but I give you credit for sticking to what you believe.

I don't think anyone is saying nobody wants to coach at Nebraska. I think we've kind of tainted the job with how we've handled previous staffs.

What most of us are saying relates to hot up and coming or proven D1 coaches being hesitant given NU's history of running off winning coaches and not giving adequate time to do something for a new staff. That held true for Frost in 2020, but another losing season in 2021 and you'll start to hear little of that, though I suspect Frost gets his five years barring a 0-12 next year. No one in their right mind will grouse much if at all if the wheels fall off next year and we're starting over again and I don't think prospective incoming coaches will view it as 'too little time' or 'too high of expectations'.

The conversation becomes moot with another losing season.
I think, it’s widely known in the coaching circle, that if you do not win games, post 3 straight losing seasons, your job is either over, or, year 4 is it. Most places do not give you 5 years unless the trajectory is clearly upward. If Nebraska fired Frost, after 4 straight losing seasons, it would be expected I believe. Let’s hope he avoids all that and starts winning now. It’s the only way to employment in his line of work.

I always hate this question from Nebraska fans. Almost as if we are Kansas in football (which to be fair our record the last several years isn't far off). Reasons for a coach to choose Nebraska:
Top notch facilities (especially when the new facility is completed)
Top 10 college coaching compensation
Less unreasonable expectations than the big dogs (Texas, OSU, USC, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Etc).
Typically the best or one of the best schools at recruiting in our division.
Big 10 job
Considered easier division than East
Football history and prestige
Lower cost of living than many places
Rabid fan base

And NONE of those reasons would be why Lincoln Riley, Zac Taylor (demoted from the pros), Matt Campbell (has bigger fish to fry IMO) or others named by the OP would come to Lincoln. The only exception to that would be Herman who did not exactly light it up with superior talent and in a diluted B12.

Last edited:

And NONE of those reasons would be why Lincoln Riley, Zac Taylor (demoted from the pros), Matt Campbell (has bigger fish to fry IMO) or others named by the OP would come to Lincoln. The only exception to that would be Herman who did not exactly light it up with superior talent and in a diluted B12.
I’d take Herman to coach the Huskers. He’d do better in a more subdued environment than what Texas has. He’s a good coach I think. Sarkisian might not even do as well as Herman did. Might have him drinking again in no time. We’ll see.

I’d take Herman to coach the Huskers. He’d do better in a more subdued environment than what Texas has. He’s a good coach I think. Sarkisian might not even do as well as Herman did. Might have him drinking again in no time. We’ll see.

I think I would too tbh. Lance Leipold first, then Herman. And I agree Sark is not an upgrade to the Whorns. Which makes me smile.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back