• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let's Take Advantage of the Transfer Portal

Instead of moaning about all the players we are losing to the transfer portal, why don't we go out and try to get as many good players as we can from the Portal to come to NU.
Maryland got 5 star quarterback Taulia Tagovaloa. Maybe we didn't have a chance, but I hope we tried. He will now be throwing to Fleming.
We would not have had much luck with many of these players coming out of high school, but we should have a better chance in he Portal.
This also applies to Grad Transfers.
I heard Jalen Hurts was interested in NU, but was discouraged by Frost. He did OK at Oklahoma.
Joe Burrow was only at LSU 1 year, but they won the Natty. Look what happened to them this year. He is one we could have gotten out of HS or the transfer Portal, but we passed both times.
We could have gotten Milton from UCF if we really wanted him. It will be interesting to see what he does at FSU.
Whisky did OK with Russell Wilson, but we didn't hear much about him when he played before that for NC State.
NU has to realize that the culture in college FB has changed and most players are not willing to wait 2 years before they see the field. I don't think it takes years for a player to learn our "system". Play them or lose them!

Instead of moaning about all the players we are losing to the transfer portal, why don't we go out and try to get as many good players as we can from the Portal to come to NU.
Maryland got 5 star quarterback Taulia Tagovaloa. Maybe we didn't have a chance, but I hope we tried. He will now be throwing to Fleming.
We would not have had much luck with many of these players coming out of high school, but we should have a better chance in he Portal.
This also applies to Grad Transfers.
I heard Jalen Hurts was interested in NU, but was discouraged by Frost. He did OK at Oklahoma.
Joe Burrow was only at LSU 1 year, but they won the Natty. Look what happened to them this year. He is one we could have gotten out of HS or the transfer Portal, but we passed both times.
We could have gotten Milton from UCF if we really wanted him. It will be interesting to see what he does at FSU.
Whisky did OK with Russell Wilson, but we didn't hear much about him when he played before that for NC State.
NU has to realize that the culture in college FB has changed and most players are not willing to wait 2 years before they see the field. I don't think it takes years for a player to learn our "system". Play them or lose them!
I've been wishing for Scott to go get a veteran QB to create competition and depth at the position. He has been unwilling to do so. But maybe with WR's departure and the idea of moving LM outside, maybe his thought process changes now. He's literally fighting for his job at this point. Pull out all the stops.

Edit: I will say, although there are a lot of guys in the portal, not many meet what I'm looking for. A kid with 3 or 4 years of eligibility is not coming to Lincoln.

Last edited:

From what source did you hear this? I'd love to read it.

This is incorrect, Burrow was at LSU for 2 seasons

We could have gotten Milton from UCF if we really wanted him.

Curious where you saw this one too, I'd love to read it.

Frost needs to scour the portal for WR's, RB's and QB's-- Toure "might help"-- as always the proof will be on the field and we need them to be playmakers not just wide receivers that "know the plays and can block" with being able to create space and catch ball so far down the list we never know they're out there. We don't anything about Smothers yet, but does anyone think the West division winning quarterback is currently on our team now?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back