• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dedrick Mills To Announce His Plans For 2021 In The Next Week

On the other hand not sure his age would be that much of a negative factor? Why RB's only last about 5 years on average is the pounding they take not so much age imo. Yes people heal faster younger but he's only 24. Staubach didn't get to the NFL until 27 the same as Tayson Hill. They can't say Mills has been over worked in college since he only has 1912 yds total his entire college career. Hall at ISU had over 1500 yds just this season and he's only a Soph! lol I still think a good 2021 season for Mills might get him drafted which is a lot more money up front. Question remains does he want to bet on himself and will he get a lot more carries in Frost offense?
Even practice takes a toll on the body, so while it's not the same as carries in games, it's a process of wearing you down. There are always exceptions, but most running backs don't have the same burst at 30 that they did at 22.

On the other hand not sure his age would be that much of a negative factor? Why RB's only last about 5 years on average is the pounding they take not so much age imo. Yes people heal faster younger but he's only 24. Staubach didn't get to the NFL until 27 the same as Tayson Hill. They can't say Mills has been over worked in college since he only has 1912 yds total his entire college career. Hall at ISU had over 1500 yds just this season and he's only a Soph! lol I still think a good 2021 season for Mills might get him drafted which is a lot more money up front. Question remains does he want to bet on himself and will he get a lot more carries in Frost offense?
Even practice takes a toll on the body, so while it's not the same as carries in games, it's a process of wearing you down. There are always exceptions, but most running backs don't have the same burst at 30 that they did at 22.
I wonder if the changes on offense we've seen in college, and more recently in the NFL, will have an impact on the career longevity of RB's? Seems like quite a few teams are using their RB as a receiving threat more than in the past.

...yes...is that adequate compensation for the very real possibility of not knowing your own name by the time you reach 50?

They can have their $610K per year. I’ll keep my day job.

BTW...I always got confused with nephrologists... are they the ones that help make you go pee? or help keep you from having to go pee?
That’s a urologist lol

I kinda hope he just moves on. Start over with some of the other backs. He isn’t a difference maker, so may as well just move on.
In 2 seasons (18) games Mills has averaged a little of 12 carries per game. Lets contrast that to ISU's running back (Hall) this season who averaged 23 carries per game. How is Mills going to be a difference maker when that's all he touches the ball? Mills actually averaged 5 yds per carry for his entire career at Nebraska which isn't to shabby imo. The ISU RB (Hall) averaged) 5.5 yds per carry this season and led the nation in total yds gained. Perhaps Mills isn't a GREAT running back but at 5 yds per carry he should have been used a lot more. Against Rutgers he carried 25 times and gained 191 yds or 7.6 per carry. I'd say that's a game changer and it showed. Bottom line good RB's can't shine when they are only getting 12 carries a game imo.

In 2 seasons (18) games Mills has averaged a little of 12 carries per game. Lets contrast that to ISU's running back (Hall) this season who averaged 23 carries per game. How is Mills going to be a difference maker when that's all he touches the ball? Mills actually averaged 5 yds per carry for his entire career at Nebraska which isn't to shabby imo. The ISU RB (Hall) averaged) 5.5 yds per carry this season and led the nation in total yds gained. Perhaps Mills isn't a GREAT running back but at 5 yds per carry he should have been used a lot more. Against Rutgers he carried 25 times and gained 191 yds or 7.6 per carry. I'd say that's a game changer and it showed. Bottom line good RB's can't shine when they are only getting 12 carries a game imo.

A bit of a chicken and egg thing too. If the RB is running really well, they get more carries because the offense is getting more first downs and put in more running situations. If they struggle, they get fewer carries. There have been many great games in Mills career, but a few have also gone in the category of "its tough to be successful running for 2.1 yards/carry".

One thing the staff can sell to a player is "we can limit your touches and the NFL will see you have talent, but haven't been abused and feel your career may be shortened by carrying 350 times a year". Of course, some of the Wisconsin RB's have shown this may or may not be indicative of future success in the NFL.

Looking back, would, or was Ziggy a difference maker?

I think our perceptions of what they want to happen,and what were used to, and what we are seeing today with Mills are different things.
Nogame breakers from Mills, due in part to abilities and our offens,meaning, how opposing Ds played our offense.
We got Ziggy on the off tackle where he broke some huge runs, we havnt done that with Mills, again, abilities, and other defensive sets for our lack of ability to fully spread and stress those Ds.

But anyways, Ziggy only had maybe 15 carries a game, but,brought with him big play capability.

Ziggy had 155 carries in 12 games, upwards of 15 or so,since he was lightly used the first four games

Last edited:
I kinda hope he just moves on. Start over with some of the other backs. He isn’t a difference maker, so may as well just move on.

agreed. Mills was good when he was on the field, not great. But there were a number of games in his career here that he was “dinged up” and unable to play.

I kept reading about how he was going to be our “bell cow” (whatever that is), but I don’t know that that really ever happened.

If he thinks he has a shot in the NFL who am I to say he does not, but his stock isn’t going to rise with another year in Lincoln IMO.

agreed. Mills was good when he was on the field, not great. But there were a number of games in his career here that he was “dinged up” and unable to play.

I kept reading about how he was going to be our “bell cow” (whatever that is), but I don’t know that that really ever happened.

If he thinks he has a shot in the NFL who am I to say he does not, but his stock isn’t going to rise with another year in Lincoln IMO.
You don't think Mills stock would rise with a 1000 yd season in the Big 10? I believe it would make a big difference in his ability to get drafted because the BIG is such a tough defensive conference. We've seen however a lot of games where Nebraska quickly gives up on the run even in situations where running is our best option. Ziggy had his best season when he got 155 carries and performed pretty well imo. Even if Ziggy only plays another year with Jacksonville he managed to make a nice piece of change. Devine Ozigbo signed a 3 year, $1,755,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including an average annual salary of $585,000. In 2020, Ozigbo will earn a base salary of $544,706, while carrying a cap hit of $544,705.

I think Mills is being under valued by a lot of Husker fans and we'll miss him next season if he doesn't return.

You don't think Mills stock would rise with a 1000 yd season in the Big 10? I believe it would make a big difference in his ability to get drafted because the BIG is such a tough defensive conference. We've seen however a lot of games where Nebraska quickly gives up on the run even in situations where running is our best option. Ziggy had his best season when he got 155 carries and performed pretty well imo. Even if Ziggy only plays another year with Jacksonville he managed to make a nice piece of change. Devine Ozigbo signed a 3 year, $1,755,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including an average annual salary of $585,000. In 2020, Ozigbo will earn a base salary of $544,706, while carrying a cap hit of $544,705.

I think Mills is being under valued by a lot of Husker fans and we'll miss him next season if he doesn't return.

I’m probably undervaluing him. Hard to know, because we haven’t seen him a lot. He’s missed chunks of two seasons.

Hard to miss him when he didn’t play very many games this year.

We also don't give him the ball with any consistency which is on the coaches not him.

62655568.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back