• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matthew Anderson Transferring

There are a lot more kids entering college football nearly fully physically developed. But while some kids reach 6’6” 300lbs at age 16, there are still those who won’t hit that developmental spike until they are 20 or 21 years old. Patience could pay off for those kids.

Again, I’m not at all upset with this kid. We won’t necessarily miss him. I hope he finds what he’s looking for and doesn’t regret it later in his life.
But transitions leave no leaders.
Over time, I think the kids will figure this out, and will tend to relish such opportunities ,but it may take time for others to see this, and see the disadvantages of leaving a top end potential for development, training table and all.

I am surprised that this is going on for 3 pages for a player that has not played a down and is obviously underweight. Of all the players leaving I just don't see this one as a big deal, but I guess that is just me.

I am surprised that this is going on for 3 pages for a player that has not played a down and is obviously underweight. Of all the players leaving I just don't see this one as a big deal, but I guess that is just me.
He was a typical hoped hed succeed guy.
I can see why,especially since some of these thoughts are conflated upon others who dont deserve such thoughts and reactions.
But the numbers of guys leaving under the new system is alarming, and not just here.
Like the wr from okie, it happens even to the best of them and teams

Now, go back and check out our previous years under previous staffs.
Football is much more competitive today than even back then, so, not a reliable scenario at this point in time
It might not be reasonable to expect 7 or 8 games a season where you can empty the bench like in the good old days, but a few games each year is a reasonable goal.

Agreed that Riley and Callahan didn't fare much better in that regard. Bo used to give us at least a few comfortable wins every year.

Agree totally. Whether it was mutually agreed upon or the young man just decided that he wants a new opportunity elsewhere, what’s to discuss. It’s the same with recruits that went elsewhere, what is the point of opining about why he left or why he didn’t come here? Useless....... whatever ..... carry on

It’s not really about this kid. Some of the discussion here is more about the evolution of transfers in general, and the pressure that is put on some of these kids (and put on themselves) to achieve a higher level of development at such a rapid pace. This kid happens to be an example. I mean, he’s a freshman and we’ve already decided he’s too light. It just seems like we (the royal we) rush some of these kids too much, and write them off too quickly. I’m not even necessarily saying it happened here. I don’t know that to be a fact in this case. Anyway, it’s been a reasonable discussion. Nobody calling names or attacking players or coaches. I’m not sure why you or anyone would feel the need to be critical of the discussion. A little confused by that...

No matter the reason(s), this was a recruiting miss - which should be the point (we need to hit at a high level to compete with the big guns).
I wish the young man success in his next adventure.

No matter the reason(s), this was a recruiting miss - which should be the point (we need to hit at a high level to compete with the big guns).

01F00E0F-55CB-41EE-A643-AD6E9D822474.gif

It’s not really about this kid. Some of the discussion here is more about the evolution of transfers in general, and the pressure that is put on some of these kids (and put on themselves) to achieve a higher level of development at such a rapid pace. This kid happens to be an example. I mean, he’s a freshman and we’ve already decided he’s too light. It just seems like we (the royal we) rush some of these kids too much, and write them off too quickly. I’m not even necessarily saying it happened here. I don’t know that to be a fact in this case. Anyway, it’s been a reasonable discussion. Nobody calling names or attacking players or coaches. I’m not sure why you or anyone would feel the need to be critical of the discussion. A little confused by that...
Not meant to be critical, but pretty much everytime someone leaves we have the same discussion, and it usually reverts back to the 1990's and how they sat and waited their turn, and the kids of today have no patience. Same argument everytime. The thing is each kid is different and this sure as heck isn't 1994 anymore. I am not telling anybody not to have a discussion I just don't understand over 3 pages. I guess we have a lot of new guys on here so I didn't take that into consideration.

I'm not sure it's criticism so much as pointing out the realities of the current football landscape. It's fine to think about a kid being patient, working in the weightroom to become the physical player we all want, but we also need to then look at some of the other comments we've read about in describing some of our OLine challenges. The cohesiveness, the importance of knowing who is going where, which most feel is built over time, and multiple games/years of working together. When we had 3 freshmen and a soph starting the game against Rutgers, that suggested that those guys were talented enough to see the field early, AND were going to be in a position to continually improve their cohesiveness. Behind those guys are others who are young, but several with the physical size to plug in if needed. That puts a even bigger hill to climb for a kid like Anderson. We need to be a little realistic when we consider the likelihood a kid is going to supplant a physically capable player with 2 or 3 years of cohesive experience. Is it possible? Sure, but I'd agree with most that it's kind of a long shot. Maybe the kid just wants a more realistic opportunity to continue playing football. I don't fault him, or the staff for coming to that conclusion if that was the case.

Last edited:
I wish the young man success in his next adventure.
I guess we should never consider offering a player who isn't developed to the level we'd need for him to see the field immediately. Brilliant.

Jim Rose stated on KFAB this morning that he came in weighing 250 and leaves weighing 255. Seems tough to do when having access to training table, supplements and weight program.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back