• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transfer portal Speculation

I’m cracking up here with my Husker buddies thinking we’re so stocked that we don’t want one of our starting safeties back. We’ll manage if they don’t return, but we would be very fortunate if we get them both back. There’s just not enough depth there unless we hit the transfer portal.

I just don't think one of our starting safeties is all that good. The risk outweighs the reward with Williams. I do want Dismuke to come back though.

I’m cracking up here with my Husker buddies thinking we’re so stocked that we don’t want one of our starting safeties back. We’ll manage if they don’t return, but we would be very fortunate if we get them both back. There’s just not enough depth there unless we hit the transfer portal.
I think Isaac Gifford will be the starter alongside Farmer some day, we just only have 3 safeties i'm confident in next year if we only get 1 of our starters back. It's basically where we were with DE. Really confident with starting 2 but towards the end of the year it gets dicey and you get beat up. Especially with our propensity to get guys ejected.

I just don't think one of our starting safeties is all that good. The risk outweighs the reward with Williams. I do want Dismuke to come back though.
He’s not that bad. And he could be coached up to get better over the next year. We need warm bodies at safety if nothing else. If he’s not as good as the others, as you suggest then he would get beat out by better players. At least we’d have the depth in the event of injuries etc. There’s no way you let Williams go if he wants to return. And we’re not better off without him. If we lose both or either we need to hit the transfer portal or we get dangerously low in numbers at safety.

He’s not that bad. And he could be coached up to get better over the next year. We need warm bodies at safety if nothing else. If he’s not as good as the others, as you suggest then he would get beat out by better players. At least we’d have the depth in the event of injuries etc. There’s no way you let Williams go if he wants to return. And we’re not better off without him. If we lose both or either we need to hit the transfer portal or we get dangerously low in numbers at safety.

I'm not saying run him off by any means. But if Dismuke comes back, I won't be broken up if Williams leaves.

I think Isaac Gifford will be the starter alongside Farmer some day, we just only have 3 safeties i'm confident in next year if we only get 1 of our starters back. It's basically where we were with DE. Really confident with starting 2 but towards the end of the year it gets dicey and you get beat up. Especially with our propensity to get guys ejected.
And that is something that absolutely has to get fixed by the staff.

Dismuke and Farmer is all you really got except freshmen. That worries me.
Does this speak more to swinging and missing on filling the positions of need, or did we land the guys and this is a result of the mass exodus over the last 2-3 years? Probably a combo of both?

Last edited:
We see it regularly in just about every game these days. It's not a coaching issue as much as it's an NCAA issue. We aren't seeing much in the way of glaring 'spearing' hits, it's more of the ancillary helmet to helmet hits that don't have a great deal of malicious intent.
It's not the penalty part of it, but rather the poor tackling form that leads to it that I'm concerned with. We've whiffed on a lot of those shoulder blow up tackles as well. We also lose out on am opportunity to strip tackle when we do that.

It's not the penalty part of it, but rather the poor tackling form that leads to it that I'm concerned with. We've whiffed on a lot of those shoulder blow up tackles as well. We also lose out on am opportunity to strip tackle when we do that.

As much as I'd like to see that amazing form tackling we'd all envisioned for close to a decade, it seems the number of teams that really do an amazing job of teaching great form are definitely in the minority. I do think we have tackled far better this year overall.

As much as I'd like to see that amazing form tackling we'd all envisioned for close to a decade, it seems the number of teams that really do an amazing job of teaching great form are definitely in the minority. I do think we have tackled far better this year overall.
I agree with the exception of our safeties. I also think teams in this conference are very well coached for the most part and you don't see near as much of the shoddy tackling.

Does this speak more to swinging and missing on filling the positions of need, or did we land the guys and this is a result of the mass exodus over the last 2-3 years? Probably a combo of both?
I think when you lose as many people in the DB room that we have in year 1 and 2 you're going to run into this. Again, I like what they've groomed Farmer to be. Isaac Gifford is going to be more than serviceable. We just are going to have to bring some guys along quicker than the optimal timeline.

DB Houston Griffith from Notre Dame is expected to enter the transfer portal soon. At one time during his original recruitment, we were considered a serious contender. Maybe we reach out here given the need for depth in our secondary?

I agree with the exception of our safeties. I also think teams in this conference are very well coached for the most part and you don't see near as much of the shoddy tackling.
Exactly. How many times do we see our d-backs completely lower and lead with the head, many times unnecessarily, leading to blatant whiffs or ejections? This can be coached up. I get it, there is a fine line between teaching technique and wanting to unleash the beast. I was pleased with the increased physicality of the defense, I just hated how freaking dumb we could play at the same time. Stupidy + Over-aggressiveness has cost this team W's in the recent past.

Last edited:
Teach it like Lovie always has from NFL days to present. Receivers always "paid the price", especially in the middle. Remember how beat up JD was after the Illini game in 2019.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back