• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Vinyl Spinner

Hey, if you want to get rid of the vinyl, let me know. I don't have a store anymore, but I still listen to records every night. I have a circle of friends who get together once a month and listen to records together, and I'm always looking to grow my library.

Cool turntable, btw. I don't have much experience with tracking tables, and getting someone to service them is even more rare. Without doxxing, what town are you in? Or PM me. I have a guy that works on equipment. He's awesome and very reasonable.

I'll let you know. I have some unique/good stuff but it's almost all classical that I got from an estate sale. I got a few Musical Heritage Jazz albums from the 60's that are pretty nice also.

The Beogram turntables aren't super high end, but I like them. Fortunately, there's a guy at www.sound-smith.com/ who makes the replacement cartridge/stylus so there's at least an option for keeping it running, but I'll be worried if I have to get any big repairs on it.

I'm in Chicago. I have a pretty good shop that's done a couple of KEF speakers for me (refoam/capacitors/crossovers), but haven't taken a turntable to his shop yet. He's petty pricey, though, but I like the speakers and didn't want to screw around them by going cheap.

I make it back to Nebraska once or twice a year, though. Hoping to get their for Christmas and set my parents up with a simple stereo setup that would work for them.

I just replaced my cartridge/stylus on my living room spinner. My God, what a difference.

The turntable is an old SLB-2 from Technics, nothing super fancy there, and it had a non-original cart on it when I bought it. This was our player in my record store the whole time we were open, so it got some use from me.

Replaced the old with a green Audiotechnica cart/stylus last week,
AT-VM95E

Again, not super expensive, but I threw Tom Petty's Greatest Hits on there to break it in, and damn, did it sound good.

I just replaced my cartridge/stylus on my living room spinner. My God, what a difference.

The turntable is an old SLB-2 from Technics, nothing super fancy there, and it had a non-original cart on it when I bought it. This was our player in my record store the whole time we were open, so it got some use from me.

Replaced the old with a green Audiotechnica cart/stylus last week,
AT-VM95E

Again, not super expensive, but I threw Tom Petty's Greatest Hits on there to break it in, and damn, did it sound good.
Perfect cart for that table.
I just set my stepson up with a Technics SL-D2 with the same cartridge.

Perfect cart for that table.
I just set my stepson up with a Technics SL-D2 with the same cartridge.
Yeah, it sounds great. And that's the thing, if you get things that match up, even if it isn't the most expensive equipment, it can sound great.

Not that I don't appreciate expensive equipment. My Sansui amp, Kenwood turntable, which I've featured earlier in this thread, Klipsch reference series speakers, and Infinity towers sound pretty amazing. Again, not the most expensive stuff, but far from cheap, with great performance.

Yeah, it sounds great. And that's the thing, if you get things that match up, even if it isn't the most expensive equipment, it can sound great.

Not that I don't appreciate expensive equipment. My Sansui amp, Kenwood turntable, which I've featured earlier in this thread, Klipsch reference series speakers, and Infinity towers sound pretty amazing. Again, not the most expensive stuff, but far from cheap, with great performance.
Yeah, it’s all about the synergy.

Kind of a fun story from the past few weeks.

I've been building out my stereo system at home and ended up making up relatively inexpensive systems for different parts of the house. I came across an old NAD 7000 that was being sold for parts. The 7000 was part of their Monitor series back in the late 80's and combined a really nice pre-amp (including Phono for MC/MM) with a 40 Watt amp that really punches above it's weight like most of those old NAD's.

They also use a Remote. All of them are missing the remotes now, but there's a guy selling replacements for the series (they seem to work on all of the models) for about 15 bucks.

I take a look and notice that it's missing the Pre-out/Main-in jumpers in the back and take a chance that the reason they aren't getting sound is because they didn't put them in. At worst, I figure at worst, I get something I can use as a pre-amp (believe the Pre-amp in all of these receiver models is the same as the NAD 1600 that sells for quite a bit on ebay).

Sure enough, it gets here and works almost perfectly when I put in jumpers in the back. Still going to open it up and clear out any dust and deoxit/lube the controls to make sure things look good inside though. I didn't quite get it for Salvation Army costs, but not that far away and a good deal for 60 bucks for something that has a nice Phono preamp with MM/MC capabilities

nad 7000.jpg

Last edited:

I've been building out my stereo system at home and ended up making up relatively inexpensive systems for different parts of the house. I came across an old NAD 7000 that was being sold for parts. The 7000 was part of their Monitor series back in the late 80's and combined a really nice pre-amp (including Phono for MC/MM) with a 40 Watt amp that really punches above it's weight like most of those old NAD's.

They also use a Remote. All of them are missing the remotes now, but there's a guy selling replacements for the series (they seem to work on all of the models) for about 15 bucks.

I take a look and notice that it's missing the Pre-out/Main-in jumpers in the back and take a chance that the reason they aren't getting sound is because they didn't put them in. At worst, I figure at worst, I get something I can use as a pre-amp (believe the Pre-amp in all of these receiver models is the same as the NAD 1600 that sells for quite a bit on ebay).

Sure enough, it gets here and works almost perfectly when I put in jumpers in the back. Still going to open it up and clear out any dust and deoxit/lube the controls to make sure things look good inside though. I didn't quite get it for Salvation Army costs, but not that far away and a good deal for 60 bucks for something that has a nice Phono preamp with MM/MC capabilities

View attachment 57519
What city are you in? I have a guy in Omaha that is really reasonable about going through these, cleaning them and fixing them up. I recommend him to anyone in the area, if you happen to be looking for someone.

Last edited:
What city are you in? I have a guy in Omaha that is really reasonable about going through these, cleaning them and fixing them up. I recommend him to anyone in the area, if you happen to be looking for someone.

Thanks! I'll reach out next time I head back that way --I'm in Chicago, but I make it back to Nebraska pretty regularly (parents are still living on the farm). We're waiting a bit before we visit next (parents are older and worried about Covid), but I do have a few things to fix up.

I have a guy in Chicago, but he's expensive and isn't a fan of working on NAD stuff (he's more 60's/70's era, big silver items), and a lot of times it seems all those old NAD's need are new caps to make them sing again.

Planning on bring a nice gift setup for my parents next time I go - some Boston Acoustics A60 speakers and I think an NAD 7120 receiver (may give them this 7000 instead) to go with a simple audio-technica turntable and a simple streamer I got for them.

Thanks! I'll reach out next time I head back that way --I'm in Chicago, but I make it back to Nebraska pretty regularly (parents are still living on the farm). We're waiting a bit before we visit next (parents are older and worried about Covid), but I do have a few things to fix up.

I have a guy in Chicago, but he's expensive and isn't a fan of working on NAD stuff (he's more 60's/70's era, big silver items), and a lot of times it seems all those old NAD's need are new caps to make them sing again.

Planning on bring a nice gift setup for my parents next time I go - some Boston Acoustics A60 speakers and I think an NAD 7120 receiver (may give them this 7000 instead) to go with a simple audio-technica turntable and a simple streamer I got for them.
Well before you bring it with you, contact him, tell him what's going on with it, the model and everything. He'll let you know if he will look at it. I came across a post-2000 Sony ES receiver that is really nice, but the center channel is out. He doesn't work on stuff that recent, I guess.

[email protected]

His name is Gary. He's a cool guy.

View attachment 57519
Those were great little amps with nice sounding phono sections. It will drive a 4 ohm load also.

Those were great little amps with nice sounding phono sections. It will drive a 4 ohm load also.

Definitely. I ran this 7000 on a set of old KEF's that are 4 ohms last night when testing it out and it did it without a sweat.

I'm a big fan of those old NAD amps. I got a 3240 back in college that I still have (thinking of having it recapped for sentimental reasons), but I always wanted the Monitor series stuff and the nicer KEF speakers. I've managed to find a nice collection of things including the 7100 (same as 7000 but with another 20 watts), and some old KEF reference speakers (cheap, but had to refoam them). I'm married so I have to be cheap, so it's good I spent a lot less than it would have cost back then -- Ha, so my stereo rebuild seems to be collecting gear that I wanted back when I was young!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back