• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian Martinez

From where we've been, great doesn't happen in a game. Let's see how we feel a year from now. At this point, I'll take wins, ugly or beautiful, I'll be happy with either.

I agree, this team just needs to win. I think it showed after the game with how the players were acting as they left the field. This meant a lot to them. It seems like some leaders are finally starting to emerge. This win helped with that IMO.

I'll give you tempo. But as for the other stuff.......

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA
Seriously, have you watched AM on the QB draw ... he’s late, chooses the wrong hole and routinely gets tackled with limited contact. AM shies away from contact.

Also you seriously believe AM gets to the 2nd, 3rd and check down options better than LM?

Martinez played a really good game yesterday (maybe great w/o the slide on that later drive). I don't think the competition is over. Martinez is just a couple of games away from the terrible Northwestern outing. Give them both snaps during the week with the 1's, start AM for now, and keep the competition open

Was bizarre in the moment. My only thought was maybe he was trying to protect his shoulder by not falling on it
I believe he over thought it and was simply trying to keep the clock running. The 1st down would have stopped it, albeit temporarily. He just lost track of where the line to gain was.

We also have a receiving corps with next to zip yards after catch. AM’s numbers might even be inflated with catch and run talent.

Looks like maybe the benching loosened him up. Maybe something to remember going forward.
maybe the not playing ohio state and northwestern, (best 2 defenses in B1G) loosened him up. maybe getting some more warm bodies on the field that could beat me in a foot race. maybe at the O-Line doing a better job blocking loosened him up. just maybe

I agree, this team just needs to win. I think it showed after the game with how the players were acting as they left the field. This meant a lot to them. It seems like some leaders are finally starting to emerge. This win helped with that IMO.

I will buy into that if the team, after a win, plays like that next week, rather than how they played the week after their last win.

Seriously, have you watched AM on the QB draw ... he’s late, chooses the wrong hole and routinely gets tackled with limited contact. AM shies away from contact.

Also you seriously believe AM gets to the 2nd, 3rd and check down options better than LM?

Martinez's warts in the running game are far less pronounced/troublesome than McCaffrey's warts in the passing game. Luke just can't throw downfield well at all--lacks the arm strength and accuracy. He scares nobody defensively with his arm . . . but scares practically everyone rooting for the Huskers.

Martinez isn't anything to write home about on the longer throws, either, but at least he has more mustard on his throws, can be more accurate-ish, and actually can put some level of fear into the defense that they might get beat. He's not the runner he was in 2018 and still is a little slow and tentative at times. But he's picked up some nice yards with his feet here and there.

I agree that we don't need "great" at the QB position to have this offense run like it should. Great would be, um . . . great. But even a moderately mobile QB with a good, accurate arm and good throwing instincts woud make this offense look a darn sight better than a guy with lots of athletic upside who doesn't scare anyone on deep balls.

Disagree - McCaffrey is better at tempo, he may not have as strong of arm but sees the field better, he gets to the 2nd and 3rd option so much better, McCaffrey is better at the QB run game ... the only thing is McCaffrey is slightly more TO prone (which is a big thing) ... AND finally the ceiling on McCaffrey is so much higher.
If Luke can throw downfield, which he has not shown and seems fearful to do. Only played one year starting cube in High School so he's just starting.
Smothers though has some experience. Which will get there quicker....the plot thickens.
When Luke is up the defense just bum rush forward . Not good.

Martinez played a really good game yesterday (maybe great w/o the slide on that later drive). I don't think the competition is over. Martinez is just a couple of games away from the terrible Northwestern outing. Give them both snaps during the week with the 1's, start AM for now, and keep the competition open
I don't want to bag on AM, but we overswing on the good and bad so much. If we weren't bailed out by a personal foul on a severely overthrown ball to a wide open receiver, then we are punting from our own end zone up only 7 and that great performance wouldn't be so good.

Of course, we were only in that spot because of inexplicable line penalties including a holding on second and 1.

jeebus, we are “missing” ‘decent‘ or ‘average’ let alone ‘great.’

i’ll take ’competent’ as a positive step myself.
Let me put this out there.

Nebraska has 3 TD passes on the season. One was the WR screen on Saturday and the other was the Betts long TD run that was counted as a pass because it was a pitch forward.

So the only TD pass that may have been beyond the line of scrimmage the entire season was a 4 yrd pass to Falck and I don't remember it to verify because we were behind 41-17 with 2 minutes left in the game.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back