• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Player Retention

But I also think that we need to get aggressive on the transfer portal and go out and find kids That fill our holes immediately. We need to be absolute experts on the rules and set up a special section within our recruiting department whose job it is to identify and recruit kids from the transfer portal. It will be tricky and it will piss a lot of schools off so we need to do it above board and completely within the rules.

There's a team in the Big Ten that's provided a clinic on how to use the transfer portal to your advantage: Rutgers. Schiano added 10 players before this season, and most of them came from P5 programs. They got two QBs (Vederal from NU and 4-star dual threat Peyton Powell from Baylor), RB Raheem Blacksheer from Virginia Tech, TE Jovani Haskins from WVU and WR Aaron Cruickshank from Wisconsin. He did even better on defense, getting two DL from Michigan and safety Bendon White, who won the Rose Bowl MVP award last year when he played at Ohio State.

Now that he's decided to transfer from UCF, I wouldn't be surprised to see McKenzie Milton in Lincoln in January. Given the problems Nebraska has at getting consistent QB play, if Milton's not in Lincoln that's a mistake by Frost.

Last edited:
Speaking of Sarah Fuller......did you watch her actually kick?

Gosh Awful!

Maybe she’s actually good...but from what I saw it just had cheap publicity stunt written all over it.

Our kicking last year was....Gosh Awful!

and she would not have made our team last year....

You've completely ignored the fact the kick she made is exactly what her coaches asked her to do. She was *told* to make a pooch kick. It's behind a paywall, so I can't link it here but The Athletic story on her details that fact.

Edit: I found a story from The Washington Post that also mentions she was told to pooch it because it's her natural kicking style.

Last edited:

The longest made FG for Nebraska since Frost arrived? A 47 yarder by Pickering against MSU in 2018. The only other 40+ FG was a kick by Waldoch against Iowa in 2019.

Considering she's apparently making 38 yarders in practice, and can kick a soccer ball 55 yards, it's unlikely Sarah Fuller's worse than any kicker Nebraska's had under Frost.

Last edited:
I only watched clips of her kicks so yes I made a snap judgment and did not do research.

So yep....

But I also watched her in those clips and she did not look comfortable at all. And I wasn’t impressed with her athleticism. She had a real deer in the headlights stare. Perhaps it was just the immensity of what she was doing. Excusable surely the first game.

I certainly don’t wish her ill. Nor wish her to fail. I was just posting a snap judgment based on what I saw. And what little I saw from a college football perspective, out of context....was just not that good.

My bad.....

Culp seems very solid...THAT part of the kicking game seems much better this year.
Can she punt? That part needs help methinks....

What's interesting is that after Nebraska with the most there's four East Division schools. Or five schools with more than 30 transfers since 2019, Nebraska then 4 of the 7 East teams.

With exception to Nebraska, the West division does a better job of retaining players (for better or worse). I'm not sure how much of a concern this is, but our goal is to compete for the West division title. Also, much of the West is catching up with Nebraska in recruiting.

Tell you what, I can't blame a guy that just wants to play or wants to be somewhere they are happier. JD, Avery Roberts; you aren't happy here? Go, God Bless young man, live your life. Sometimes it doesn't work, but learning "the-grass-isn't-always-greener" may be one of the most valuable lessons a person can learn.

Plus, the college programs and coaches treat this game as a business - why shouldn't the players? A player has 4/5 years to build a multi-million career. The clocks ticking...

That said, its hard on the fans. But I'm ok with that - it's a guy's life, it's not really about me.

What was the Tourism slogan again... Nebraska... Honestly, it's not for everyone.

spot on :O O: ...difficult place to recruit to, even more important to win those 500 mile radius kids. :Sign2cents:

Last edited:
As we continue to build up the walk-on program, our numbers of players transferring out should increase. If we want to carry 50+ walk-ons as part of our program, there should be churn there because ideally it's a mutual arrangement where guys who clearly aren't going to pan out will transfer out to another school at a more appropriate level of competition for his abilities. We would like to see FCS and D2 schools in the region look to build relationships with us so that we can tell the kids that are willing to walk on: "We'll do all that we can to build up your body and train you, but if it doesn't work out, we want to help you find a good fit." In addition to extra bodies for scout team duties, if we can get a few guys from each class who eventually contribute at the varsity level with an occasional diamond in the rough, we're benefitting as a program. We also need to have everybody else getting as good as they can as fast as they can, and then moving on to better fits if they're not going to contribute on the field. If we have a roster with 20+ senior walkon players, either all of the scholarship guys left, or something else isn't working correctly. By somewhere around year three, both the individual player and the coaching staff should be able to see if there is a clear path forward to seeing the field, and what they could potentially look like. The walk-on numbers by year-class should resemble a pyramid with roughly 2x as many freshmen as 3rd year players, and 2x as many 3rd year players as 5th year players.

None of this is to say that we haven't had a problem with losing scholarship players, especially first-year recruits, because we have. That needs to be fixed. What I am saying is that with such a large roster, even when the scholarship transfer numbers are fixed. our numbers for players transferring out should still be about 40% greater than other B1G teams, on average, if we're carrying about 40% more guys.

Last edited:

I agree that we have to get aggressive and use it to our advantage. Part of me thinks this may bolster the big dogs in initial recruiting because a player can think, "I'll take my shot at Alabama and if it doesn't work out, I'll just transfer." Why not shoot for the stars from the get go? Acknowledging some will opt for early playing time instead.

The portal has 2 lenses- players can move on if they aren't showcasing their talent early and coaches can "run off" players they don't see panning out and can turn over that scholarship. Lots of folks talk about Saban doing that for years; now they don't have to transfer to FBS.

I saw this coming 12 years ago when I coached HS Ball.....by the time I retired...it was the “norm”

The kids could care less about a school and what it has....what they want is will I play...and play early in a system that showcases my talent. They are hugely sophisticated about recruiting....have all the information as to what teams have what holes to fill...how many others are being recruited at their position...and their Parents are even MORE sophisticated than they are. They are totally familiar with ALL the tech tools like HUDL and are savvy with social media

The old ideas about coming to your “dream school,” and loyalty to that program....it’s just not applicable anymore. And that is hard for a Midwesterner, with Midwestern values to understand.

The Transfer Portal has changed the landscape and once a no penalty clause gores into effect....the Wild West will take place. It’s totally wild now...but will get even wilder.....

And the sooner Nebraska adjusts to that and starts looking at the transfer portal as just part of the landscape .....and recruits from it as a source of INCOMING talent.....

The better off we will be.

This keeps happening because 4 and 5 star kids keep committing to the same schools when there are already 2 or 3 guys on the roster at their position that are just as good as they are. Then they get butt hurt when they don't win the starting job and transfer when they could've just went to a school that actually NEEDS them and could start day one in the first place.

If we're throwing the dream school scenario out the window and assume kids have zero loyalty to a school, then they should have common sense and stop going to schools that are just hoarding talent and go somewhere where they can play day one. They're making it harder on themselves.

This keeps happening because 4 and 5 star kids keep committing to the same schools when there are already 2 or 3 guys on the roster at their position that are just as good as they are. Then they get butt hurt when they don't win the starting job and transfer when they could've just went to a school that actually NEEDS them and could start day one in the first place.

If we're throwing the dream school scenario out the window and assume kids have zero loyalty to a school, then they should have common sense and stop going to schools that are just hoarding talent and go somewhere where they can play day one. They're making it harder on themselves.

The flip side of this... they may want to go to schools that have proven they can properly develop and utilize talent. Bama, Georgia, OSU, have shown that they can develop and utilize players at a variety of positions. Yes, the depth charts are, well, deep. But these programs have shown that they can get the best out of guys that stick it out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back