• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Just looking at the Iowa game, I was encouraged. But it's still the little things that add up that matter.

If you where the coach what would you do? You play to win, to win you play the best player at that position PERIOD.

But is that what we're doing? Or do we have a high profile local recruit that came here, has had a hard time where we put him, but we continue to play him so we don't discourage future high profile local recruits from coming here.

I'm not saying that's what's happening, but our push is for local high profile talent to stay here and play at Nebraska.

Do you honestly believe TO has a clue about today's youth. The game has passed him by and there is no shame in that as the guy hasn't coached in 23 years. We all know he has a wealth of knowledge he acquired over the years of coaching but I highly doubt it translates to today's youth.
I'm old enough to remember an endless sea of people saying similar things in the early 90s about how TO couldn't adapt to the youth and style of the day.

I'm old enough to remember an endless sea of people saying similar things in the early 90s about how TO couldn't adapt to the youth and style of the day.
Big difference between the 90's and actually WORKING AS A HEAD COACH during that period and asking your Great Grandfather to understand today's youth. Do better than that please.

But is that what we're doing? Or do we have a high profile local recruit that came here, has had a hard time where we put him, but we continue to play him so we don't discourage future high profile local recruits from coming here.

I'm not saying that's what's happening, but our push is for local high profile talent to stay here and play at Nebraska.
Well we would have to have an “inside man” with inside info to be able to know that for sure. I totally get what your saying but no matter where these players are from (local or out of state) competition is the key ingredient here. The players must know and have confidence in the fact that if they are the best at their position they will start. I too wonder if they are doing that. Hoping they are

Big difference between the 90's and actually WORKING AS A HEAD COACH during that period and asking your Great Grandfather to understand today's youth. Do better than that please.
Human nature & therefore basic psychology never changes - only the details of its application. You might even notice I said in my post that you quoted that I wasn't referring to the items related to the changing cultural stuff of the day.

Human nature & therefore basic psychology never changes - only the details of its application. You might even notice I said in my post that you quoted that I wasn't referring to the items related to the changing cultural stuff of the day.
Seems odd considering your screen name. And yes I know he was not coaching in the 2010's. I'm just curious as to why you would think a guy old enough to be the Great Grandfather to these kids has anything relevant to offer this team from a psychological aspect? He was a great coach who's was an icon in his day but that was 23 years ago. Clinging to our hero's from our past in my opinion has been some of the downfall by our current staff. I'm not sure the "that's how we did it in the 90's" message is working with this current team and I would argue that psychologically it is having a reverse affect.

Last edited:
Seems odd considering your screen name. And yes I know he was not coaching in the 2010's. I'm just curious as to why you would think a guy old enough to be the Great Grandfather to these kids has anything relevant to offer this team from a psychological aspect? He was a great coach who's was an icon in his day but that was 23 years ago. Clinging to our hero's from our past in my opinion has been some of the downfall by our current staff. I'm not sure the "that's how we did it in the 90's" message is working with this current team and I would argue that psychologically it is having a reverse affect.
Not sure you're getting the point of either my screen name or my post.

Put it this way, there's a reason millions of people (including most of the very successful ones) still study Plato, Sun Tzu, etc.

That's the $5 million question.

2007 Scoring Offense (Callahan's last year): 33.4 PPG, 28th
2009 Scoring Offense: (Operation Bo Shutdown) 25.1 PPG, 75th
2017 Scoring Offense (Riley's last year): 26.5 PPG, 79th
2020 Scoring Offense: 21 PPG, 105th

I never thought I'd see an offense as unproductive as 2009. The 2007 and 2017 teams had basically quit down the stretch.

And here we are in 2020 with the most inept Nebraska offense in modern history, and I keep reading about youth, baby steps and how we simply need to "button things up."

Getting ready to do a post on this, I really don't get it at all.

I think to accurately compare the different seasons, you have to use only the conference games in 2007, 2009, and 2017. I'm not saying this year's offense is better (it's probably still worse statistically), but I think it's an important distinction. This year's team didn't get to play Nevada, Ball State, Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, etc. to pad the numbers.

Last edited:

I can't name a sure-fire offensive draftee at the moment. The question is whether this is principally an issue with recruiting or development. Since we out-recruit the rest of the west division on paper, it would seem to be the latter.

I'd make a modest wager with anyone that Gebbia plays on Sundays, but I'm sure he's no better than what we got.
Well, it is early.
The 2018 class was a burn, everybody else is either true or rs frosh.
So far, none have proven to be exceptional, like the kid from iowa, but he's even older than half our guys.

I think to accurately compare the different seasons, you have to use only the conference games in 2007, 2009, and 2017. I'm not saying this year's offense is better (it's probably still worse statistically), but I think it's an important distinction. This year's team didn't get to play Nevada, Ball State, Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette, etc. to pad the numbers.
And get better doing so along the way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back