• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Just looking at the Iowa game, I was encouraged. But it's still the little things that add up that matter.

For example, what's wrong with our offense? Does Wandale Robinson even have a touchdown this year? Why is it stastically worse than the 2009 Bo offense that he basically shut down? Is it Lubick and if so, do you do ANOTHER change? Is it the QB and if so, why is that happening year 3?

That's the $5 million question.

2007 Scoring Offense (Callahan's last year): 33.4 PPG, 28th
2009 Scoring Offense: (Operation Bo Shutdown) 25.1 PPG, 75th
2017 Scoring Offense (Riley's last year): 26.5 PPG, 79th
2020 Scoring Offense: 21 PPG, 105th

I never thought I'd see an offense as unproductive as 2009. The 2007 and 2017 teams had basically quit down the stretch.

And here we are in 2020 with the most inept Nebraska offense in modern history, and I keep reading about youth, baby steps and how we simply need to "button things up."

I never thought I'd see an offense as unproductive as 2009. The 2007 and 2017 teams had basically quit down the stretch.

And here we are in 2020 with the most inept Nebraska offense in modern history, and I keep reading about youth, baby steps and how we simply need to "button things up."
Those previous years, you can name or find two or more rbs, two or more wrs on each of those teams that made, or at least could sniff an nfl roster.
Now, who we got?
Too early to tell?
Likely

Those previous years, you can name or find two or more rbs, two or more wrs on each of those teams that made, or at least could sniff an nfl roster.
Now, who we got?
Too early to tell?
Likely

I can't name a sure-fire offensive draftee at the moment. The question is whether this is principally an issue with recruiting or development. Since we out-recruit the rest of the west division on paper, it would seem to be the latter.

I'd make a modest wager with anyone that Gebbia plays on Sundays, but I'm sure he's no better than what we got.

To your first question, I guess i'll just ask you that if you were doing everything right and practiced all spring and summer, were with the 1s for the first couple weeks of fall, then when the converted TE got healthy he started in front of you a couple weeks before your first game having zero experience playing the game and snaps were everywhere causing QB issues among other things... would you feel good about working that hard again or with the decision the coaches made?

Agree that when Frost is having to keep players accountable or create the "juice" for them, we are in trouble. The issue is, I think there's many that due to the decisions this staff had made (not just Jurgens) just have never fully bought in. Couple that with how the staff came in, and you get a recipe for disaster if you don't have some success. And it's some of our best guys. Heck, you're seeing it with guys they brought in from the 2020 class thinking they got a raw deal or things aren't being handled correctly.

I always go back to, if Riley culture was so bad, how come we were able to get guys like Ozigbo, Foster, Morgan, Farmer, Gifford, Stoltenberg to circle the wagons because what was happening wasn't acceptable in 2018 and then go 4-2 your last 6 games? How come we weren't able to continue to breed that type of leadership under this staff? Because 2019 and 2020 we are saying leadership is a problem within the team, but Frost inherited some really good ones. Why is there no one stepping up or believing?

If he's not panning out where you thought, and he's going to be behind someone at another spot, are you sticking with him, in part, because he's a good local guy you got to stay home, and you're thinking what it may look like to future good local players if they see him sat down.

Are we playing the best player at the position, or are we thinking about how it will look to future local recruits. And are we splitting the team if it appears the local guy gets the top spot even if he isn't the best player for the position.

Getting ready to do a post on this, I really don't get it at all.

If he's not panning out where you thought, and he's going to be behind someone at another spot, are you sticking with him, in part, because he's a good local guy you got to stay home, and you're thinking what it may look like to future good local players if they see him sat down.

Are we playing the best player at the position, or are we thinking about how it will look to future local recruits. And are we splitting the team if it appears the local guy gets the top spot even if he isn't the best player for the position.
Lots of questions. I guess i'll again go back to the fact he looks really good at times, I see why they made the move. But as i've also said before, if he can't snap the ball what are we even talking about?

Lots of questions. I guess i'll again go back to the fact he looks really good at times, I see why they made the move. But as i've also said before, if he can't snap the ball what are we even talking about?

I can see why they put him where they did, I thought it was a good idea. I just wonder with so many problems with snaps, problems that don't seem to get any better, and someone on the bench that could do as good if not better, why continue.

Unless we're just down to Frost is stubborn and won't give up on his decision even when it looks like it might not work out.

If you where the coach what would you do? You play to win, to win you play the best player at that position PERIOD.

Shoot man one day a week, have him just do snaps under pressure, the whole freggin practice. Kill two birds with one stone. Giving his backup time with the first team, and him doing snap after snap after snap for an hour. Put him in all kinds of pressure; reach block, pull, combo block, pass block. They have enough walkon linemen and defensive linemen to make that work. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I can see why they put him where they did, I thought it was a good idea. I just wonder with so many problems with snaps, problems that don't seem to get any better, and someone on the bench that could do as good if not better, why continue.

Unless we're just down to Frost is stubborn and won't give up on his decision even when it looks like it might not work out.
Scott has married himself to players to his detriment. You NEVER hitch your wagons to a players if he is not performing. Yet, Scott has continuously doubled down on his decisions (think AM and Cam, and more recently LM). I'm not sure if that is based out of stubbornness and/or loyalty to those kids (which on the surface is admirable), but he is the CEO of this team. If you are not winning, you won't be coaching for too much longer. Tough decision have to be made for the betterment of your team. Sometimes hurting those you love.

p.s. I agree with you why Jurgens was moved and he has shown flashes demonstrating his athletic abilities.

Last edited:
Shoot man one day a week, have him just do snaps under pressure, the whole freggin practice. Kill two birds with one stone. Giving his backup time with the first team, and him doing snap after snap after snap for an hour. Put him in all kinds of pressure; reach block, pull, combo block, pass block. They have enough walkon linemen and defensive linemen to make that work. Just a thought.
Punish the team each time a bad snap happens in practice. That was good motivation for us in high school practices. One screws up we all screw up.

I have no idea what happens during practice but MAYBE he does great in practice but chokes during games. So he starts him cause he practices well but then .... well we see what we see.

Punting team was definitely the exception in my mind. Felt like Przystup was a stopgap, so I gave the personnel aspect more weight there than the coaching. The coverage teams have looked better just by my eye-test, fair enough if the stats don't back it up.

How dare you make me feel so old! :Mad:

But yeah, I know TO doesn't impose unless asked, so it'd be incumbent on Scott to actively request guidance. I'm not so much meaning in the day to day application of things - which like you said changes with time - as the underlying human psychology, which is pretty constant. Just seems like there are basic trust/relational issues that a lot of this keeps coming back to.
Do you honestly believe TO has a clue about today's youth. The game has passed him by and there is no shame in that as the guy hasn't coached in 23 years. We all know he has a wealth of knowledge he acquired over the years of coaching but I highly doubt it translates to today's youth.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back