• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sick of losing, but...

Yeah, I said in the game thread that they need to pull Jurgens for the rest of the year and teach him to play guard. What's frustrating is that it's mental rather than physical for him. I'm not sure how to fix it at this point.

I have to wonder what they did at halftime. Jurgens was much better in the 2nd half. Actually better after the couple of series off.

I think people forget sometimes the kid is in his SECOND year playing the position. He's not a career offensive lineman who's struggled with snap issues all through high school.

Agree that there are many positives to recognize in the last loss.

There are indeed statistics that are encouraging... signs of hope... in the last loss.

And then there’s the reality that many of the reoccurring problems (spanning seasons) are present in the last loss.

I also HATE enduring Husker losses. And I also HATE feeling like the team lacks discipline and focus to “button things up” when you have a golden opportunity to earn such a much needed win.

We’re told that we’re so close to turning the corner. Evidently we’re still far from being able to turn the steering wheel.

Last edited:
We’ve been dealing with bad snaps for two years. I’ve never seen that at the college level, any division. Its absurd.

Agreed. It’s the most frustrating thing I have ever seen at Nebraska. It’s the most basic thing, I just don’t understand it. He’s got to be the only football coach in the country who would repeatedly get burned by the same damn thing over and over again. Scott must think we are good enough to overcome an unreliable snap.

I'm sick of losing football games. Maybe it gets easier for some fans, but I hate it every time. And I mean HATE it.

Overall, the Huskers played well today. There were some mistakes, but for the most part we did most things reasonably well against a ranked opponent.

Iowa had averaged 33 ppg this season, but managed just 26 against the Huskers.

The Hawkeyes had given up just 16 ppg this season, good for 9th in the country. We scored 20.

Our defense gave up just 322 yards, including just 129 yards rushing.

Martinez completed 18 of 20 passes... 90%!!!

But there were bad things, too. Snaps really need to get fixed. Despite limiting Iowa's rushing yards, we allow runners to drag our defenders after contact, and we still need to wrap up better... especially some guys in the secondary.

We still haven't figured out much of a rushing game on offense. I have to think that Mills' absence is a part of that, but we're doing some ugly things along the line. At times it looks like laziness... feet aren't moving well, and guys are lunging. We don't pressure QBs enough, which might be ok if we weren't playing so loose on the back end.

Anyway, I think it's ok to recognize both the good and the bad. And to maybe not continuously call for firings.

OL let us down and realistically cost us the game. Nobody could convince me otherwise.

I have to wonder what they did at halftime. Jurgens was much better in the 2nd half. Actually better after the couple of series off.

I think people forget sometimes the kid is in his SECOND year playing the position. He's not a career offensive lineman who's struggled with snap issues all through high school.
It makes me wonder if he should be there on a D1 football team. While he's got some eligibility left I think maybe SF might want to consider moving him to another position. I just think its going to keep surfacing. Its cost the Huskers some offensive productivity and possibly a few games.

We’re told that we’re so close to turning the corner. Evidently we’re still far from being able to turn the steering wheel.

Yesterday was another waiting to turn the corner. We all saw the good stuff and waited for the bad stuff. I felt sick when Adrian walked out for the last drive, waiting for the BIG OOF. It's what we've learned and it was delivered. The final oof to deny us a win.

I think it was @bilsker who said that the off season could be ugly. Will be telling to see how much talent we lose and what kind of talent we can gain.

Maybe it would settle us if Frost just said this is gonna take 2 more years...hehe. I WANT him to succeed. In the meantime we just hang onto that 'steering wheel' with him and hope this painstaking veer is worth it.

Images

We finally get a stop against Iowa inside their twenty and I'm convinced we march down and score. That muff just felt like the snap shot of Husker football for the last 10 years. Don't know what the answer is but I think the team is closer than many on this board believe.
Closer to what? Competing with Illinois Purdue Maryland? Certainly not Wisconsin or Ohio State. We are what our record says we are. Until we recruit and develop better we will be the KU of the Big Ten. No one fears us - and they shouldn’t.

Closer to what? Competing with Illinois Purdue Maryland? Certainly not Wisconsin or Ohio State. We are what our record says we are. Until we recruit and develop better we will be the KU of the Big Ten. No one fears us - and they shouldn’t.
We know how you feel. Unfortunately your emotions are not allowing you to see anything positive about yesterday. A six point loss to a ranked team on the road. Certainly sounds like a good rationale to burn it down right?

We made enough plays to win but not enough to overcome our mistakes. They play a clean game and they win by 2 TD's. It showed me that we have enough talent to compete. With a RB and a WR and another quality O-lineman we are a different team. It is what it is now.

The constant hysterics on the board bring nothing. I'd rather look on the bright side and root for my team, even if I have choice words at times for both the staff and the players.

The snap should be second nature by this time.

I've seen highschool kids with fewer bad snaps over the course of a season. This kid was a high 4* recruit ( wasn't he knocking on a possible 5th star?) with a huge athletic upside. It's just not working at centre.

Is he big enough to play guard? Can he add that much weight? Is it too late to try him somewhere else? Maybe DE?

Austin and Verduzco need to go. With QB's we've seen regression due to over analyzing, with lineman we've seen no improvement and dumb decisions on who's in the game. On top of Chinander hitting the bricks, I've seen regression in our DB play. Is it scheme or the position coach? Also, why do we need three linebacker coaches and still have questionable play since that's supposed to be Chinander's expertise?

Austin and Verduzco need to go. With QB's we've seen regression due to over analyzing, with lineman we've seen no improvement and dumb decisions on who's in the game. On top of Chinander hitting the bricks, I've seen regression in our DB play. Is it scheme or the position coach? Also, why do we need three linebacker coaches and still have questionable play since that's supposed to be Chinander's expertise?
Fire them all, and open up the checkbook for the best coaches money can buy! It doesn't matter if they have chemistry with the other coaches, or if they have a similar philosophy, etc. Coaches are just plug and play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back