• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We’re close...

FullbackSympathy

Recruit
2 Year Member
I’m not sure what everyone was expecting this season from a W/L standpoint.

We’ve lost most of the games we were supposed to lose—3 of the losses were to ranked opponents. 2 of those games came down to the final possession, including one on the road to what will likely be a Top 10 team by next week. Illinois was trash, and we were favored big, but we were also picked to lose to Penn State and won that one.

What I saw today is more of what I saw in every game outside of Illinois—stronger line play and young talent. Martinez played well today. We had a couple of goofball plays, but we lost to a good team, on the road, on the last possession.

The main difference I see is that our talent matches Northwestern and Iowa up front. We aren’t better yet, but we match up. I felt like our past two Iowa battles were WAY flukier than this one. We should’ve been blown out in both. This was different. We’re just about as good as Iowa and NW. We played NW a lot tougher than Wiscy did.

Frost is definitely not a polished product as a head coach, but he’s showing me he can recruit, and that’s really really important. It takes time (5 years to fill it out across a program) to get a pipeline going up front in a conference this big and physical. Just ask Indiana.

Under Allen:

5-7
5-7
8-5 (if we win out this season—and I think we will—our record might’ve been quite similar to this with a full season)
4-1 and top 15.

I’m not a Frost apologist, but I saw a pretty well coached team today with a lot of guys stepping up to make plays. Martinez was pretty darned good against a top 10 defense, and our defense was tough.

When you lose games you’re not supposed to lose, the pitchforks should come out, but when you’re in year 2.5 of a dumpster fire reclamation project, it’s pretty hard for me to be upset about taking two ranked opponents, on the road, down to the last possession.

Finally, the system Frost is attempting to run on offense is ballsy for the B1G. I’m sure we could ho hum our way to Iowa status running power and chewing clock and be decent a lot quicker, but there’s most definitely a ceiling to that system. Frost’s system is a gamble because it requires elite talent. But if he gets it here—if he continues to win recruiting battles, a whole lot of people are going to be eating crow. Two freshmen and a sophomore on the Oline and a fairly dominant freshman on the DLine is giving me enough patience to enjoy some of what I’m watching.

I still think Frost gets it done here.

I’m not sure what everyone was expecting this season from a W/L standpoint.

We’ve lost most of the games we were supposed to lose—3 of the losses were to ranked opponents. 2 of those games came down to the final possession, including one on the road to what will likely be a Top 10 team by next week. Illinois was trash, and we were favored big, but we were also picked to lose to Penn State and won that one.

What I saw today is more of what I saw in every game outside of Illinois—stronger line play and young talent. Martinez played well today. We had a couple of goofball plays, but we lost to a good team, on the road, on the last possession.

The main difference I see is that our talent matches Northwestern and Iowa up front. We aren’t better yet, but we match up. I felt like our past two Iowa battles were WAY flukier than this one. We should’ve been blown out in both. This was different. We’re just about as good as Iowa and NW. We played NW a lot tougher than Wiscy did.

Frost is definitely not a polished product as a head coach, but he’s showing me he can recruit, and that’s really really important. It takes time (5 years to fill it out across a program) to get a pipeline going up front in a conference this big and physical. Just ask Indiana.

Under Allen:

5-7
5-7
8-5 (if we win out this season—and I think we will—our record might’ve been quite similar to this with a full season)
4-1 and top 15.

I’m not a Frost apologist, but I saw a pretty well coached team today with a lot of guys stepping up to make plays. Martinez was pretty darned good against a top 10 defense, and our defense was tough.

When you lose games you’re not supposed to lose, the pitchforks should come out, but when you’re in year 2.5 of a dumpster fire reclamation project, it’s pretty hard for me to be upset about taking two ranked opponents, on the road, down to the last possession.

Finally, the system Frost is attempting to run on offense is ballsy for the B1G. I’m sure we could ho hum our way to Iowa status running power and chewing clock and be decent a lot quicker, but there’s most definitely a ceiling to that system. Frost’s system is a gamble because it requires elite talent. But if he gets it here—if he continues to win recruiting battles, a whole lot of people are going to be eating crow. Two freshmen and a sophomore on the Oline and a fairly dominant freshman on the DLine is giving me enough patience to enjoy some of what I’m watching.

I still think Frost gets it done here.
Please pass me some of the koolaid you are drinking :Biggrin:

He’s 10-19 as HC of Nebraska. Record speaks for itself as of right now. I understand wanting to be positive and hope for the better, but he has shown nothing in 3 years to make us think this thing is getting turned around. I really hope he can, but don’t think he will.

He’s 10-19 as HC of Nebraska. Record speaks for itself as of right now. I understand wanting to be positive and hope for the better, but he has shown nothing in 3 years to make us think this thing is getting turned around. I really hope he can, but don’t think he will.

That’s part of the point though. Allen was 10-15 under about the same tenure. It takes time when you aren’t coaching up top 5 recruiting classes like Pelini was.

I think next year is the quiz. I think year 5 is the final. We’ll see how it shakes out.

If Frost was showing the same path of improvement as Indiana at this point (from even an eye test perspective) . . . it would be pretty clear and I'd be pretty happy.

It's not and neither am I. Next year is huge for Frost. If the team doesn't look demonstrably better on offense, it's probably all over.

Last edited:
And the glasses you are wearing.

Did we play better this week than last...yes I actually made to the middle of the fourth quarter before I saw the outcome ( and some work needing to get done).

BUT I still saw the issues plaguing the team that we have seen for years. We have seen this type of game each year (glimmers of hope) only to see the same bad football again and again.

I am still praying Frost is the answer and he can get a product on the field each week that shows consistent improvement not these wild swings each week.

If Frost was showing the same path of improvement as Indiana at this point (from even an eye test perspective) . . . it would be pretty clear and I'd be pretty happy.

It's not and neither am I. Next year is huge for Frost. If the team doesn't look demonstrably better on offense, it's probably all over.
Indiana’s wins last year:

Ball State
Eastern Illinois
UCONN
Rutgers
Maryland
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue

Think this year’s team would lose to any of those teams? I certainly don’t. We have the hardest schedule in the country. It’s extremely difficult to gauge improvement, but I see it up front without question.

Indiana’s wins last year:

Ball State
Eastern Illinois
UCONN
Rutgers
Maryland
Nebraska
Northwestern
Purdue

Think this year’s team would lose to any of those teams? I certainly don’t. We have the hardest schedule in the country. It’s extremely difficult to gauge improvement, but I see it up front without question.
Well we have already lost to Northwestern and Purdue is next so time will tell

Well we have already lost to Northwestern and Purdue is next so time will tell

I’m referring to the same teams IU played in Allen’s third year. I think this year’s team would have a similar record as IU last season. Nebraska was arguably their biggest win.

What did I expect?

Improvement.

Yet we are still a dumpster fire.

Illinois was a massive, inexcusable dumpster fire. Not sure I feel the same about any of our other losses. There were frustrations and missed opportunities, but we didn’t get our asses kicked by NW or Iowa. We were even and put ourselves in position to win both. That should mean something as to an improvement over getting destroyed by ranked, power running teams teams under Riley.

Illinois was a massive, inexcusable dumpster fire. Not sure I feel the same about any of our other losses. There were frustrations and missed opportunities, but we didn’t get our asses kicked by NW or Iowa. We were even and put ourselves in position to win both. That should mean something as to an improvement over getting destroyed by ranked, power running teams teams under Riley.
I look at the win/loss column to determine improvement. Someone posted earlier that we have the fifth worst record in the country since 2017. If that isn't a dumpster fire, then I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you.

I don't do moral victories.

Last edited:

I look at the win/loss column to determine improvement. Someone posted earlier that we have the fifth worst record in the country since 2017. If that isn't a dumpster fire, then I'll respectfully agree to disagree with you.

I don't do moral victories.

Fair enough. Respectfully disagreeing: I don’t think it’s nearly that simple.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back