• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska @ Iowa Game Thread (11/27/20)

Can you explain to me how a player muffing a punt is on the coaches. Really kid prob lights out at practice and does just fine makes a mistake and it's on the coaches come on. Team had 4 penalties which is prob about average for all of football. So in your opinion when are the players to be held accountable for their mistakes and it not fall on the coaches.
Simple: it's happened like this for 3 years in a row, the same mistakes. We're ALWAYS our own worst enemy. The coaches either can't see or can't fix the problem. Vast majority of teams do not make the # of mistakes that we make.

Wrong, if it was a blind side hit he's off the hook , it was a face side hit and all good QB's see that rusher coming in, especially at that point in the game.
double wrong, the effing guard, the effing guard whiffed, there isn't enough time, well, maybe if you think he will whiff, to adjust and move on. this isn't a tackle and you get a second or two but a guard. he got juked on a pass play that all he had to do was take a step back and engage, he lunged and was beat like a red headed step child and it cost us the chance. to come back. our offensive line is was is holding us back. that and well, I hate to beat a horse we have no control over the big 10.

I don't even know what to say.

It wasn't a miserable game to watch -- so that's a start. It was interesting until the end. And that's very much thanks to our defense. But between our horrible O-line and our ungodly knack for critical errors, it will never be enough to put a winning team on the field.

I was pleased with our effort and intensity today. I was concerned prior to the game, but they played inspired football. I understand that's not much of a consolation.

Ultimately, if we can't find a consistent running game from true running backs, the Big Ten will continue to eat us alive. But again, so much hinges on the offensive line -- and it's just not there.

Anyhow, I'm numb to this. If I have any emotion at all, it's that I'm upset seeing a defense do all it should have to do yet again this season, and the rest of team fails.

Last edited:
Hate to say, in part because I don’t think much of Kirk Ferentz, but if we switched coaching staffs, we win this game every single time. Our offensive scheme, player usage, play calls and poor discipline are completely abysmal. We are out coached week after week.

Today, I thought the coaches except Austin were better, but I agree with you

At least he pulled Jurgens, so it's a small step. I think he hesitates, because Farniok is a captain

If he were to full Farniok (I know, it's a remote possibility), who would be up next in his spot? Not providing depths charts this year, makes things difficult for fans to make the decisions - just kidding :)

Think after this I hope Moos is on the phone with some donors asking to come up with 30 million and give Frost a nice Christmas gift to go back to a conference where he is suited....after 3 years of this and week in and week out it is the same garbage

add $30 million to get “the new guys” on board. 100% ain’t happening.

Can you explain to me how a player muffing a punt is on the coaches. Really kid prob lights out at practice and does just fine makes a mistake and it's on the coaches come on. Team had 4 penalties which is prob about average for all of football. So in your opinion when are the players to be held accountable for their mistakes and it not fall on the coaches.
players who fail to perform over and over and over and over who are allowed to play are not to blame for sucking. They suck.

You have a game breaker in Betts...he hardly plays in favor of d2 players like Warner and the kid from s. dak.

You have a guy like flemming who caught 6 balls against northwestern and hasn't been seen since..

You have guys like dismuke who refuses to tackle with any fundamentals and misses tackles regularly who never sees the bench.

And on and on.

I don't even know what to say.

It wasn't a miserable game to watch -- so that's a start. It was interesting until the end. And that's very much thanks to our defense. But between our horrible O-line and our ungodly knack for critical errors, it will never be enough to put a winning team on the field.

I was pleased with our effort and intensity today. I was concerned prior to the game, but they played inspired football. I understand that's not much of a consolation.

Ultimately, if we can't find a consistent running game from true running backs, the Big Ten will continue to eat us alive.

Anyhow, I'm numb to this. If I have any emotion at all, it's that I'm upset seeing a defense do all it should have to do yet again this season, and the rest of team fails.

we had a couple of those in game 1, never to be seen again.

I actually think this is the best game they coached all year. My biggest complaint was not pulling Jurgens earlier (I don't remember a bad snap in the 2nd half) and we have to try something different than Farniok as he is really slow and has poor balance giving up that last sack was not his only bad play. How about Cochran? I would think Verduzco and Austin should be on the chopping block unless things improve greatly. Just pull the guy when he is having a bad game. We've done that with QB, why not other positions.

Thought the same thing with Cochran! Will be hard bc he's a captain but that last block & pretty much all game when he was at guard was NOT good.

Post-Game Notes, Nov. 27, 2020—Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, Iowa

• The six-point loss marked the sixth straight win for Iowa in the series. Nebraska now leads the all-time series 29-19-3, including a 10-9 edge in Iowa City. The last three Husker losses in the series have been decided by a total of 12 points.
  • Quarterback Adrian Martinez completed 18-of-20 passes for 174 yards, pushing his career passing total to 5,020 yards. He is the sixth Husker player to pass for 5,000 yards in a career and is one of three Nebraska players with 5,000 career passing yards and 1,000 career rushing yards.
  • Martinez’s 90.0 percent completion rate broke his own single-game completion percentage record, for games with a minimum of 20 attempts. Martinez completed 25-of-29 passes (86.2 percent) against Minnesota in 2018.
  • Sophomore receiver/running back Wan’Dale Robinson accounted for 117 yards from scrimmage including 42 rushing yards on six carries, and nine receptions for 75 yards. It marked the second straight game Robinson has totaled more than 100 yards, with 120 last week against Illinois.
  • Robinson’s nine receptions were a career-high, surpassing his eight catches at Illinois last season.
  • Redshirt freshman running back Rahmir Johnson had a 12-yard touchdown in the third quarter for his first rushing touchdown of the season and the second of his career. Johnson had five carries for 23 yards in the game.
  • Tight end Austin Allen had two receptions for 28 yards. It marked his fifth straight game with at least 25 receiving yards. He is the first tight end to have five straight games with 25 or more receiving yards since Kyler Reed had six straight games with 25 yards or more in 2010.
  • The Nebraska defense limited Iowa to 129 rushing yards on 45 carries, an average of 2.9 yards per attempt. Iowa rushed for just 35 yards on 17 carries in the first half. Iowa had averaged 244.2 yards rushing in the past five games against Nebraska, including 6.2 yards per carry.
  • Senior cornerback Dicaprio Bootle had a second-quarter interception, marking his first career interception.
  • Redshirt freshman linebacker Luke Reimer finished with a career-high 12 tackles, including 11 solo stops. That surpassed his previous career high of 10 tackles at Northwestern on Nov. 7.
  • Sophomore defensive lineman Casey Rogers recorded his first career sack on a nine-yard sack to end the first half. Rogers tied his career high with five tackles.
  • Place-kicker Connor Culp made field goals of 31 and 39 yards in the second quarter. It improved Culp to 9-of-10 on the season including six consecutive field goals made.
  • Players making their first Nebraska starts in today’s game included receivers Zavier Betts and Oliver Martin and tight end Travis Vokolek.

players who fail to perform over and over and over and over who are allowed to play are not to blame for sucking. They suck.

You have a game breaker in Betts...he hardly plays in favor of d2 players like Warner and the kid from s. dak.

You have a guy like flemming who caught 6 balls against northwestern and hasn't been seen since..

You have guys like dismuke who refuses to tackle with any fundamentals and misses tackles regularly who never sees the bench.

And on and on.

I agree with most of your post, but thought Dismuke played well today

Always starts at the top of the pyramid.

If the goal is to complain generally because of unhappiness with results, your response is effective. If one is actually trying to fix the problem, you have to identify the specific issues. just saying the coaches suck isn’t that helpful.

To note, Iowa only ran for 2.9 YPC today. Our defense did a solid job containing the Iowa run game. Unfortunately, they were able to run a lot, as they were generally in control of the game (behind on the scoreboard for a bit over 6 minutes).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back