• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What is the fascination with QBs who can't throw?

Since we're no longer a run based offense what are we doing with QB's that can't hit the broad side of barn? We attempt to once again slam a square peg in the round hole as we futilely attempt to turn not so good passing QB's into Russel Wilson. I watched more video of Milton and he was a PIN POINT passer and deadly accurate at 20 to 30 yds. We had a kid last week that had a hard time even throwing the ball 40 yds let alone hit any receiver in stride?

Until either the offense is changed (not happening) or we get a accurate down field passer we're going to struggle big time. We have almost ZERO ability to stretch the field and stress DB's.Teams dare us to pass while stacking the box to stop our anemic running attack. How they heck is that combo going to be scoring 35 to 40 points a game? Simply answer is it's not going happen and we will continue to lose to almost anyone we play.

Ramsker is right, there were guys running WIDE open all day, LM just tucked it and ran or dumped it off underneath. We HAVE to have a QB who can stretch the field and make teams pay with his legs. LM is a stud and an athlete, but he is a novice at best when passing the ball. Smothers? AM second chance? Masker? .....................
How about Noah Vedral? oh wait......

Ramsker is right, there were guys running WIDE open all day, LM just tucked it and ran or dumped it off underneath. We HAVE to have a QB who can stretch the field and make teams pay with his legs. LM is a stud and an athlete, but he is a novice at best when passing the ball. Smothers? AM second chance? Masker? .....................
When a QB has little to no confidence in his passing ability you're going to exactly what LM was doing last week. Granted would be nice if he could get more then a couple seconds to find receivers but many times he had really made his mind up to run. Interceptions and turnovers start piling up and BINGO his confidence level went to almost zero. So his answer as an inexperienced QB was to simply play it safe, pull it down and run. Our opponents aren't stupid and their DC's saw the samething we saw with LM. There's lots of good athletes on the field but the QB position is rather unique imo. Either you have someone that can really play all aspects needed to run your offense or you don't? Right now I hate to say AM comes closer to filling that need then LM imo.

Last edited:

I have seen this often since last Saturday's game. Since there was only family in attendance, what is the basis for those saying the WRs were running open all day? I watched the TV broadcast and you just can't tell who is open downfield on very many plays. So, is someone seeing a film somewhere that i haven't? I'd love to see it for myself.

Smothers? Yes, because the guy who hasn't played is always better...just like the majority said it had to be LM. Masker? Please......

I don't know about all day long, but there were several key plays where it was true. I can think of at least three times where at least one receiver is wide open and either scores or take it a really long way if LM only sees them or gets the fairly-easy-throw-for-most-D1-QBs there.

On this play, LM rolls out to the right and has lots of space and time . . . just doesn't see Betts all alone. On the same play, I think he also has another WR beating his man by a good distance to the right side.

Then Luke had a pick right near the end of the 1st half where he had a receiver well behind 2 guys up the right side and it's either a TD or right down near the goal if he just throws the ball either upfield or outside just a shade where his receiver is running. But he hangs it up incredibly short and well to the inside and the safety runs over and snags it.

There's another play that I'd have to find where Luke has Robinson beat his man and he's headed up the sideline but Luke just air mails it out of bounds.

I don't know about all day long, but there were several key plays where it was true. I can think of at least three times where at least one receiver is wide open and either scores or take it a really long way if LM only sees them or gets the fairly-easy-throw-for-most-D1-QBs there.

On this play, LM rolls out to the right and has lots of space and time . . . just doesn't see Betts all alone. On the same play, I think he also has another WR beating his man by a good distance to the right side.

Then Luke had a pick right near the end of the 1st half where he had a receiver well behind 2 guys up the right side and it's either a TD or right down near the goal if he just throws the ball either upfield or outside just a shade where his receiver is running. But he hangs it up incredibly short and well to the inside and the safety runs over and snags it.

There's another play that I'd have to find where Luke has Robinson beat his man and he's headed up the sideline but Luke just air mails it out of bounds.

In principle I agree with what you're saying about WRs being open on those two plays, but in practice both times it would have been incredibly difficult to complete either of those two specific passes because he was under heavy pressure, and the footwork needed to make the throws would have invited hard hits just as he was delivering. When a QB is scrambling, in order to complete a pass beyond 10 yards with some zip on it, he needs to either slow up to replant his feet, or he needs to stutterstep (when running towards his dominant arm) or dramatically overstep with his non-dominant (when rolling out away from his dominant side). Luke could have gotten more zip on his 4th down INT when he was running for his life to his left, but he would have been crushed if he did the proper footwork in the passes where he was rolling to his right.

If anybody doesn't grasp what I'm saying, grab a football, go in your backyard and try it for yourself. If you're right-handed and running hard to your left, long-jump off your left foot while running and starting to pass, and you should be able to throw with some accuracy and power. Try the same thing in the other direction, and you're going to need to swing your hips while running, which requires you to be able to slow down slightly. If you can't swing your hips, your pass will either have no zip nor accuracy. If Luke slowed down on either of those two plays, he gets hit as he throws. That's why he threw short instead of going to Betts.

Last edited:
In principle I agree with what you're saying about WRs being open on those two plays, but in practice both times it would have been incredibly difficult to complete either of those two specific passes because he was under heavy pressure, and the footwork needed to make the throws would have invited hard hits just as he was delivering. When a QB is scrambling, in order to complete a pass beyond 10 yards with some zip on it, he needs to either slow up to replant his feet, or he needs to stutterstep (when running towards his dominant arm) or dramatically overstep with his non-dominant (when rolling out away from his dominant side). Luke could have gotten more zip on his 4th down INT when he was running for his life to his left, but he would have been crushed if he did the proper footwork in the passes where he was rolling to his right.

If anybody doesn't grasp what I'm saying, grab a football, go in your backyard and try it for yourself. If you're right-handed and running hard to your left, long-jump off your left foot while running and starting to pass, and you should be able to throw with some accuracy and power. Try the same thing in the other direction, and you're going to need to swing your hips while running, which requires you to be able to slow down slightly. If you can't swing your hips, your pass will either have no zip nor accuracy. If Luke slowed down on either of those two plays, he gets hit as he throws. That's why he threw short instead of going to Betts.

The 3 plays I'm talking about were Luke rolling to his right. I'll have to look back at the plays but I don't think there was a ton of pressure in them (but I'll stand corrected if that's not the case).

I agree totally with the 4th down int. Luke was in no-man's land for an inexperienced, right-handed QB. That play wasn't good from the jump and got worse as it went on.

EDIT: Will look for the others, but here's the pick near the end of the 1st half. Not rolling out, but he's in the pocket and he's setting his feet . . . he just seems to not step into it enough and wounded-duck's it short and inside. Ball is already coming out and the defender is still a few steps away. For a decent thrower, I don't think that's a tough play.

kirj9RN.jpg

Last edited:

Spoken with truth rather than blind freakin emotion. Thank you for showing some of these people in a cool calm analytical way. This is a quarterback, a redshirt freshman, starting his second Freakin college game in his life in a throw away season with a large number of “other issues” that have been documented by many on here. Does he need to improve? THAT IS A BIG H*LL YES. Give the boy a freakin break. Thank you sir for your reason and analytical prowess

Last edited:
Spoken with truth rather than blind freakin emotion. Thank you for showing some of these people in a cool calm analytical way. This is a quarterback, a redshirt freshman, starting his second Freakin college game in his life in a throw away season with a large number of “other issues” that have been documented by many on here. Does he need to improve? THAT IS A BIG H*LL YES. Give the boy a freakin break. Thank you sir for your reason and analytical prowess

I'm not trying to bag on the kid. Luke's a CO boy and I frankly love him and think he's a tremendouns athlete . . . and he can have a great career at NU. His arm is just a lot worse than I thought. He's had some fairly vanilla throws for a run-of-the-mill D1 starter that have just been terribly missed. NU can't get very far til they have a QB who can at least give the receiver a chance on those. You just can't miss that badly that many times.

I'm not trying to bag on the kid. Luke's a CO boy and I frankly love him and think he's a tremendouns athlete . . . and he can have a great career at NU. His arm is just a lot worse than I thought. He's had some fairly vanilla throws for a run-of-the-mill D1 starter that have just been terribly missed. NU can't get very far til they have a QB who can at least give the receiver a chance on those. You just can't miss that badly that many times.
Agreed. But if you go back and look at AM in the first two games He’s worse than Luke. I have no idea what’s going on with AM but he is a shadow of his freshman year. He had zip, accuracy and he ran instinctively. Now he floats his passes inaccurately and runs very cautious. Of course that’s very easy for this arm chair fan to say; I haven’t been hit by these big strong defensive players which could crush every bone in my body on one hit.

Agreed. But if you go back and look at AM in the first two games He’s worse than Luke. I have no idea what’s going on with AM but he is a shadow of his freshman year. He had zip, accuracy and he ran instinctively. Now he floats his passes inaccurately and runs very cautious. Of course that’s very easy for this arm chair fan to say; I haven’t been hit by these big strong defensive players which could crush every bone in my body on one hit.
in 2018 adrian had stanley morgan, jd speilman, devine ozigbo and some maurice washington....

@Middle-aged_Ball_Coach and @ramsker, see the post below. I agree and disagree with both of you. :)

Because of how far McCaffrey rolled to his right, there was no way he was going to be able to get the ball to Betts. However, he did have plenty of time and missed seeing an open Robinson. He waited too long for any of it to work, though.

And the other pass that he missed Robinson on earlier? That was as bad as a Mickey Joseph throw.

So it's unlikely that 7 had a shot at getting the ball to 15 on the play. This was a designed rollout, and 7 probably rolled too far. He was already throwing back across his body to 83.

83 looked open for a moment, but the safety for Illinois (#6) watched 7's eyes the whole way. I don't think 7 ever saw him. The easier throw was to 1.
View attachment 55638

With how far 7 rolled out (and with good protection!), he pretty much cut off 2/3 of the field. If the ball was out of his hand right now, maybe he can complete the pass to 83, but he waited too long and kept drifting even further right while staring down the receiver.

Better QB play on this play would have resulted in big yards. We had 3 receivers (1, 15, and 83) open at different times, and we missed on all of it.

Edit to add the video:

How is it NU fans and coaches fall deeply for the QB who has a hard time hitting any target beyond 15 yards consistently?

I remember going to the spring game to see Taylor Martinez play qb for the first time in a Husker uniform. I heard all the rave and hype about his speed and athleticism during his red shirt year as Cody Green tried to solidify himself as the "future" of the program as a true freshman behind Zac Lee. TM quickly showcased the speed that we heard about so much, but I wanted to see if he can distribute the ball to the guys recruited to catch the ball while running routes.. All the snaps he got that day he never attempted to toss the ball further than 5 or 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Biggest play was a slant route I believe to Brandon Kinnie who drug defenders about 10 or 15 yards into the endzone.

I commented in depth about it and it was met with rebuttal after rebuttal. No problem.... But to me his limitations were obvious regardless of the athleticism. We hitched our wagon to that man for the next 3 seasons that had us ending without a single post season win in 5 attempts.

Fast forward to today....Luke I'm sure is a great kid. Excellent athlete...... But the priority of his position, he obviously doesn't show much comfort in doing. Throwing the ball.... Given we don't have a true down field threat and the WR position is working through some rough patches.....but his throws even to wide open targets rarely look sharp. Too low, too high....slightly behind. He literally never looks comfortable unless he running the football up the field... I believe it was said that he had the most carries this weekend which is crazy to me because #1 is in the backfield with him. I really don't know what's going on in practice and I can see that A.Martinez is having is own struggles on Saturday so I'm not going to question the coaching staff in making a decision of who to play.

But the quote that keeps being thrown out is "we are going to play the one who gives us the best chance to win"......... If a man that uncomfortable of performing his primary duties is the guy that gives you the best chance to win......Your team is going to struggle accomplishing much on the field.

How is it that Nebraska keeps falling for these QBs who can't deliver the ball? We aren't running the option like they did in the 80s and 90s. Play action still exist but QBs in Lincoln are dropping back or taking the shotgun snap these days. I'm going to cheer whoever is standing on our sideline, but why is we can't look at our recruits and see a great QB who is also an athlete, rather than finding a great athlete promising him an opportunity to play QB?

Go back 30 years. How many passing QB’s have we had as a starting QB? Very few.

Frost offense is various gimmicks, motion, timing, trips, and the QB running the ball 20 times a game.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back