• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost needs to take a step back

He has to get rid of most of his staff.Three years in,and we look as bad or worse than when he got here. We look absolutely lost.Embarrassing and frustrating.Trying to keep the faith.GBR.
I agree that the staff as a whole is weak. But the problem is that Frost should have cleaned house during his first couple of years here. Now that the program has gone into the tank, it is going to be difficult to attract quality coaches to Nebraska because they may see it as a sinking ship and find better opportunities elsewhere.

And really evaluate what he is doing. So far, what he is doing is looking very bad for him. Time to swallow some pride, examine, and make any necessary changes. Right now, the Huskers are a joke and he’s in charge. After all his talk, bashing of former coaches, players, he looks rather silly, and I’d think when he looks in the mirror, he sees it. He isn’t any better than Riley was, and that right there, speaks volumes.

We all want him to succeed. I certainly do. NU has to start seeing some upward movement and it’s just not happening. Why? Scott needs to figure that out. Right now, all that’s happening is he is getting very rich. The buddy system is not flying well. He definitely needs some better asst coaches for sure. He can’t keep going like he is, nor can the U, it’s just not working. Firing him now isn’t the answer. It’s invested in this now. Nebraska looks terrible, I’m totally baffled.

I assumed that's what he's been doing every year, especially this past off-season. Without spring practices and on the road recruiting, seemed like a perfect opportunity to "evaluate everything."

Somebody's post reminded me that we used to compare notes with FSU in the offseason back in the day. Do coaches even do that anymore? Heck, get Chip to come into town during a Spring weekend for a whiteboard strategy session. But a little too late for this year to do that now.

There's no evidence in the first two years of this program that would lead anyone to believe that "status quo" would/should be considered acceptable.

I agree that the staff as a whole is weak. But the problem is that Frost should have cleaned house during his first couple of years here. Now that the program has gone into the tank, it is going to be difficult to attract quality coaches to Nebraska because they may see it as a sinking ship and find better opportunities elsewhere.
That’s a good point. Might be hard indeed getting coaches. Scott seems well liked mostly, so I’m sure he does have some connections.

trHGiki.png

To me, this is now the time for Frost to make major changes. Hopefully he sees this as the line in the sand. He'll get another year or two regardless, but this is the time to start making changes if he's going to turn this around. And by changes, I'm not even necessarily saying coaching staff changes, although some of that may be needed. He's the head dude, he needs to figure that out and make whatever calls are necessary.
When it comes to players, he has to stop recruiting run only quarterbacks. Can no longer have running backs and wide receivers playing quarterback. Unless you're in an option offense, the main duty of a QB is to read progressions and throw the ball well. He has to stop playing a center who does not snap the ball well and stop making excuses for that player. Do we think the team doesn't see stuff like that and respond accordingly, whether it be with their consistent play or otherwise? You can get the young center ready for the future through practice while playing someone else who does a better consistent job. When you have lack of receiver depth, you can keep your best receiver at receiver instead of playing him at RB in the Big Ten. You can play him occasionally at RB to get him a few more touches, but you need to pretty much keep him at receiver. And you can run a jet sweep with him, too. It's ok.
Frost needs to recognize that building momentum is important, even if it's in small increments. He keeps talking about this thing turning big when it does turn. I can see that mentality, but it can lead to big backslides like we see and that's bad for recruiting, bad for player buy in, and bad for fans. It's just bad for the program.
So, change some things and get to work. Let's go.

I hope people don't actually think it's as easy as firing coaches and hiring new ones. Assembling a "dream team" of assistants could actually be a nightmare. The staff needs to understand football and how to teach it, but they also need to be in sync with each other. One or two guys that are wanting to do their own thing could be an epic disaster... even worse than what we've seen so far.

If Frost decides to fire anyone, he's almost certainly going to hire a replacement that he knows very well... another "buddy" hire. And I'm ok with that.

We are talking a 10-18 program it has never turned any corner. I am still waiting for a sign this team is able to compete for any level of the championship. Otherwise, what was HCSF brought in to make the program look better? The brand has been tainted many people find it tough to watch anymore. The hometown experiment did not work. HCSF was a one year wonder at CF. There is not the start of success. I have not seen a chess player or a strong leader. I am seeing a coach meltdown because he and staff do not understand the B1G and they are outcoached week after week.

To me, this is now the time for Frost to make major changes. Hopefully he sees this as the line in the sand. He'll get another year or two regardless, but this is the time to start making changes if he's going to turn this around. And by changes, I'm not even necessarily saying coaching staff changes, although some of that may be needed. He's the head dude, he needs to figure that out and make whatever calls are necessary.
When it comes to players, he has to stop recruiting run only quarterbacks. Can no longer have running backs and wide receivers playing quarterback. Unless you're in an option offense, the main duty of a QB is to read progressions and throw the ball well. He has to stop playing a center who does not snap the ball well and stop making excuses for that player. Do we think the team doesn't see stuff like that and respond accordingly, whether it be with their consistent play or otherwise? You can get the young center ready for the future through practice while playing someone else who does a better consistent job. When you have lack of receiver depth, you can keep your best receiver at receiver instead of playing him at RB in the Big Ten. You can play him occasionally at RB to get him a few more touches, but you need to pretty much keep him at receiver. And you can run a jet sweep with him, too. It's ok.
Frost needs to recognize that building momentum is important, even if it's in small increments. He keeps talking about this thing turning big when it does turn. I can see that mentality, but it can lead to big backslides like we see and that's bad for recruiting, bad for player buy in, and bad for fans. It's just bad for the program.
So, change some things and get to work. Let's go.
I hope people don't actually think it's as easy as firing coaches and hiring new ones. Assembling a "dream team" of assistants could actually be a nightmare. The staff needs to understand football and how to teach it, but they also need to be in sync with each other. One or two guys that are wanting to do their own thing could be an epic disaster... even worse than what we've seen so far.

If Frost decides to fire anyone, he's almost certainly going to hire a replacement that he knows very well... another "buddy" hire. And I'm ok with that.
Two things that are very obvious.
1. Offensive line doesn’t know how to pass protect.
2. Defense is read and react. The Blackshirts of the past we’re an attacking defense. Every play the opponent ran was a chance for the defense to get a tackle behind the line or get a turnover. Very passive these days.

Who would be the interim coach at any position/spot? I keep forgetting we're in the twilight of the season.
Me, let it run its course, find some positives, hopefully. I think this hurts more because it is Frost.

Yes changes need to be made, but we've all seen wholesale changes disrupt the whole team an kill any progress that has been made. Start with changes in the defense, Defense Wins Games, they can't score the don't win. Our secondary is poor at best, how can you guard a man by standing of 5 to 10 yards off him? Our Secondary makes most QB's look like they play in the NFL. How can you NOT teach players to LOOK for the ball? This new tactic may increase interceptions and less interference calls A kick in the butt for ALL the other coaches, our lines offense an defense look terrible, QB's look confused and totally out of their depth(thought we had a coach for them). Todays Football is a business, Loyalty is great IF your people produce.....ours aren't. Time to trim the fat, give some people a choice, do your job or your gone......just my opinion

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back