• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Progress from the Offensive Line?

eyesonNU

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
I was blasted during the first game for hastily posting that I didn't think the offensive line had improved this year. I retracted that in a later post.
I am now wondering if the line has really improved all that much. Yesterday I saw whiffs, poor snaps, holds, and failure to maintain blocks. Is the line play holding us back, or is it just part of the overall collapse of this offense? Are they overwhelmed by numbers as the box is getting packed? I know there are good analysts on this board so I look forward to their comments.

I was blasted during the first game for hastily posting that I didn't think the offensive line had improved this year. I retracted that in a later post.
I am now wondering if the line has really improved all that much. Yesterday I saw whiffs, poor snaps, holds, and failure to maintain blocks. Is the line play holding us back, or is it just part of the overall collapse of this offense? Are they overwhelmed by numbers as the box is getting packed? I know there are good analysts on this board so I look forward to their comments.
I think they are very young. The lines aren’t the place we want freshman and sophomores starting. I still believe our Quarterback is the number one thing holding us back.

I agree the offensive line play hasn't been great. Perhaps a little better than last year, but not by much. I thought our QB had more time to throw the ball yesterday than in previous games, but he still couldn't hit his receivers on any deep throws. I think that is the result of LM's weak arm and not because of failures on the offensive line. We didn't run the ball well, but part of that is because on first downs the Illinois safeties were often 8-9 yards off the line of scrimmage. They were just daring us to throw deep and we couldn't do it.

Our OL is very young? Didn’t we return the most experience in the conference with 100 starts coming back or something like that?
I know you’re in a bad mood and I get it. Starting two redshirt freshmen and a converted tight end. Yes they are young. Our two seniors suck and have for a long time. All our returning experience is bad. The defensive backfield that everyone touted is weak as hell.

Problem for me is that I think our OL was better in the second half of last year than it is right now. I get that the youngsters have the most upside, but this is 3 years in a row when we've had relatively poor OL Play to start the season,

We have 3 seniors who have started for 2-3 and 4 years now youth is not an excuse
Didn’t we start a Redshirt sophomore at center who was a tight end? Aren’t we starting two redshirt freshmen in Piper and Berdhart? I don’t care about experience when that experience isn’t good!

I know you’re in a bad mood and I get it. Starting two redshirt freshmen and a converted tight end. Yes they are young. Our two seniors suck and have for a long time. All our returning experience is bad. The defensive backfield that everyone touted is weak as hell.
Quit starting them then! Did our staff just roll with people they thought couldn’t get it done the first 3 years? That can’t be accurate.

The youth excuse year 3 is first of all not even close to factual since Wilson, Farniok, Jaimes, and Jurgens played the majority of the snaps yesterday. Secondly you can’t have that be the reason you are yet to have a winning season year 3.

Last edited:
Quit starting them then! The youth excuse year 3 is first of all not even close to factual since Wilson, Farniok, Jaimes, and Jurgens player the majority of the snaps yesterday. Secondly you can’t have that be the reason you are yet to have a winning season year 3.
I don’t disagree with you on that. There are a ton of players I would bench. There are a few coaches I would let go. I see a poorly coached team that is about the same as Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, and teams of that caliber. Nebraska can’t compete with the big boys! I think some of it is coaching and some players. We’ve sucked for 20 years. We haven’t had one Quarterback in 20 years who could actually throw.

Didn’t we start a Redshirt sophomore at center who was a tight end? Aren’t we starting two redshirt freshmen in Piper and Berdhart? I don’t care about experience when that experience isn’t good!
Boe Wilson has started and played as many snaps as piper this year

The excuses I hear are unbelievable. They are completely made up at this point. Are we young or have our guys that have started for 3 years under this staff (over 50% of our starters) not gotten better?
I was just giving my opinion on one facet of the game. The post was about offensive line. I think youth plays into it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back