• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where to start

We're still a young team which may explain some of our issues in consistency but the lackluster effort was more disappointing to me. It's OK for the fan base to buy into the 15 point spread crap, but when the players starts believing it we're in trouble. Did the 91 plays on defense last week take the snap out of their legs? If so, the short turnaround this week doesn't bode well for our defense. I said we weren't good enough to bring our B game and expect to beat anyone in the B1G. Well, that also goes for our C, D & F games. Perhaps Iowa will be looking passed us this Friday, but I doubt it.

I didn't see lackluster effort, especially on defense. They were hitting hard. They just were so often in the wrong place or in the wrong coverage. To me that is a coaching issue, not one of lack of effort. Also, Peters is a good QB. People forget Illinois beat a very good Wisconsin team last year primarily behind the arm of that guy. One of the main reasons Illinois has struggled this year is because Peters was out with COVID for three weeks. With Peters in there the Illinois offense looked completely different than it has these last three weeks.

I am not so surprised our defense struggled. I am more surprised our offense struggled against one of the statistically worst defenses in the B1G coming into this week. Our main problem on offense is that our QBs can't hit the broad side of a barn with any consistency. That is death for this offense. I hope Smothers turns out to be something otherwise we are in for more mediocrity and losing seasons in the coming years.

I think you have to start at Head Coach Scott Frost.
As the “CEO” of this team, HCSF sets the vision (i.e. clearly defining what success looks like) the strategy (i.e. clearly defining how the team will go about getting there), and the culture (i.e. instilling effort, discipline, accountability, etc.).
I have no idea what goes on at practice and/or behind closed doors, but the results on the field seem to reflect - at the very least - weaknesses in strategy and culture.
Sometimes leaders are more comfortable being “friends” when they really need to be carrying out the difficult/crucial parts of leading.
I think HCSF will need to look in the mirror and decide if he wants to (and is capable of) getting out of his comfort zone for the betterment of the team.
This will likely require hurting some feelings and/or making some difficult changes (including in himself). It’s concerning that many of the problems that are within the team’s control (unforced errors, poor decisions, etc.), are continuing in year three.
I’m hoping that HCSF can start to address the issues of discipline, decisions and accountability in the near term. And this includes him reflecting on his own opportunities to improve in these areas.
I think that other more complex issues (i.e. serious evaluation of staff) will need to be addressed after this crazy season.
Here’s to seeing improvement next Friday.
GBR!

Last edited:
I just don’t understand how we can have 3 4* QB’s on the roster.....that our coaches recruited to play QB, and they aren’t “passing QB’s”.

Either what you say is true and our coaches can’t evaluate talent, and should be held accountable. Or they can’t develop, and they should be held accountable.

There’s no excuse for our poor play that doesn’t point at the coaches. That’s what you’re paid millions of dollars to do.
Totally agree! I'm tired of hearing all the BS excuses season after season. It's always we need to FIX IT. Well gosh no kidding but what the hell specifically is being done to fix it? I observe the same crap 90% of the time from this team. One step forward and three back which is more than old now. Most say we can't fire Frost because we can't change coaches again and don't want to pony up the buyout.

Moos needs to step in now and STRONGLY recommend some staff changes imo. Let Frost blame Moos if wants a scape goat and then make some much needed assisstant coach changes. Looking at other programs with 3rd year coaches MANY have been making great improvements. We on the other hand look just as inept if not more so then Frosts first season. Obviously something needs to change other than saying we didn't have any juice and we need to fix it? Paying anyone 5 million a year for what we're seeing is totally ridicilous. We probably won't win another game this season which is beyond terrible imo. We are the Kansas of the BIG now and frankly we're lucky there aren't fans in the stand this season because it would have gotten ugly.

Let me make this crystal clear I'm not saying we FIRE HCSF at this point in time. I am saying the only person that can force changes is his boss Mr Moos. Let Frost pick the OC and DC he wants to bring in subject to approval of Moos. If he refuses to make constructive changes then let the chips fall where they will. The clown show that's going on right now it's completely and totally unacceptable imo. Nebraska pays top dollar for what we've been seeing? If that's acceptable to the AD then he also needs to go. When is SOMEONE going to be held accountable for this 3rd year debacle?

LM vs. AM - both can run, neither can throw, but one is bad and one is awful. I guess you go back to bad. At least he has experience on his side. Decision making isn't good with either. Tough place to be.

Totally agree! I'm tired of hearing all the BS excuses season after season. It's always we need to FIX IT. Well gosh no kidding but what the hell specifically is being done to fix it? I observe the same crap 90% of the time from this team. One step forward and three back which is more than old now. Most say we can't fire Frost because we can't change coaches again and don't want to pony up the buyout.

Moos needs to step in now and STRONGLY recommend some staff changes imo. Let Frost blame Moos if wants a scape goat and then make some much needed assisstant coach changes. Looking at other programs with 3rd year coaches MANY have been making great improvements. We on the other hand look just as inept if not more so then Frosts first season. Obviously something needs to change other than saying we didn't have any juice and we need to fix it? Paying anyone 5 million a year for what we're seeing is totally ridicilous. We probably won't win another game this season which is beyond terrible imo. We are the Kansas of the BIG now and frankly we're lucky there aren't fans in the stand this season because it would have gotten ugly.

Let me make this crystal clear I'm not saying we FIRE HCSF at this point in time. I am saying the only person that can force changes is his boss Mr Moos. Let Frost pick the OC and DC he wants to bring in subject to approval of Moos. If he refuses to make constructive changes then let the chips fall where they will. The clown show that's going on right now it's completely and totally unacceptable imo. Nebraska pays top dollar for what we've been seeing? If that's acceptable to the AD then he also needs to go. When is SOMEONE going to be held accountable for this 3rd year debacle?

I understand the sentiment but if you have to micromanage the selection of who your CEO surrounds himself with you've got bigger problems. You either fire the CEO or you let him run the ship.

I understand the sentiment but if you have to micromanage the selection of who your CEO surrounds himself with you've got bigger problems. You either fire the CEO or you let him run the ship.
There are times in any company that higher management needs to step in at least to provide some guidence and leadership. HCSF is still not a wealth of head coaching experience imo and it shows. I'm simply saying that Frost boss can't be happy with what's been happening. I believe if we retain the same staff we're going to get the same results. If that's acceptable to Frosts superiors then so be it.

I just don’t understand how we can have 3 4* QB’s on the roster.....that our coaches recruited to play QB, and they aren’t “passing QB’s”.
Either what you say is true and our coaches can’t evaluate talent, and should be held accountable. Or they can’t develop, and they should be held accountable.

There’s no excuse for our poor play that doesn’t point at the coaches. That’s what you’re paid millions of dollars to do.
They passed on Burrow dose that answer your question?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back