• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I am serious: Fire Chin now!

It's gotten to the point that I expect our opponents to score every time they touch the football.
But they haven't been. Quite truthfully I don't know many defenses that wouldn't give up 40+ points when the offense provides the other team 5 turnovers and the special teams and refs provided them a half dozen more opportunities.
I'm not saying chin is good but we need to prioritize our fixes.

Last edited:
In the game chat, I said we should go hire any random coach from the Wiscy defensive coaching tree and let them set up a 3-4 that works in the B10. As you note, Wiscy runs a 3-4 and has done so for years successfully. It isn't the scheme.. and I don't think it's the talent either right now.
If it's not the scheme.....which I believe.....and it's not the talent.....which I also believe there is only one thing left. Developing the talent to the level of execution. Im not talking strength and conditioning. Talent basic fundamental player techniques. Blocking, getting off blocks, tackling, running routes, basic hand and footwork techniques.

Last edited:
In the game chat, I said we should go hire any random coach from the Wiscy defensive coaching tree and let them set up a 3-4 that works in the B10. As you note, Wiscy runs a 3-4 and has done so for years successfully. It isn't the scheme.. and I don't think it's the talent either right now.
I actually understand him bringing his whole staff with him, they had success together and they’re comfortable with one another. But when we got rid of Walters we went with a familiar guy in Lubick. I would want to go see who Frost has worked with in the past and if they have any DC experience now.

I don’t think firing Chinander is the answer. For me that’s like when we fired Banker even though our defense was statistically better than Langsdorf and our offense.

But they haven't been. Quite truthfully I don't know many defenses that wouldn't give up 40+ points when the offense provides the other team 5 turnovers and the special teams hand refs provided them a half dozen more opportunities.
Right. Five turnovers and a fake punt to put us back out on the field and I’m actually shocked we held them to 41.

But they haven't been. Quite truthfully I don't know many defenses that wouldn't give up 40+ points when the offense provides the other team 5 turnovers and the special teams hand refs provided them a half dozen more opportunities.
So, from word go, the defense sucked. There's that. They didn't show any sign of being able to stop them...Illinois!
Not Wisconsin....Not Minnesota....Not Indiana. Frigging Illinois. No run defense makes the passing game open up. They ran it down our throat from the word go. Period.

We're not going to completely shift offensive philosophy during the middle of the season. That would basically guarantee us losing out.
Averaging 2 offensive tds a game is already guaranteeing losing out. Especially since after 4 games it appears like we don't have an offensive philosophy. Every game seems completely weird.

So, from word go, the defense sucked. There's that. They didn't show any sign of being able to stop them...Illinois!
Not Wisconsin....Not Minnesota....Not Indiana. Frigging Illinois. No run defense makes the passing game open up. They ran it down our throat from the word go. Period.
. Well if you want to start at word go.....let's not skip over the first play from scrimmage.

If a team cannot, will not play D in this league, don't expect winning seasons.
yes watching the NW/Wisc game yesterday reminded me what the BIG is about - solid off and a power def.

That game was like watching a good chess match.

Not the point.

What was Frost hired to do? Bring a high-powered offense to Lincoln.

How were we going to win games? With a top notch defense? No. With a high-powered offense? Yes.

Which side of the ball has underachieved far more from expectations? The offense.

It's up to our offense to be effective enough so that the opposition is trying to keep up in the scoring -- giving our defense an advantage. Not the other way around. Not the defense holding the offense to 14-17 points each game so that our weak-assed offense can squeak by scoring 21.

We'd have a grand total of zero wins this season if it wasn't for our defense.
It's not good at all (which isn't my ponit) -- but it's done more to hold up its end of the bargain than the craptastic display of our pathetically bad offense in the era of high-powered offense. There aren't many teams with top notch defenses any more -- but a whole lot of them can score points in bunches -- we can't.

Frost was never going to bring the Wisconsin brand to Nebraska. We thought he'd bring a game that would commonly result in 49-28 types of wins.

I totally get and agree with what you’re saying with that whole post as far as Frost being hired to bring a high powered offense, but we have to also be honest in that our defense gave up 500 yards to PSU. They didn’t Win the game... Granted, they did have two very nice stops that were crucial down the stretch so I do not want to take away from that at all.

We should also remember if not for a scoop and score and an interception that was run back to the three that’s 14 points our offense most likely doesn’t score.........

And if we throw in the reality that if PSU puts that other quarterback in to begin with, we don’t win the game either.....

So.......

To salvage anything of this mess, you have to start with a defense that can stop somebody.

PSU was a mirage, if Franklin starts Levis in stead of the Clifford "turnover machine", they walk over use too and we are 0-5. You know PSU had > 500 yards against Chin's D, even with the "goal line stands".

There is in fact talent on the defense, not great talent, but enough young talent to do better than this in year 3 of the program. This says that a change in "coaching or scheme" could be to DONU advantage. Obviously just a new DE coach didnt do enough :(.

Scott is faced with the same issue that PJ Fleck faced at mid year and even though I don't like the guy, Fleck had the balls to fire his D-coordinator in mid stream, a bold move, which resulted in a marked improvement in his defense and wins for his team.

Finally, fortuitously, there is even a name brand d-coordinator that could be hired: Muschamp, former head coach at South Carolina. Now as a Head Coach he is so, so but he has a really good rep as a d-coordinator in the SEC, just what we need right now to come in and change the tone on that side of the football.

I know we are not removing Scott for at least another two years, but I am 67 years old and I can't stand watching two more years of this over and over again. Something has got to change in a major way, and I think AD Moos knows it just like I do.

GBR

So many thoughts on this. First, aside from Illinois, the defense has looked surprisingly good this year. Yes, they won the PSU game for us. They also exceeded expectations against NW and OSU. The day they wear the cursed jerseys, they were off.

Your description of Muschamp reminds me of another "great" D coordinator. He is at LSU today.

The offense IMO is where our greatest issue is. I go back to Frost saying he has a little trouble because they have more personnel packages than he has ever worked with before. I am really starting to believe the problem is our QBs are struggling because of the massive, complicated offense with a high number of packages and it is too much... you know what I see? Indecision. They are trying to process too much. Going back to Frosts playing days, they kept it simple, practiced the hell out of plays, and then ran them to near perfection. More of THAT please. I don’t care if we run a predictable option offense but whatever we run, we should run it well.

We do have the talent to compete with just about anyone. Yes, we have better talent than Indiana too! We have good coaches! They all seem to have the want. But they are ALL trying to do too much. That usually does not work well.

In his presser, Frost talked basics. That's close. But they just need to make it more simple, especially with so many young players on the field! What they are doing today on offense is reminiscent of what Pelini did on defense.

Last edited:

Other than giving up an acutal pick-6 or scoop-score . . . I can't think of a much worse position for the Husker offense to put the defense in after ONE play from scrimmage to start the game than a fumble deep in your own territory. The game had barely started and our potato offense gift-wrapped the ball to IL in easy scoring range.

Doesn't matter if it should have been reviewed and overturned or not. It was a hideous, stupid turnover to start the game and I'm sure the defense could see the "here we go again" machine firing up.

So many thoughts on this. First, aside from Illinois, the defense has looked surprisingly good this year. Yes, they won the PSU game for us. They also exceeded expectations against NW and OSU. The day they wear the cursed jerseys, they were off.

Your description of Muschamp reminds me of another "great" D coordinator. He is at LSU today.

The offense IMO is where our greatest issue is. I go back to Frost saying he has a little trouble because they have more personnel packages than he has ever worked with before. I am really starting to believe the problem is our QBs are struggling because of the massive, complicated offensive with a high number of packages and it is too much... you know what I see? Indecision. They are trying to process too much. Going back to Frosts playing days, they kept it simple, practiced the hell out of plays, and then ran them to near perfection. More of THAT please. I don’t care if we run a predictable option offense but whatever we run, we should run it well.

We do have the talent to compete with just about anyone. Yes, we have better talent than Indiana too! We have good coaches! They all seem to have the want. But they are ALL trying to do too much. That usually does not work well.

In his presser, Frost talked basics. That's close. But they just need to make it more simple, especially with so many young players on the field! What they are doing today on offense is reminiscent of what Pelini did on defense.
The first words out of any coach that is on the hotseat are typically "simplify things".

Right. Five turnovers and a fake punt to put us back out on the field and I’m actually shocked we held them to 41.
At no point did the defe
. Well if you want to start at word go.....let's not skip over the first play from scrimmage.
And we promptly went down the field and then it was even. Right? Quit excusing the fact that Illinois, of all teams, pounded the D all day long. Did the defense ever show anything resembling a team that would stop Illinois regardless of what position they were in, regardless of circumstances????? No way.

At no point did the defe

And we promptly went down the field and then it was even. Right? Quit excusing the fact that Illinois, of all teams, pounded the D all day long. Did the defense ever show anything resembling a team that would stop Illinois regardless of what position they were in, regardless of circumstances????? No way.
I’ve got two games out of the four this season that the defense looked championship caliber. How many offensively?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back