• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching Changes since 1997

I disagree about Pelini. He had to go because he gave the university a huge black eye. His temperament and mouth were toxic.
He didn't do himself any favors with those incidents, so that's a fair argument. Never winning fewer than 9 games looks tempting right now though. I do think his best coaching was in his first 3 years when he quickly turned around the Callahan mess... but had Callahan's recruits.

Solich earned more time with much needed staff upgrades/changes... but the entitled & impatient proved they had more dollars than sense & flushed decades of DONU football structure out with the bathwater.

No more speculation or hunches when it comes to regimes... the OP acknowledges every one of these previous iterations probably deserved more time - this current one (two full seasons + a Covid "year") certainly does without question IMHO.

My one question for all the “get rid of Frost” people is this: Who do you hire? Or better yet, who is a good hire that would actually take the job? If you throw a big name out there, you better throw 10 Million a year out there, too.

My one question for all the “get rid of Frost” people is this: Who do you hire? Or better yet, who is a good hire that would actually take the job? If you throw a big name out there, you better throw 10 Million a year out there, too.
I dont know with the contract extension if Nebraska can afford to pay off Frost and hire a new coach. If we can't Frost needs to make major renovations to his staff and not just 1 or 2 changes.
If we were to replace Frost my first choice would be Brent Venables. Dont know if he would take the job or not.

He didn't do himself any favors with those incidents, so that's a fair argument. Never winning fewer than 9 games looks tempting right now though. I do think his best coaching was in his first 3 years when he quickly turned around the Callahan mess... but had Callahan's recruits.
Callahan had some good recruits.

I dont know with the contract extension if Nebraska can afford to pay off Frost and hire a new coach. If we can't Frost needs to make major renovations to his staff and not just 1 or 2 changes.
If we were to replace Frost my first choice would be Brent Venables. Dont know if he would take the job or not.
I made a similar post on Facebook and the only name posted was also Venables. Ok, now for reality: the buyout of Frost’s contract is immense and I’m afraid he will not be firing any assistants because he is loyal....which is admirable but he is also stubborn, which could be his downfall. I can accept the “youth” argument but even youth shows improvement over a while.

The biggest mistake was firing Frank. Overall he did well. He's proven he's a good coach with a very good performance at Ohio. He had some down times but was on the rebound when he got fired. It disrupted the good connection we had going since Devaney. The fact that we have had how many experiments to get back there since then bears this out, I feel. I still remember the day that our a.d. made this announcement and cloaked it with his personal commitment to not be mediocre. Well, we've been that and below that for quite some time now.

The biggest mistake was firing Frank. Overall he did well. He's proven he's a good coach with a very good performance at Ohio. He had some down times but was on the rebound when he got fired. It disrupted the good connection we had going since Devaney. The fact that we have had how many experiments to get back there since then bears this out, I feel. I still remember the day that our a.d. made this announcement and cloaked it with his personal commitment to not be mediocre. Well, we've been that and below that for quite some time now.
Thank you for that contribution.

Maybe but he was fired 17 years ago...So it was a mistake that should of easily been remedied by now.....What I think the mistake was? AD Peterson and his coaching hires. Riley also didn't do anything special. IMO, Frost would be WAYYYYYY better if he could check his ego at the door....but he is showing to be a "I CAN make this square peg go into a round hole" kind of coach. I just wish he would get off of his "Oregon speed, Husker power" cause NEITHER IS WORKING!!! Both the offense and defense, for lack of a better word, suck! I hope he realizes it is sometimes more than players, and, YES, we are ridiculously young but there has to be a time where anyone has to look in the mirror and say, "I have to change X." Hopefully he gets it before he is gone from Nebraska and trying to get hired on as coach at Chadron State.

Money won’t solve the problem.

And while I have the floor...a bit off topic...but I wonder if a major impact on yesterday's game was the absence of a look-alike contest for this game. :)

Money won’t solve the problem.
I totally agree! The thing is, who would take the job? Yes, great fan/administration support but a place that has to battle for recruits, high intense fan interaction (which is good and bad), a perception of being a medium tier program despite the history, location, etc. What "big name" coach would take it? Maybe a Urban Meyer/Bob Stoops, who wants to get back into the game but, if they did want to coach again, their "feelers" they put out beforehand would get them much better job opportunities.

So what can we do but trust Frost's vision? I like Scott and I think he will turn it around. When he was hired, pretty much everyone said, "It is going to take 3-4 years." Well, it may take 4-5...or 5-6 years. Look at the dang roster!! FR/RFR.Soph's EVERYWHERE. This has to be one of the youngest rosters around. And he isn't afraid to play them. A RFR QB has supplanted the "once Heisman dark horse" Jr. FR WR's are playing more and more (though not getting many passes thrown their way). 2 FR OL, and a soph....2 soph LB's, with a RFR. RFR Snodgrass will b e seeing more action now.....RFR/soph DB's, one who leads the team in INT's. The list goes on and on...WE ARE YOUNG!!!!

We as fans know this.....but we as fans also want instant gratification. Not happening here for a while. Everyone brings up Minnesota from going "crappy" like us to 11-3 last year. Look at them this year. One bad call, for them, from being 1-4.

I would agree, but apathy is settling in....that’s worse than anger. When folks stop caring, you have MASSIVE problems...
Don't worry, I'm mad as hell and have enough anger to fuel the entire fan base for quite some time. :mad:

;););););)

• Haha
Reactions: GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back