• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So let’s tap the brakes a bit...

@Skeeball, I think this is on point. Someone mentioned Rutgers and they have 7 seniors/jr's. 2 soph, 2 fresh on offense. 10 S/Jr's on Defense. I think when the first class fell apart and many others have left, the talent pool of Jr's and Seniors has been greatly reduced. I had asked early on if you go for a experience year and discount this year to get younger players some quality time and do a youth movement. Or do you try and play your older players. The youth movement appears to be Frosts plan. Growing pains are painful for sure. I think they had to go for a full rebuild, and as such Frost got the 7 year contract. Thus 5 to 7 years for us to be good again. When the Fresh/Soph are Jr/Sr is when we start to see the consistency and quality to complete day in and day out. The BIG is just to good top to bottom to take anyone for granted and when you don't show up with your best you get spanked, even from bottom dwellers. I remember during a game with Illinois when Riley was here the anouncers talking about how a youth movement was Lovie's plan and how when they were seniors they would be much better.

Only fire Frost if you have the money on the short hook for his buyout AND 20 million a year for Urban Meyer lol. No worries, Frost is safe.... we’ll just have to pray for the football gods give the NU coaches a clue on how to get things done soon. There is my dumb and sarcastic post of the day.

The reality is, we have no choice but to be patient.
So true....

yet so hard after today...

sun comes up tomorrow morning....Time to flush it and get focused on the next game where hopefully we will see some improvement.

I am with you. I ultimately think he gets this done but it has been much more painful than I ever thought it would be when he got hired. Much more.

So true....

sun comes up tomorrow morning....Time to flush it and get focused on the next game where hopefully we will see some improvement.

I am with you. I ultimately think he gets this done but it has been much more painful than I ever thought it would be when he got hired. Much more.

I think if you isolate the offense, you could make the argument there was some progress in that we are starting to see some young players getting to see the field. Still not good offense, but some glimmers.

what is devastating is the realization that our defensive improvement was essentially a mirage. We went from moderately passable defense to a complete fiasco in a week. It’s always one step forward and two steps back with this team. :Banghead:

The itty bitty experiment does not work in B1G and HCSF needs to adjust.
This....

he needs to forget the arrogant business about teams adjusting to us. He needs to learn how to play Big Ten football. Stick the tempo and the other stuff in his back pocket for when he has More experience and a lot more depth.

Last edited:
Hard to tap the brakes when in our last 10 games, we've won exactly 2. 1 was against a winless team and the other was against a 1 win Maryland team. We are winning 20% of games and only against the very bottom of the barrel in the conference. I don't think we can afford to fire another coach. We've done too much of that. But, this is a new low for Nebraska football. I really hope Frost can figure it out. We certainly aren't seeing any progress on the field.
This just in. We are the bottom of the barrel.

This is disappointing, but continuing to fire coaches every few years isn't going to help. I don't think people realize just how big a rebuild this is. We are a lower tier team, and we have been since 2015. We've had 2 years and 4 games, and we're ready to blow it up and start over again?

As painful as it is, we're going to have to wait this out a little longer.

I'm with you on this. Everytime the brilliance of our fan base has demanded a complete overhaul we've gotten a little worse. Blowing the program up every few years is more damaging than people think.

But all that said, Frost needs to show he can at least get what he has to play at or above their skill level. Right now they seem disorganized and undisciplined. At a minimum I was expecting a disciplined and organized team that loses because they are outmatched but that's not what's happening.

I'm still all in on Scott but it's getting harder on days like today.

Last edited:
This is disappointing, but continuing to fire coaches every few years isn't going to help. I don't think people realize just how big a rebuild this is. We are a lower tier team, and we have been since 2015. We've had 2 years and 4 games, and we're ready to blow it up and start over again?

As painful as it is, we're going to have to wait this out a little longer.

I agree, he will and should get through year 5. We'll have all the evidence we need at that point. The program was in bad shape, but I think a lot of other coaches could have done better here in this amount of time. I'm rapidly losing my faith in Frost, and am now in the show me category I guess. Regardless of how bad this year is, or even the next, he needs to have some time. We can't keep firing head coaches at this point.

After 24-48 hours i don't think there will be a strong contingent looking to can Frost this year. But I think it's pretty clear that he'll be coaching for his job next year. Nobody can cry foul for letting a coach go who has 0 winning seasons out of 4.

I think he gets 5, and I think that's fair. But if next year is a trainwreck like this year, I think we all know the writing is on the wall.

Frost is going to get this done. We got hosed early and often by the stripes. Freshman QB with one game to his name. Don’t have our one and two deep RBs.
Yes, our defense sucks, and Frost will address this, though we may need a new coordinator.

We owe frost 5 or 6 years contractually; give him his time. We will get things going.

Refs had nothing to do with this loss.

C

I agree, he will and should get through year 5. We'll have all the evidence we need at that point. The program was in bad shape, but I think a lot of other coaches could have done better here in this amount of time. I'm rapidly losing my faith in Frost, and am now in the show me category I guess. Regardless of how bad this year is, or even the next, he needs to have some time. We can't keep firing head coaches at this point.

I think he gets 5, and I think that's fair. But if next year is a trainwreck like this year, I think we all know the writing is on the wall.

I'm certain he's getting year four, but year five is questionable -- not at all a lock.

Let's say we finish this season with 1-2 wins. Frost is going to go into 2021 with a bullseye on his back. That's just how it is, fair or not. Today did more damage to the perception of our program under Frost than any other game by far. The hope meter dropped significantly among the fan base (and possibly some recruits). We didn't just lose to a team that hasn't had a winning season in 9 years -- that we were favored by 16.5 on the closing line -- we were owned. I've never seen Nebraska owned like they were today against a team as mediocre to poor as Illinois.

What happens if we struggle the rest of the way this season -- do you think we hold the recruiting class together? I'm skeptical. What happens with another losing season next year -- the recruits are going to be running away quickly -- guaranteed. What if we find our recruiting class ranked 4th in the West when we are always first (and lose even with the talent advantage)? Do we just go ahead and push forward to year five and hope the rapidly sinking ship isn't destroyed to the point that a bigger rebuild than we've ever seen in Lincoln is required? I'm very concerned Frost's sales pitch to recruits is going to be leaking oil quickly -- to the point it's gushing oil if we fail again in year four.

Even you said "if next year is a train wreck like this year, I think we all know the writing is on the wall." Then why push forward with a year five knowing the risk of even greater damage to this program is very real?

Look -- maybe we can pull out winning two of our final three games somehow. And maybe we can get six wins and a bowl game next season. That would certainly earn Frost a year five. But if those are instead failures, I don't see how Frost gets a year five. It will be even uglier than Riley's year three. Tickets will struggle to sell. Recruits won't buy what Frost is selling. And alumni with great financial pull will have tremendous influence. We cannot have four consecutive losing seasons under Frost and expect a season five -- absolutely no way.

Last edited:
So true....

The crazy part is that we only have 3 games left! Hoping we see some shifts to make the offseason something better than how it looks today

Frost is loyal to his guys, but they're not getting the job done.

He needs to decide if he wants to be loyal to his coaches or to his alma mater. It would be nice if he could get both (Ruud, for example) but at the end of the day he needs to decide which he prioritizes.

It's like when you get your buddy a job and they hate it. You gotta decide if your loyalty to your friend trumps your loyalty to the job. Frost hasn't figured this out yet.

I'm certain he's getting year four, but year five is questionable -- not at all a lock.

Let's say we finish this season with 1-2 wins. Frost is going to go into 2021 with a bullseye on his back. That's just how it is, fair or not. Today did more damage to the perception of our program under Frost than any other game by far. The hope meter dropped significantly among the fan base (and possibly some recruits). We didn't just lose to a team that hasn't had a winning season in 9 years -- that we were favored by 16.5 on the closing line -- we were owned. I've never seen Nebraska owned like they were today against a team as mediocre to poor as Illinois.

What happens if we struggle the rest of the way this season -- do you think we hold the recruiting class together? I'm skeptical. What happens with another losing season next year -- the recruits are going to be running away quickly -- guaranteed. What if we find our recruiting class ranked 4th in the West when we are always first (and lose even with the talent advantage)? Do we just go ahead and push forward to year five and hope the rapidly sinking ship isn't destroyed to the point that a bigger rebuild than we've ever seen in Lincoln is required? I'm very concerned Frost's sales pitch to recruits is going to be leaking oil quickly -- to the point it's gushing oil if we fail again in year four.

Even you said "if next year is a train wreck like this year, I think we all know the writing is on the wall." Then why push forward with a year five knowing the risk of even greater damage to this program is very real?

Look -- maybe we can pull out winning two of our final three games somehow. And maybe we can get six wins and a bowl game next season. That would certainly earn Frost a year five. But if those are instead failures, I don't see how Frost gets a year five. It will be even uglier than Riley's year three. Tickets will struggle to sell. Recruits won't buy what Frost is selling. And alumni with great financial pull will have tremendous influence. We cannot have four consecutive losing seasons under Frost and expect a season five -- absolutely no way.
Forget holding the recruiting class, when do the players jump ship to the transfer portal.
Maybe look in the portal for a QB that is a qb and not a RB playing wildcat.

Tap the brakes, looked like a football team locked them up. I see nothing from our QB’s that would want to make me not want to load the box, except for putting 3 defenders in the middle of the field 8 yards past line of scrimmage taking away the only pass our team seems to be able to complete, the short over the middle to a TE. The team does not need a spark from a second year player, they need a spark from a coaching staff that will hold a center accountable for holding and a snap chart that resembles Joe Bauserman passing chart(referencing a post by *** in. Freshmen bingo thread,)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back