• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I am serious: Fire Chin now!

A lot of that is self inflicted. If you are going to play "bend, don't break", not get 3 and outs, and let your opponents convert 50% of their 3rd down conversions, its your own fault you are on the field so much.

Yes, the offense doesn't help, but the D could do a lot to help themselves get off the field. They either refuse to or can't. Either way, its a problem. All three phases suck and they can't point the finger at each other.

I hear you, but a perpetual 3-out offense means you defense is always on the field. It’s just a matter of how high the score goes.

Your offense has to score a ton of points, or give d players a breather. Ideally, both.

Last edited:
Scott Frost was brought here to win games. Period. However it was done. Chin doesn't get a pass for sucking because the offense isn't scoring 45 a game. I get that we're never going to have a 10 pt a game defense. That's hardly the expectation.

This defense can't do ANY of the fundamentals. That starts with tackling. They can't force a punt. They can't cover. Half the secondary thinks tackling with your helmet scores points. Etc.

There is a reason Florida didn't want Frost if he was bringing his whole staff. You don't bring in a relatively green HC and let him bring a green coaching staff. It's a recipe for DISASTER....soon to be represented by lighting about $40M on fire at the end of next season.

Chin isn't entirely responsible for NU sucking. Every coach in that program shares in that. And it's entirely reasonable for there to be a thread for each and every one of them to be raked over the coals.

We probably aren't that far away in our thinking.

My point is simply that Frost's offense has done much more to hamper the effectiveness of the defense than the other way around. It was never going to be an upper-tier defense -- and that was never part of Frost's plan. He's only coached on teams where the offense carries the defense.

I don't believe even a solid, quality defensive coordinator would have success at Nebraska as things stand now. Not when the offense can't score points, can't sustain drives, can't control the clock, can't convert third downs, and can't avoid turnovers. It's a recipe for disaster and puts way too much pressure on the defense.

Sure, I have no problem with negative criticism of Chinander. But that's truly not the root of the problem with this team. A part of it -- sure. But not the biggest. Heck, even Ohio State doesn't have much of a defense this season -- they were shredded by Indiana today. Yet they may very well play for a national title -- because they have Justin Fields and an offense that can score 40-50+ points every game. For better or worse, that's how you win games in the current era of football.

We are averaging two offensive touchdowns per game through four games. That will never get it done.

Last edited:
Scott Frost was brought here to win games. Period. However it was done. Chin doesn't get a pass for sucking because the offense isn't scoring 45 a game. I get that we're never going to have a 10 pt a game defense. That's hardly the expectation.

This defense can't do ANY of the fundamentals. That starts with tackling. They can't force a punt. They can't cover. Half the secondary thinks tackling with your helmet scores points. Etc.

There is a reason Florida didn't want Frost if he was bringing his whole staff. You don't bring in a relatively green HC and let him bring a green coaching staff. It's a recipe for DISASTER....soon to be represented by lighting about $40M on fire at the end of next season.

Chin isn't entirely responsible for NU sucking. Every coach in that program shares in that. And it's entirely reasonable for there to be a thread for each and every one of them to be raked over the coals.
Well said!

We probably aren't that far away in our thinking.

My point is simply that Frost's offense has done much more to hamper the effectiveness of the defense than the other way around. It was never going to be an upper-tier defense -- and that was never part of Frost's plan. He's only coached on teams where the offense carries the defense.

I don't believe even a solid, quality defensive coordinator would have success at Nebraska as things stand now. Not when the offense can't score points, can't sustain drives, can't control the clock, can't convert third downs, and can't avoid turnovers. It's a recipe for disaster and puts way too much pressure on the defense.

Sure, I have no problem with negative criticism of Chinander. But that's truly not the root of the problem with this team. A part of it -- sure. But not the biggest. Heck, even Ohio State doesn't have much of a defense this season -- they were shredded by Indiana today. Yet they may very well play for a national title -- because they have Justin Fields and an offense that can score 40-50+ points every game. For better or worse, that's how you win games in the current era of football.

You need an O-line that can push people around for your O-coordinator to be successful in the BiG.

We are just getting O-line talent but it is still 18-19 years old trying to compete against 22 year olds, tough sledding.

We may have an internal candidate for D-coordiantor, one of our current defensive analysts was D-coordinator at Boston College:

McGovern entered the NFL ranks after more than two decades as a collegiate assistant. He spent 13 seasons at Boston College from 2000 to 2012, serving as the Eagles’ defensive coordinator in his final four seasons. McGovern coached two ACC Defensive Players of the Year at Boston College, including Luke Kuechly, who was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and five-time All-Pro during his eight-year NFL career. As coordinator, McGovern helped Boston College lead the nation in rushing defense (82.8), rank 13th nationally in total defense (309.7) and 19th in scoring defense (19.5) in 2010. In his first season as defensive coordinator in 2009, the Eagles ranked 14th nationally in rush defense (103.2) and 19th in scoring defense.

Couldn't hurt to see what a switch would do and he is currently working with the "team"

We desparately need superior defensive linemen and inside linebackers. Watch the better Big Ten teams and their inside linebackers make loads of play.

True -- though we don't even seem interested in trying to run the ball with our backs. I don't think Frost is interested in pounding the rock. He'd rather have a collection of scat backs that are fast and versatile. And I don't believe that's going to work in the Big Ten. In the past two games, the true running backs (not counting the hybrid back, Robinson) have gotten less than 10 combined carries.
I don't think it's going to work either and there is no evidence it will so far. Can't throw the ball combined with aground game reliant on the QB running the ball is doomed.

Ron Brown RB coach
Someone who is a really good Offensive Line coach
A new QB coach/ OC? Wish list Urb
New TE coach
Muschamp for D and whoever he wants

You need an O-line that can push people around for your O-coordinator to be successful in the BiG.

We are just getting O-line talent but it is still 18-19 years old trying to compete against 22 year olds, tough sledding.

We may have an internal candidate for D-coordiantor, one of our current defensive analysts was D-coordinator at Boston College:

McGovern entered the NFL ranks after more than two decades as a collegiate assistant. He spent 13 seasons at Boston College from 2000 to 2012, serving as the Eagles’ defensive coordinator in his final four seasons. McGovern coached two ACC Defensive Players of the Year at Boston College, including Luke Kuechly, who was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and five-time All-Pro during his eight-year NFL career. As coordinator, McGovern helped Boston College lead the nation in rushing defense (82.8), rank 13th nationally in total defense (309.7) and 19th in scoring defense (19.5) in 2010. In his first season as defensive coordinator in 2009, the Eagles ranked 14th nationally in rush defense (103.2) and 19th in scoring defense.

Couldn't hurt to see what a switch would do and he is currently working with the "team"

We've been starting 2-3 seniors on the offensive line. And Farinok and Jaimes have plenty of starting experience. I'd say for overall experience and depth, the offensive line is probably the top unit on our team. That was truly supposed to be a strength going into this season.

I am curious about McGovern. Interesting.

I'm questioning the strength coach too. We can't seem to push anybody around. We need what Charlie McBride called "thug" players. When they hit you they didn't expect you to get up.

We need to start to run power football single back sets are not forgiving enough. I think HCSF needs to protect QB and not put QB running as the primary weapon. The offense looks anemic and I have not been impressed with the Qb coach at all because I am not seeing the QB become better game managers or better even skill sets. We could use a special team coach and get rid of the QB coach. I think to get Mills healthy run an H-back or FB in front of Mills double team with offensive linemen at the point of attack and get rid of the stretch play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back