• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Not so fake punt

Had not seen any comment yet but what the hell was going on with the not really a fake punt? the punter looked scared to death but still got the yardage!
Complete incompetence. And that was a chance to pick up some momentum after a rare 3rd down stop.

This was one of two plays that confirmed we were destined to lose. The other was our first play fumble. Both great ways to give a big underdog some confidence.

Last edited:
I think he was shocked that there was that much open field in front of him. He probably thought it was a trap...... :)
[/QUOTE
I agree! that was Illinois coaches telling him to watch and if we turned and ran to go But he was so surprised he almost blew it. Our coaching in Special teams has not improved in three years either

That play is a perfect example of what is wrong with this program. Doesn’t matter how many great athletes you put on the field if they have a low football IQ and no attention to detail they will not be successful. Another example was the sack we had in the first half when the quarterback fumbled the ball and nobody on our team ever even realized it. Ball laid there and Nebraska guys just stood there.

That play is a perfect example of what is wrong with this program. Doesn’t matter how many great athletes you put on the field if they have a low football IQ and no attention to detail they will not be successful. Another example was the sack we had in the first half when the quarterback fumbled the ball and nobody on our team ever even realized it. Ball laid there and Nebraska guys just stood there.

Big Red Overreaction talked about that fake punt play. One of the reasons they, and perhaps the Illinois punter, were so amazed is that Illinois ran that *exact* play last week. Either the Nebraska coaches are incompetent because they didn't tell their players to watch for that play despite the fact they'd seen it on tape, or the players are incompetent because they didn't learn how to see the "keys" for that play and stop it even though they'd seen it on tape and their coaches had talked about it.

I think the punter may have been shocked that the play worked as well as it did. There was *nobody* around to stop him.

Last edited:

I was wondering about the guys that turned around and started running the other way. Its an empty stadium and easy to hear the punt. At what point do you realize you never heard it when you should have?

Even if you call for a return. There are always and I mean always 2 to 3 players that have responsibility to ensure that the punt takes place.

we had.....one..... and he got juked and blocked at the same time.

In my mind at least two huskers absolutely did not do what they were supposed to do.

Football IQ be damned. That’s simply lack of coaching and repetitions so that a player does exactly what he supposed to do.

You did it in the army until a kid didn’t even think about it...he just did it. Because in the heat of a fire fight too much thinking gets you killed.

I also question the idea of going all out for a return. We had stopped them....what we needed was the damn ball.

Stay at home till he punts the damn thing.

This play and the initial fumble broke our backs in my opinion.

Speaking of which I still cannot understand why that play was not reviewed. It was a questionable call. Is there some rule that Frost has to call for the review? And if so why the hell didn’t he? I ran it back in slow motion and it looks to me like the call would’ve been overturned in our favor.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back