• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Mario V

For those who missed it, Luke is making throws he absolutely couldn’t make last year. Per Luke, Coach V helped him work through some problems with his stroke and he can put more on the ball now. The only player who seems to really be regressing is Adrian, so is that on the staff or is it on AM? They didn’t tell him to over eat and lose quickness. They aren’t telling him to short hop balls or miss open guys. When we click, it’s not the play calling, it’s the execution, and a great deal of the time the times we aren’t executing are stemming from QB mistakes. I mentioned it to someone else, but he seems to have a football version of the yips.

For lack of a better word I think having the Yips is a very appropriate term for what AM has.

Ive a feeling *** is going to do a breakdown where shown plays arent coached the way they were played.

All I noticed was, after that quick pass early on, which was right on the money, timely, and nfl quality, AM seemed too tight after that, then rushed, then forceably slowed.
Nothing seemed to settle him.
But watch closely, he tred several ways to get himself out of his funk, and thats coaching.

Last edited:
I think the jury is still out on Verdu as a coach. I wouldn't call for the guys head, as the sample size is too small to tell one way or the other. Yes, he is a strange, strange dude and I'm not close enough to the coaches office to know the impact he has on the kids both emotionally as well as technically.

The question is, how much of an impact he is making considering he only recruits one player a year. If his impact is great, keep him. If not, hire an all-star recruiter in his place and let Scott and Held, go after the class QB each year.

Everything you said is reasonable conjecture, but that's all it is. Go watch Luke's high school film. Talk to people who saw him throw last year. He couldn't throw like that until this year.

Add to the above that the primary recruiter for both Luke and Smothers was their QB coach, and you may want to think a little more deeply about "helping" them by getting rid of the coach that brought them to Lincoln. It's not going to happen anyway.

Everybody is disappointed with AM's performance on Saturday. Some of us handle that maturely, and some of us cry for Mommy to fire somebody because our feelings are all owies. Which one are you?
I haven't once called for the man to be fired but I think it's fair to examine if this proclaimed Quarterback Whisperer is really some sort of guru when you have a Freshman All American QB that has regressed each year. I don't see where anyone has any problem blaming the issues on AM. Personally if you really want to know, I think it's a combination of coaching, injuries, talent at skill positions/supporting cast, offensive line protection, snaps, etc. I'm not ready to say he got complacent, just doesn't have what it takes, or somehow he now has a slow blinker. I saw a side arm throw in the first quarter of the Northwestern game that rivaled anything Patrick Mahomes could pull off. I saw this quarterback his Freshman year play like we have longed for for many years. I heard Tom Osborne proclaim he was the best QB we have had since Tommie Frazier. I see a very raw QB in Luke McCaffery that has very limited time in the position that has a ton of upside and don't at face value attribute all his success (especially arm strength) or failure to his quarterback coach. And lastly I see a QB in McCaffery that if I am not mistaken has made the same mistakes as AM, moves the ball between the 20's much like AM, but to my recollection don't recall him putting the ball in the end zone yet. Much like us gashing Ohio State for a few plays out of the I formation, it's not something many of us would say we could have done all game and be effective. I see 3 transfer QB's starting for other programs and doing well. I'm not running to mommy and my feelings are definitely not hurt but the guys past experience other than Milton doesn't scream Quarterback Whisperer. Yes much of what I have said could be construed as conjecture but so can your assumptions.

Last edited:
Some guys can receive all the best coaching in the world and still not progress. AM has all the physical tools and potential to be good, but something between the ears is stopping him. A hall of fame coach once told me "some guys are just un-coachable". I'm guessing AM looks like an all-star in practice, but when it comes to games he's just off.

LM is Frost's guy too, so I don't understand there being any more loyalty to AM then LM. If there is, we're in trouble.

When discussing the regression of Adrian Martinez it is certainly fair to question the coaching he is getting from Verduzco. Luke threw like 12 passes last year and 21 so far this year, it's not a huge sample set especially when much of those reps against Northwestern were when they were sitting in a prevent defense. Additionally I would not expect a kid that is fighting to get the starting QB spot to do anything but heap praise on his QB coach, but when a kid comes from a family littered with NFL talent he no doubt has resources at his fingertips that other players don't. During that time after the abbreviated spring I'm sure he wasn't just sitting around playing Madden. Personally I will go with the larger sample size we have all witnessed with the regression of AM.
If you didn’t notice the improvements in motion and velocity with Luke, then the conversation is futile. Have you noticed a difference in arm motion, feet or release from Adrian? I haven’t, but I have seen him appearing to try to guide the ball, which is a confidence issue, not mechanics. Let’s try to remember, a kid who missed his senior year, came to spring camp and competed to the point he ran off two 4 star QBs, then played well enough to become a freshman AA, and was being touted as a possible Heisman candidate. Do we really think the coach was the reason he ow lacks confidence, assuming there wasn’t some drastic change in mechanics? They’ve stuck by this kid through thick and thin, so it’s not like he was looking over his shoulder, and I haven’t seen him Pelini’d on the sidelines, so it’s not like he’s a beat dog.

Is Shaq a crappy free throw shooter because all his coaches sucked? You do your best as a teacher, but it’s also on the kid to work through stuff, and not all manage to.

Last edited:

If you didn’t notice the improvements in motion and velocity with Luke, then the conversation is futile. Have you noticed a difference in arm motion, feet or release from Adrian? I haven’t, but I have seen him appearing to try to guide the ball, which is a confidence issue, not mechanics. Let’s try to remember, a kid who missed his senior year, came to spring camp and competed to the point he ran off two 4 star QBs, then played well enough to become a freshman AA, and was being touted as a possible Heisman candidate. Do we really think the coach was the reason he lacks confidence, assuming there wasn’t some drastic change in mechanics? They’ve stuck by this kid through thick and thin, so it’s not like he was looking over his shoulder, and I haven’t seen him Pelini’d on the sidelines, so it’s not like he’s a beat dog.

Is Shaq a crappy free throw shooter because all his coaches sucked? You do your best as a teacher, but it’s also on the kid to work through stuff, and not all manage to.
Shaq was never a 80% free throw shooter that got progressively worse throughout his career. He was always bad. Neither of us know if there is a correlation but the facts are the more time AM has spent in this system the worse he has done. Give LM a full game and let’s see how he does.

Shaq was never a 80% free throw shooter that got progressively worse throughout his career. He was always bad. Neither of us know if there is a correlation but the facts are the more time AM has spent in this system the worse he has done. Give LM a full game and let’s see how he does.
Wait, so that first full year of winning the starting job, coming back from an early injury, and finishing strong was all because of the coaching he got as a junior in high school? Wow, we need to hire that guy fast.

I’m assuming they have B1G games in Nashville, so maybe you want to review some of the games from last year if you have access, and then look in the Max archives for the comments made nearly all season about a soft, slow, injured QB who was dealing with little help from his backfield, receivers or Oline, and that doesn’t even touch on the center snap circus, but with all that, you’ve miraculously linked it all to coaching, primarily Coach V. My, what a keen eye you have!

If you didn’t notice the improvements in motion and velocity with Luke, then the conversation is futile. Have you noticed a difference in arm motion, feet or release from Adrian? I haven’t, but I have seen him appearing to try to guide the ball, which is a confidence issue, not mechanics. Let’s try to remember, a kid who missed his senior year, came to spring camp and competed to the point he ran off two 4 star QBs, then played well enough to become a freshman AA, and was being touted as a possible Heisman candidate. Do we really think the coach was the reason he lacks confidence, assuming there wasn’t some drastic change in mechanics? They’ve stuck by this kid through thick and thin, so it’s not like he was looking over his shoulder, and I haven’t seen him Pelini’d on the sidelines, so it’s not like he’s a beat dog.

I think your yips analysis is spot on with Martinez. Just like a golfer that has lost his putting stroke he has lost his throwing stroke.

He is trying to work through it. He is searching for something to make it better. The problem is he is hurting the team.

Wait, so that first full year of winning the starting job, coming back from an early injury, and finishing strong was all because of the coaching he got as a junior in high school? Wow, we need to hire that guy fast.

I’m assuming they have B1G games in Nashville, so maybe you want to review some of the games from last year if you have access, and then look in the Max archives for the comments made nearly all season about a soft, slow, injured QB who was dealing with little help from his backfield, receivers or Oline, and that doesn’t even touch on the center snap circus, but with all that, you’ve miraculously linked it all to coaching, primarily Coach V. My, what a keen eye you have!
Stick to you basketball coach analysis. I guess you nailed it, it has to just be the yips. If you would take a minute to focus on the entirety of my post and not the part that offends you so much we might get somewhere. I mentioned supporting cast which with even your elementary level diagnosis could tell has regressed, offensive line issues, snaps, and injuries all could contribute. Your analysis-yips. That's quite astute. I guess a coach with a track record like this can't be questioned.

1977–1986Soquel HS (CA) (assistant)
1987–1989Gavilan College (OC/QB/WR)
1990–1991San Jose State (GA)
1991–1993De Anza College (assoc. HC / OC / QB / WR)
1994–1995De Anza College
1996–2000Rutgers (QB/RC)
2001–2005Northern Iowa (QB)
2006–2014Northern Iowa (co-OC/QB)
2015Missouri State (OC/QB)
2016–2017UCF (QB)

Hold your horses guys.
Exactly who gets credit for Luke?
With his one year starting as qb in HS?
The same Luke that has as many turnovers as our starter in significantly less minutes? The Luke the racked up the majority of his stats last week while NW was in prevent mode? The same Luke that if I am not mistaken has never led Nebraska on a touchdown drive? I am actually expecting AM to get the start but hoping for Luke to get the nod and give this team a much needed win or at least some confidence. Your sample size though is way to small to make any judgments regarding his ability or how he has been coached.

The same Luke that has as many turnovers as our starter in significantly less minutes? The Luke the racked up the majority of his stats last week while NW was in prevent mode? The same Luke that if I am not mistaken has never led Nebraska on a touchdown drive? I am actually expecting AM to get the start but hoping for Luke to get the nod and give this team a much needed win or at least some confidence. Your sample size though is way to small to make any judgments regarding his ability or how he has been coached.
You do know Verdus history, right?

Last edited:

I think we have to see how Luke does at QB before we can say that the problem is QB coach V. One data point isn’t exactly a trend. Martinez problems may be due to... Martinez. There’s just not enough to say for sure at this point. We do know coach V didn’t have this problem at UCF.
Yep

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back