• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Mario V

Family pedigree, siblings and father, natural talent

Luke is thrust into the roll because returning starting QB has regressed
Yes, he threw for a better average against NW than he did in HS.

Has AM therefore regressed for lackk of pedigree and poor off season?

AM is struggling, LM flourishes at times.

Yes, he threw for a better average against NW than he did in HS.

Has AM therefore regressed for lackk of pedigree and poor off season?

AM is struggling, LM flourishes at times.
AM has been struggling for 2 seasons now imo. When is enough an enough and other QB's are given a fair shot to start. I don't know exactly what's happened to AM but suffice to say he isn't getting it done. Tossing an inexperienced RSF into a critical situation in the 4th quarter on the road isn't exactly how you want a new QB to take the reigns. We're 0-2 looking down the gun barrel of 0-3 and perhaps not winning a game this season? I ask what does the program look like going 0-8 for this season? Nothing to build on except hot air and platitudes? Should do wonders for recruiting?

Bottom line HCSF had better make some meaningful changes and get these stupid penalties stopped! WE are looking at one of the worst seasons in Nebraska history unless Frost does some GREAT coaching the rest of the way.

AM has been struggling for 2 seasons now imo. When is enough an enough and other QB's are given a fair shot to start. I don't know exactly what's happened to AM but suffice to say he isn't getting it done. Tossing an inexperienced RSF into a critical situation in the 4th quarter on the road isn't exactly how you want a new QB to take the reigns. We're 0-2 looking down the gun barrel of 0-3 and perhaps not winning a game this season? I ask what does the program look like going 0-8 for this season? Nothing to build on except hot air and platitudes? Should do wonders for recruiting?

Bottom line HCSF had better make some meaningful changes and get these stupid penalties stopped! WE are looking at one of the worst seasons in Nebraska history unless Frost does some GREAT coaching the rest of the way.
Cant agree with you more.
I dont think its verdu here, and getting Luke out there is the right call.
I look at this as vaguely similar to year one at ucf, where a upper classman qb started, as the new true fr qb started to shine.
Difference is, AM was picked by this staff, so whatever happens is at a higher level decision, if and when it happens

True indeed CTHusker.....

Martinez didnt look nearly as uncomfortable against OSU as he did vs NW, and that seems very strange. Im surely wondering what happened there ?

Every player has their ceiling, regardless of how much they train, study, work out..... im wondering if AM is there? . There is not a sticker on the player when you bring them in that says, when they hit the ceiling.... its a gamble on each one

But he’s a quarterback whisperer! We seem to have a head coach that struggles calling plays, an offensive coordinator that was hired not to call plays but to coach wideouts that cannot produce, an a quarterback whisperer that transforms a Freshman All American QB into a shell of his former self-But he has some cool John Lennon glasses.

Last edited:
I actually started to make a thread on this very thing. I was going to call it: "Is Chaching the thing" 2AM passing motion has clearly gotten worse since he got here. However Luke passing motion looks better this year than the little we saw last year. So is the 2AM regression MV or is 2AM feeling so much heat from Luke that he is playing tight.

For the record either way I think the needle points to LM next week.
Am agreeing on next weeks starter. Although will have to see if LM is good a whole game. He sure looks to be a better passer yesterday.

Martinez reminds me a little of our starting QB during the 1967 season, Frank Patrick. He was 6'7" from Pennsylvania, and one of the top rated QBs in the nation coming out of high school (as a side note, NU recruited him instead of Marlon Briscoe from Omaha South who was MVP in both the State Shrine football game and Omaha high school All-Star basketball game, starred at Omaha U. and was the first black QB to start in the NFL). Patrick shined on the NU freshman team and as a sophomore led the Big 8 in passing, but then began to taper off. He only started 5 games as a junior, and by the time he was a senior, he was third team tight end.

The lack of development at QB goes along with virtually all of the team. This team has good material, but it needs help from the coaching staff. We are not seeing this input that is so vital for young players. Both CD and Tom were excellent at player development, Scott and his crew are not.

I'm trusting HCSF to make the right decisions regarding OUR football team. Once in a while I think I know more than coaches, and I get what I want. It doesn't come out well.
Go Big Red!

I think we have to see how Luke does at QB before we can say that the problem is QB coach V. One data point isn’t exactly a trend. Martinez problems may be due to... Martinez. There’s just not enough to say for sure at this point. We do know coach V didn’t have this problem at UCF.

I think we have to see how Luke does at QB before we can say that the problem is QB coach V. One data point isn’t exactly a trend. Martinez problems may be due to... Martinez. There’s just not enough to say for sure at this point. We do know coach V didn’t have this problem at UCF.
On the flip side, I think we can most definitely say Mario hasn't been a solution either. Secondly, you can't have it both ways. You can't say Mario is a flop because AM has regressed just as you can't say Mario is a proven quantity because he had Milton for one year.

On the flip side, I think we can most definitely say Mario hasn't been a solution either. Secondly, you can't have it both ways. You can't say Mario is a flop because AM has regressed just as you can't say Mario is a proven quantity because he had Milton for one year.
I didn’t say that. Milton was great. Martinez isn’t. Those are the facts. Is coach V a positive or negative? We don’t know. The jury is still out. Luke becomes another data point for evaluation. I don’t know how one can logically argue anything else.

I never have and will not start complaining about a college football player; however the AAC staff that was brought to Lincoln needs revision and soon. Other than a 4 year stint with Rutgers, QB Coach Mario V has no P5 experience and has demonstrated little if any evidence of developing Husker QBs.

I truly am worried that LM will regress under his oversight. Clever and quirky sound bites have resulted in little positives on the field.
Yes his act is getting old.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back