• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Want to play Tennessee-Chattanooga Saturday? (Update, B1G votes it down)

One of the major problems with this country right now is that having an opposing viewpoint is no longer considered an accepted action.

Doesn't matter how polite you are....or how reasonable you are.....or how many facts you bring to the table....or even any common sense displayed.... You are made fun of...attacked with all kinds of cute and creative memes, total lack of any manners .....twitterized with righteous anger. This problem is all over the country right now but is ESPECIALLY prevalent in our main stream press and media.

YOU are clearly morally wrong and we are clearly morally right! And it is I the attacker that gets to decide the "morality."

It's called "moral clarity" Journalism and it was named after a fella named Wes Lowery who was a Pulitzer Prize winner for the Washington Post and considered brilliant yet VERY hard to work with. His major premise is that "Objective based Journalism in the US is a failed experiment" and that the press must ALWAYS display "moral clarity. Which boils down to opinions and narratives that belong in the OpEd section passing for "hard news" and oh by the way it is the reporter's Moral Clarity and how dare you even question it!

it's a sad state.....Discourse, empathy and compromise are the foundations of this country. Constant lines in the sand, no empathy for an opposing view....hell, not even CONSIDERING an opposing view just never works and causes great harm.

Pat Forde is simply an example of the moral clarity Journalist....and a bad one at that.

Why he has a major column at SI just....frightens me.

We will get through this as a country....we always do..... but know it for what it is. EVERY major newsroom in the US is going through a MAJOR battle right now between the older, traditional objective based journalists and the young firebrands who virtually all fall in the Moral Clarity camp. And when you pull up the resumes of all these young writers. They are all highly educated from very liberal, expensive colleges, have never done ANY type of service for the nation, most are unmarried with no children and almost all of them are enjoying the fruits of their parents hard work to send them through school and are very well off. In other words...very young and haven't done crap in real life.

TL : DR

Pat Forde is an awful....close minded writer.....Ignore him. Almost everyone else does.
I think what you just described is not so much moral clarity as that would infer some sort of truth in what is being screeched. When only one point of view is tolerated and all dissenting voices are silenced, suppressed, demonized or otherwise stripped from the public discourse...that is called fascism. The difference in 'journalists' today is they are no longer taught to be objective and to seek the truth. They are trained to be activists and to direct their efforts to shape public opinion. More to say but at the risk of being vacationed I'll leave it there.

@ShortSideOption

A wee bit of an “Apples to Oranges” comparison since we play far more divisional games....twice the number.

But your point is valid.....

I don’t think anyone will ever disagree....we simply need to play better to eliminate much of the frustration and distrust.

And Frost himself has said how surprised he was at how scheduling ACTUALLY occurs in the BiG....with a heavy emphasis on trying to schedule games that will draw more television revenue.

I guess, given our current state, we should be proud that Nebraska is still considered a ”big ticket” game.

I never complained about the schedule this year....I saw it as a wonderful opportunity in a thow away year.

what I cannot abide/understand is why the conference seems so bent on committing financial Hara Kiri this year instead of approaching this with flexibility and adaptability. Oh I don’t know...like other conferences are doing.

I get Wisconsi’s cancellation. I understand it and their reasoning even though I think MANY factors involved and you think it was just covid... I feel it was a foregone conclusion from the start but in the end....no problem. I pray that the Wisconsin kids, coaches and families get a handle on this quickly and they all wind up with the lesser version of the disease...as I do for ANYONE!

But for the conference to prohibit a fill-in game with a clean team that has tougher protocols than the big....who’s athletic department NEEDS the money and who is willing to jump through hoops to come to Lincoln and play, in a game that affects other BiG schools not at all and completely destroys ANY possibility that the city of Lincoln would gain ANY economic value from the game....just...well it smacks of zero common sense and smells of retribution.

I will admit we can sound a little “petulant” right now....but the BiG sounds more and more like an incompetent, arrogant, aristocratic Louis XVI Kingdom simply telling the peasants to “eat cake”.

Because we said so.....

@ShortSideOption

A wee bit of an “Apples to Oranges” comparison since we play far more divisional games....twice the number.

But your point is valid.....

I don’t think anyone will ever disagree....we simply need to play better to eliminate much of the frustration and distrust.

And Frost himself has said how surprised he was at how scheduling ACTUALLY occurs in the BiG....with a heavy emphasis on trying to schedule games that will draw more television revenue.

I guess, given our current state, we should be proud that Nebraska is still considered a ”big ticket” game.

I never complained about the schedule this year....I saw it as a wonderful opportunity in a thow away year.

what I cannot abide/understand is why the conference seems so bent on committing financial Hara Kiri this year instead of approaching this with flexibility and adaptability. Oh I don’t know...like other conferences are doing.

I get Wisconsi’s cancellation. I understand it and their reasoning even though I think MANY factors involved and you think it was just covid... I feel it was a foregone conclusion from the start but in the end....no problem. I pray that the Wisconsin kids, coaches and families get a handle on this quickly and they all wind up with the lesser version of the disease...as I do for ANYONE!

But for the conference to prohibit a fill-in game with a clean team that has tougher protocols than the big....who’s athletic department NEEDS the money and who is willing to jump through hoops to come to Lincoln and play, in a game that affects other BiG schools not at all and completely destroys ANY possibility that the city of Lincoln would gain ANY economic value from the game....just...well it smacks of zero common sense and smells of retribution.

I will admit we can sound a little “petulant” right now....but the BiG sounds more and more like an incompetent, arrogant, aristocratic Louis XVI Kingdom simply telling the peasants to “eat cake”.

Because we said so.....
Agreed. My whole point is, if we weren’t 1-9 against Wisconsin since joining the conference, if we had won a game against Iowa more recently than 2014, if we weren’t 3-4 against the Gophers since 2013, we may have a leg to stand on. I just think griping about the cross division schedule while we consistently can’t beat the teams in our own division makes us look bad.

With the game being canceled and no makeup game allowed that will give some players some time on Saturday to go to the bars in Lincoln to watch football. Here they will run a MUCH higher risk of catching COVID than if they played an OOC team that had been through all the protocols equal to or better than the B1G requirement.

A decade ago in the Big12, Pelini's coaching salary pool was 3.8 million. Frost's is currently 10 million. Just a decade ago, Nebraska athletics was pulling in about 75 to 80 million in revenue. I would assume we would be right at 110 million or so if still in the same conference. In 2019 we were north of 135 million being in the B1G. Our rights and licensing if we took what we make in the B1G would actually put us second in the Big12 behind Texas, but in front of Oklahoma. And trust me, we aren't getting the same deal that Oklahoma is if we move back.

It's not only about us paying Hoiberg and Frost more with their staffs, it's about us getting 30 million more in revenue as well.
Thanks for the info. I'm a big believer in paying top dollars for coaches. Hopefully Frost and Hoiberg can get things turned around. They both walked into complete messes. I am a fan of both and truly believe it will happen. With that being said it sure has been a long and brutal stretch to be a Husker fan.

Thanks for the info. I'm a big believer in paying top dollars for coaches. Hopefully Frost and Hoiberg can get things turned around. They both walked into complete messes. I am a fan of both and truly believe it will happen. With that being said it sure has been a long and brutal stretch to be a Husker fan.
Ya, I would actually be curious what expenses are going up besides coaching salaries and the training table. If we were going to get Frost, we had to pay that much. I don't think his assistants needed as much as we gave him though. Same with Hoiberg where we can pay him what he wants and give him the salary pool he desires. I would imagine cost of travel is up, we used to bus to Kansas and Kansas State, now we charter a jet pretty much everywhere for football. We've had new roles like Matt Davison and Billy Devaney show up that adds dollars to the bottom line. I also mention quite a bit how Pelini made a powerpoint presentation to boosters about what their flights were like and the help they needed for recruiting for organization and communication to recruits that other schools had and we didn't. Pelini basically asked for two additional people to do it on a full-time basis and chartered jets so they didn't have to drive to Omaha and fly commercial. Those were denied. When we hired Riley, we all of a sudden started paying for those chartered jets and gave him 4 people for his recruiting staff. Again, another reason I wish our AD would have just said "what do you need to get over the hump" and gave him what Riley got.

Ya, I would actually be curious what expenses are going up besides coaching salaries and the training table. If we were going to get Frost, we had to pay that much. I don't think his assistants needed as much as we gave him though. Same with Hoiberg where we can pay him what he wants and give him the salary pool he desires. I would imagine cost of travel is up, we used to bus to Kansas and Kansas State, now we charter a jet pretty much everywhere for football. We've had new roles like Matt Davison and Billy Devaney show up that adds dollars to the bottom line. I also mention quite a bit how Pelini made a powerpoint presentation to boosters about what their flights were like and the help they needed for recruiting for organization and communication to recruits that other schools had and we didn't. Pelini basically asked for two additional people to do it on a full-time basis and chartered jets so they didn't have to drive to Omaha and fly commercial. Those were denied. When we hired Riley, we all of a sudden started paying for those chartered jets and gave him 4 people for his recruiting staff. Again, another reason I wish our AD would have just said "what do you need to get over the hump" and gave him what Riley got.
I was a pretty good friends with Pelini. He shared a couple of his frustrations with me and my wife. He and Perlman did not get along at all which did not do him any favors. Unfortunately Bo didn't have it in him to play kiss ass with people that he sometimes needed to. I respect him for that but he could have made things easier on himself.

I don't have much interest in moving back, I just wish we would get back to winning so not everything comes across like we're whining about stuff. It's amazing to me that we're getting more crap for wanting to schedule a nonconference game than Wisconsin is for cancelling while below the red threshold. Why is there no heat on Chryst or Barry for making that decision with no repercussions?

Agreed. My whole point is, if we weren’t 1-9 against Wisconsin since joining the conference, if we had won a game against Iowa more recently than 2014, if we weren’t 3-4 against the Gophers since 2013, we may have a leg to stand on. I just think griping about the cross division schedule while we consistently can’t beat the teams in our own division makes us look bad.

I am sorry ***, but it does not matter whether you are Ohio State or Alabama when you are correct on an issue you are correct!

When you state above that only teams with winning records can complain about things, you sound like a "sports writer" or "TV anchor" where only certain people have rights to justice and others do not.

I do not believe that to be true. All of us are entitled to be treated fairly, even by the BIG Ten :).

GBR

I don't have much interest in moving back, I just wish we would get back to winning so not everything comes across like we're whining about stuff. It's amazing to me that we're getting more crap for wanting to schedule a nonconference game than Wisconsin is for cancelling while below the red threshold. Why is there no heat on Chryst or Barry for making that decision with no repercussions?
I am not so upset about the decision not being questioned. What I want to know is why they didnt have enough controls in place to keep this from happening.

I am sorry ***, but it does not matter whether you are Ohio State or Alabama when you are correct on an issue you are correct!

When you state above that only teams with winning records can complain about things, you sound like a "sports writer" or "TV anchor" where only certain people have rights to justice and others do not.

I do not believe that to be true. All of us are entitled to be treated fairly, even by the BIG Ten :).

GBR
I don't even know what you are talking about. Instead of being mad at our crossover games, let's beat our division foes first. If you are of the opinion that since we are having losing records we can advocate for playing lesser competition, then that's not the Nebraska I know and that we want to get back to.

That wasn't a very "super geinus" post.

I don't even know what you are talking about. Instead of being mad at our crossover games, let's beat our division foes first. If you are of the opinion that since we are having losing records we can advocate for playing lesser competition, then that's not the Nebraska I know and that we want to get back to.

That wasn't a very "super geinus" post.

No, reread your post.

You said if we didnt have losing records against division foes, "we might have a leg to stand on", the implication being if we were winning we could complain.

That's my point, not the crossover games, they are what they are, a long uphill road to returning to a winning team. Certainly the BIG Ten not listening to Bill Moos who asked them specifically NOT to do that to his young, rebuilding program. You see the BIG leadership response. It is what it is.

And we still, losing or winning have the right to point out we are playing five Top 25 ranked teams and The Ohio State University is playing TWO.

GBR

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back