• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are signs of improvement?

We all know the last two years have been disappointing, so what are some basic signs we should expect from an improving team?

For me:
1.) Take Care of Details. Iowa and Wisconsin traditionally win games by executing their basics, and taking advantage of other teams mistakes. Missed tackles, silly penalties, bad turnovers, and poor clock management have often resulted in a frustrating Husker loss. Good teams don’t beat themselves.
2.)Special Teams HAVE to get better. Hidden yardage from kickoff returns and coverage, lack of field goal threats, and failure to control the field on punts flat out cost us the last two years. I’m really hoping this area improves a ton this year.
3.)Handling Adversity. Lately, if Nebraska gets punched in the mouth it seems like things get rolling downhill and the general mood of the team (and fans) crashes. Have to be tougher mentally!
4.) Coaching Decisions. I believe Frost is the man for the job and I hope he’s here for 20 more years. However, the last two seasons it’s taken several games to identify our best running back. Start with Ozigbo two years ago, and we might have won a couple early games. Time management and overall game awareness has not been a strength (Iowa last year‍♂️). If our young staff shows improvement here -and I think they will- we win a couple more games.
Anyway, I’m no expert but I’m really hoping to see us make strides in these areas. Can’t wait to watch the Huskers! GBR!

the full Xmas list is long, but ...

Stops on 3rd and long

Use the TEs

North-south running

AM decisive running
All of the above... plus...

Ability to execute bubble and basic traditional screen passes... we haven't done this well for at least five or six seasons... and probably much longer than that...

The biggest sign of improvement for me will be not letting one loss determine the way the rest of the season goes. It seems it's happened quite a bit the last few years that after losing one game, things snowball. If NU loses to OSU tomorrow, it's only 1 loss.

In terms of the OP - For what it's worth, I've enjoyed the past couple years tremendously.

As always, I focus on the trenches because it all starts up front - let's move & dominate some people when we have to & good things will happen. Elsewhere, mainly looking for intensity & focus + playing through the whistle.

As for this on, off, on again 8 game B1G "season" - I say let it rip, get the youngsters a lot of reps & game experience and let it all hang out. Heck the eligibility clock is frozen, it's literally an additional redshirt year for everybody -> let's be unpredictable & creative, treat this like the dress rehearsal / tournament it is & play with nothing to lose. Test/audition our style of play to see what works & what might need tweaked ... hopefully gain confidence & momentum moving forward. Go Big Red!

Special teams improvement is a huge key for me. Special teams success is a microcosm of how detailed an organization is. We upgraded our punter and kicker and have more depth across the board this year. If we don't see drastic special teams improvement, it will really speak to the attention to detail of our staff.

1. Our special teams needs to improve, statistically, across the board.
2. We need to do better on first down.
3. Run yardage per play needs to improve.
4. QB passing efficiency needs to improve.
5. The defense needs to cause more turnovers.
6. Our record in close games needs to improve. We lost 3 games last year by 4 points or less, and we should have won all three of those games.

I think an improvement will be seeing a wider arrangement of players contributing and playing well. It seemed like in the past too many guys were just waiting for someone else to make the play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back