• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

I think this is the one area that I’m not in line with HCSF on...defense mindset. Maybe it’s because he was in the defense deficient PAC12 and AAC conferences where really good defenses were not there so he got jaded by having a mindset of offensive football being all that ultimately mattering, but that just isn’t the case in the B1G. Heck, if the Huskers focused on the defense they would have a much better shot of contending. Having a offense that plays at break neck speed is just not a good approach in a conference where defenses are actually pretty good. That may have worked in those other conferences and B12 too, but not so in the B1G. Why do you want to put your defense on the field so much in a conference where your opponents Do NOT play that way and can grind away in their offesive possessions so your defense is tired and you’re constantly playing from behind. HCSF has got to change his philosophy now that he’s in the B1G and seeing how his first couple years have gone in it, defensively and offensively IMO.

Ryan Day seems to be doing okay in the B1G with his version of Chip Kelly's offense. Ohio State's defense doesn't seem to be hampered by having to practice against it.

Ryan Day seems to be doing okay in the B1G with his version of Chip Kelly's offense. Ohio State's defense doesn't seem to be hampered by having to practice against it.

Well yeah but they have a significant talent advantage against nearly all of the conference. It's a different story for us IMO. If we're gonna have such short possessions we better be scoring on them!

Well yeah but they have a significant talent advantage against nearly all of the conference. It's a different story for us IMO. If we're gonna have such short possessions we better be scoring on them!

I was responding to the post I quoted. He's blaming scheme. Ohio State runs a very similar scheme, and they're currently ruling the conference.

Nobody is saying that we have OSU's level of talent.

We had some success last year, but coudnt finish.
I think this speaks to both talent and scheme.
Sheme got us to wiscys 40, talent stranded us there.

To be fair, alot of youth and inexperience made their contributions as well. Add in lack of depth

This is a new year

Last edited:

I was responding to the post I quoted. He's blaming scheme. Ohio State runs a very similar scheme, and they're currently ruling the conference.

Forgive me I thought this was a discussion board. I fully understood the discussion.

Last edited:
So besides a complaint about the level of execution, what else are you suggesting? A different defense? A different offense? A few decades ago there was only one Oklahoma, but numerous teams were running the wishbone successfully...but only one was OU. Is your point that if we can’t match OSU we shouldn’t run similar offenses or defenses?

I guess I’m missing your point.

Since Huskers don’t have tOSU’s talent, and probably never will, then I don’t see this breakneck speed offense working with a mediocre defense. Perhaps HCSF could adjust by not huddling guys and bringing them to the LOS to run plays, and then run play clock down to zero and run plays so defenses can’t sub out. But other than that, what HCSF’s attitude seemed to be when he joined the B1G was that his offense was going to be good enough to outscore any team we played so the defense didn’t have to be as good. It just needed to stop a few of the other teams possessions and get the ball back to the high scoring offense. Other than OSU in the B1G, name me a successful team that’s doing that consistently in the two conferences that play better defenses-B1G and SEC. I sure don’t see too many teams winning that much consistently by giving up a gazillion yards and points and trying to outscore them. I just don’t see that type of concept, offense and defense, winning much in B1G with the way teams play here.

Last edited:
But other than that, what HCSF’s attitude seemed to be when he joined the B1G was that his offense was going to be good enough to outscore any team we played so the defense didn’t have to be as good. It just needed to stop a few of the other teams possessions and get the ball back to the high scoring offense.
Frost has never said that nor expressed the attitude that the defense didn't have to be that good. This is a fan and media driven narrative. In his first two classes we actually signed more defensive players than offensive. I think most coaches goals are for their offense to be good enough to outscore the other team.

Last edited:

So besides a complaint about the level of execution, what else are you suggesting? A different defense? A different offense? A few decades ago there was only one Oklahoma, but numerous teams were running the wishbone successfully...but only one was OU. Is your point that if we can’t match OSU we shouldn’t run similar offenses or defenses?

I guess I’m missing your point.

I'm not complaining about anything, just conversing.

All I'm sayin is ... of course Ohio State has shown that a spread approach works in this conference, but it's stocked with NFL talent and paired with a good-to-elite level defense.

Our philosophy is outscore and force turnovers, the coaches have said that many times. IMO we're going to have to change our expectations on defense to start showing up in the conference title game. We're going to have to have higher goals than getting a few stops and forcing turnovers. Too many good defenses in this league.

It is interesting. 2/3 were drafted but maybe some new bodies will help IDK
and the 3rd one was just activated from the practice squad to the active roster.......but I get the original post (about poor DL play), to a degree and, IMO, it is a product of running a 3-4.....Poor LB play can make the DL look bad even when they actually do their assignment. 3-4 Dl are suppose to "funnel" the RB to the LB, who is suppose to then get the tackle. Our LB play has been lacking hence it makes it seem like our DL play is inadequate. I sure wish we would go to a 4-3, 4-4, or heck, even a hybrid 5-2.

and the 3rd one was just activated from the practice squad to the active roster.......but I get the original post (about poor DL play), to a degree and, IMO, it is a product of running a 3-4.....Poor LB play can make the DL look bad even when they actually do their assignment. 3-4 Dl are suppose to "funnel" the RB to the LB, who is suppose to then get the tackle. Our LB play has been lacking hence it makes it seem like our DL play is inadequate. I sure wish we would go to a 4-3, 4-4, or heck, even a hybrid 5-2.
Good post. People wanting production out of the DL in a 3-4 where those guys are doubled basically every play are going to be dissatisfied for awhile. The Bucs literally drafted Khalil for his ability to get QB sacks, but I’ve read over and over on this thread they weren’t productive. NFL GMs disagree.

Luckily it’s a throw away year a bit to get these new DL reps, but I think our LBs actually play a lot better this year. But Tuioti has his work cut out for him. Khalil averaged .75 sacks a game from a 3 man line. That’s crazy good production. I do expect a big year out of Stille. Curious what we do with Robinson, he’s been having a really good fall camp. But I worry we will need him at NG.

Last edited:
Good post. People wanting production out of the DL in a 3-4 where those guys are doubled basically every play are going to be dissatisfied for awhile. The Bucs literally drafted Khalil for his ability to get QB sacks, but I’ve read over and over on this thread they weren’t productive. NFL GMs disagree.

Luckily it’s a throw away year a bit to get these new DL reps, but I think our LBs actually play a lot better this year. But Tuioti has his work cut out for him. Khalil averaged .75 sacks a game from a 3 man line. That’s crazy good production. I do expect a big year out of Stille. Curious what we do with Robinson, he’s been having a really good fall camp. But I worry we will need him at NG.
I heard Tuioti or posibly someone else say that "Snacks" was able to play closer to 8 plays in a row (his goal) than the three from last year. If that's true, that lets Robinson move around some. Has your telephone heard anything about Daniels' getting more stamina?

I'm not complaining about anything, just conversing.

All I'm sayin is ... of course Ohio State has shown that a spread approach works in this conference, but it's stocked with NFL talent and paired with a good-to-elite level defense.

Our philosophy is outscore and force turnovers, the coaches have said that many times. IMO we're going to have to change our expectations on defense to start showing up in the conference title game. We're going to have to have higher goals than getting a few stops and forcing turnovers. Too many good defenses in this league.

In theory, hurry up spread offenses are designed to make up for having inferior talent. It's much harder to just line up and win one on one battles.

I heard Tuioti or posibly someone else say that "Snacks" was able to play closer to 8 plays in a row (his goal) than the three from last year. If that's true, that lets Robinson move around some. Has your telephone heard anything about Daniels' getting more stamina?
I would say that’s extremely hopeful. He is really good his first 2-3 plays, but 8 seems like a stretch. Hoping to get 4 or 5 good ones seems like the goal. But to your point, moving Robinson there on passing downs or other situations where we could move a guy like Green down there as well may make 8 not even needed.

OMG. So much this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Stop the run. Or control it. We supposedly have the DBs to at least effin try to go one on one or even a 4-2-5 with a player walking up into the box. Thank you.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back