• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ways football has changed.....

1. While passing the football, back in my day, whenever I didn't lead my receiver enough, my coach would yell at me to lead him better. Today, they call it a Back Shoulder Pass and act like it's on purpose.
2. Although I didn't get to play much defense, I remember we used to run a 5-2 Defense. Today, they call it a 3-4.

Kenny Bell getting flagged for that absolutely gorgeous (AND LEGAL according to the rules at the time) block vs. Wisconsin is the perfect example of where football has gone.

He didn't break any rules. He literally got flagged for hitting a guy too hard.

It's all been downhill from there.

Pony by point, how so?
The fact that things are done to protect the players such as lowering the aiming point to avoid head to head have not made the game any less violent. There are still huge hits. Do some refs carry it too far (e.g. Kenny Bells hit) yes. In some ways it is more violent as a result of the size and speed of the players. If you look at games in the 60s and 70s. The average qb was only about 20-30 pounds lighter than the average DL. was less than 100 pounds heavier than the average QB. In the 70s QBs on average were the same height they are now. (6'5") and about 20 ls heavier. So not a huge difference. Whereas DT are the same height but 50 lbs heavier then they were in the 70s. OL has had an even bigger difference. They have gone from 245 in 77 to 320 in the early 2000s. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index7255.html?p=493 Both D and OL have continued to get bigger in that time. In that same time 40 yard dash times have decreased. that means bigger guys ae hitting people faster. If you look at how to determine linear force and impact. It is Mass X velocity. So bigger guys hitting at a higher velocity equals a much harder impact. So changing the aiming point only makes sense. IF you care at all about the health of the players. You see hits now that are actually at least as violent if not more so than the 70s. It is just at a different aiming point.

The fact that things are done to protect the players such as lowering the aiming point to avoid head to head have not made the game any less violent. There are still huge hits. Do some refs carry it too far (e.g. Kenny Bells hit) yes. In some ways it is more violent as a result of the size and speed of the players. If you look at games in the 60s and 70s. The average qb was only about 20-30 pounds lighter than the average DL. was less than 100 pounds heavier than the average QB. In the 70s QBs on average were the same height they are now. (6'5") and about 20 ls heavier. So not a huge difference. Whereas DT are the same height but 50 lbs heavier then they were in the 70s. OL has had an even bigger difference. They have gone from 245 in 77 to 320 in the early 2000s. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index7255.html?p=493 Both D and OL have continued to get bigger in that time. In that same time 40 yard dash times have decreased. that means bigger guys ae hitting people faster. If you look at how to determine linear force and impact. It is Mass X velocity. So bigger guys hitting at a higher velocity equals a much harder impact. So changing the aiming point only makes sense. IF you care at all about the health of the players. You see hits now that are actually at least as violent if not more so than the 70s. It is just at a different aiming point.

Yeah, I love those roughing the passer penalties where the defender's facemask taps the QB's foot week in and week out. ;)

If they were truly serious about safety there would be lifetime bans for PED's along with additional testing.

Mass x Velocity SQUARED.

Regardless, people don't watch gladiator sport to see how gently the players treat each other.

Hits are why I fell in love with football. The violence is why most people watch. The violence is why they are compensated the way they are. If they were worried about their future, they probably shouldn't be playing football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back