• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Data Breach?

SavageHusker

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Just logged in from chrome and received a notification that I should changed my password due to a data breach on a web site. Anyone see something like this?

Just logged in from chrome and received a notification that I should changed my password due to a data breach on a web site. Anyone see something like this?
Yes. If you are talking about the alert from Chrome.

I got it the other day after trying to set up an account with the gas utility. It flagged something like 22 cases where the email was used as a username and possibly a matched password. If that is the alert you got, don't ignore it. That site had a breach and you need to go in and start changing passwords.

I realized how big of a pain that will be and am thinking about a password manager software. Also, take the opportunity to set up 2-step verification where it is available. I had some key sites like Amazon i went and changed right away. There were some obscure ones and some I didn't know that I left alone for now.

Last edited:

I got it the other day after trying to set up an account with the gas utility. It flagged something like 22 cases where the email was used as a username and possibly a matched password. If that is the alert you got, don't ignore it. That site had a breach and you need to go in and start changing passwords.

I realized how big of a pain that will be and am thinking about a password manager software. Also, take the opportunity to set up 2-step verification where it is available. I had some key sites like Amazon i went and changed right away. There were some obscure ones and some I didn't know that I left alone for now.

I’ve used LastPass for a few years. I think it’s a solid password manager.

For 2FA, Google Authenticator has worked well for me.

That is exactly the notification I received.

Say you have saved your username/password with OPPD on Chrome, and OPPD gets compromised. Chrome compares that password username combo with your other saved passwords. Anything that shares is then considered compromised and should be updated.

I too will get getting a password manager shortly.

Last edited:
Say you have saved your username/password with OPPD on Chrome, and OPPD gets compromised. Chrome compares that password username combo with your other saved passwords. Anything that shares is then considered compromised and should be updated.

I too will get getting a password manager shortly.

So I guess every time chrome asks me if I want to save my password and I say never, that's a good thing.

Whatever you do don't use any links in the email to change your password. Browse to the website by manually entering the URL address and hit enter, then make sure you have a padlock to the left of the address. Logon and navigate to the password change option from there.

So I guess every time chrome asks me if I want to save my password and I say never, that's a good thing.

Actually it's the opposite (assuming you trust Google). The save feature doesn't compromise your data, this is letting you know some nefarious party may have your stuff.

Let's say you have a profile with ESPN.com and ESPN.com usernames (un) and passwords (PW) get hacked. The hackers will often "try" that combo on hundreds and thousands of sites. If you use the same un and pw at you bank and they try it there, they are in, unless you set up a 2 factor id.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back