• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Deshawn Woods - 2022 Offensive Tackle - Omaha Central

Losing in-state creates separation in the fan base and recruits locally a bit. It's not about whether we can get someone else at that caliber.

I think that comment sums up most of the local recruiting angst. There is so much state pride, that the majority/vocal minority, can't handle the prospect of local kids having success elsewhere. Florida and Louisiana don't like it either, but they know it is inevitable as there is more talent in the state than they can handle, so they know they will miss. Here in Nebraska we take each miss personally.

And such with Dickerson, we might have to settle for lesser talent that isn't local. So double whammy.

interesting thread... yes, can't wait to get back to 9/10 wins per season - & then denigrating said seasons. :Confused:

Those 9/10 win seasons the past 20 years were often so unimpressive to Husker faithful (downright fireable) - at times this fan base is its' own worst enemy.

DONU has a rich CFB tradition, but also an if you ain't first, you're last complex that is really self effacing & counterproductive.

NU is 7th in All time wins (902) - ninety more than LSU (812)... 5 MNC's to 4

eight times since Dr Tom retired in 1997, NU has failed to win 9 or more games in a season - seven for LSU over the same time frame... (fifteen for Ferentz BTW)

NU's future is bright, & things are going to be special again soon - whether folks want to believe or not, that's on them.

9 wins in 2011 through 2014 was basically just barely in or just outside looking in the top 25. I think 9 wins in 2020 would have NU firmly in the top 20.

mr-t-wants-you-to-leave-him-alone

Ouch! Nebraska was not one of the five schools of interest that he mentioned.

Same for Devon Jackson, that's why I posted those...

I think you have an okay shot with Woods, but I think Jackson is a longshot at this point.

I had mentioned that I’m expecting 1/3 for us to commit to Nebraska among the big 3 out of Omaha for the 2022 class. They can’t get blanked. Got some work to do.
As an eighteen yr old football player, my head would probably be turned by offers from a top ten school. I can't blame them, just wish they would stay in state, at NU. GBR

The fan base has been holding its breath for 20 years. Each year was going to be “the year.” Had Frost not been hired, that year would have been “the year” the fan base gave up on DONU. This year was seriously looking like “the year” the program got on the right track. Then no spring practices. Then no recruiting visits. Then no season. Now a season with The toughest schedule in the BIG and a commissioner that really wants Nebraska to fail. I can’t believe what this staff has had to deal with. We all know the staff has this ship headed in the right direction, but it does hurt that we have to keep holding our breath. I am in this thing for the long haul.

The fan base has been holding its breath for 20 years. Each year was going to be “the year.” Had Frost not been hired, that year would have been “the year” the fan base gave up on DONU. This year was seriously looking like “the year” the program got on the right track. Then no spring practices. Then no recruiting visits. Then no season. Now a season with The toughest schedule in the BIG and a commissioner that really wants Nebraska to fail. I can’t believe what this staff has had to deal with. We all know the staff has this ship headed in the right direction, but it does hurt that we have to keep holding our breath. I am in this thing for the long haul.
Nebraska was not giving up on its team if they didn't get Frost-ain't gonna happen as there were many other names out there that we could have rallied around had SF chose to go elsewhere. Very few experts were predicting that this was going to be the year-easy to say now after all the turmoil that is facing EVERY team. Nebraska was playing Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota in the original schedule prior to any Covid issuues or revised schedules. They also had a couple losable non-conference games. There are many with doubts on where this program is going right now, take the Frost name out of the equation and our coach would be on the warm seat, quite possibly hot. Two straight seasons of underperforming, losing records, supposed chemistry issues, and no bowl games does not prove to me this program is heading in the right direction. I do have hope and to really say anyone has more than that right now is letting their Scott Frost fandom get in the way. There are many positives since his arrival but if you are the least bit open minded you can see plenty that makes you question the direction of this staff. Not much of anything fact based in your post and it sounds like pre-emptive excuse making for what you fear will be a rough year and a chance to say "if only we were not dealt this crappy hand". Personally, I think we were a 6-6 best case 7-5 team had there been no Covid and that to me isn't "the year" or what a single fan would have envisioned in year 3.

Last edited:

As an eighteen yr old football player, my head would probably be turned by offers from a top ten school. I can't blame them, just wish they would stay in state, at NU. GBR
When you aren’t a good football team with results to show for it, you have to do everything right on the recruiting trail to pull these kids in. We made some missteps early, but still plenty of time to beat a Wisconsin or Iowa and show we are improving before these 2022 kids sign the dotted line.

When you aren’t a good football team with results to show for it, you have to do everything right on the recruiting trail to pull these kids in. We made some missteps early, but still plenty of time to beat a Wisconsin or Iowa and show we are improving before these 2022 kids sign the dotted line.
Word.

Just win and they will come. It’s that simple.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back