• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

Regarding last year's D line: I have a close friend who is a football coach and I was having a beer with him after they won their first round payoff game a few years back. I mentioned that the team they played looked pretty damn good in pre-game, big, strong, fast etc. He laughed and said they lost every pre-game they had that season. (they were undefeated on the year ) His well made point was looking the part is one thing, actually producing real results is quite another thing. IMHO last year's defensive line looked the part too much and produced real tangible results ( much of it stat packing) when it didn't effect the outcome of winnable games. Sacks , TFL's, turnovers to win games did not happen from this group last year. Yes, I know, they weren't the only problem. So, my long winded point is that this year's group may not shine getting off the bus but they may play better assignment specific team ball, greater as a whole with less as parts. I think we will be surprised with this overall young group this year.
i was concerned about having to replace three senior defensive linemen that played a lot, with a lot of inexperience. Then I remembered how poorly those three seniors performed

You don’t even have to go into ancient Greek history. How about American only.....Cowpens, Saratoga, Chancellorsville, Belleau Wood, Bastogne, Chosin...

Or, one of my favorites but not American, Rorke’s Drift.

History is replete with examples of tremendous upsets. It CAN happen!

I too look forward to a much improved team. Hell, if the snaps aren’t high, we get decent pass protection, the defense hits HARD, and our kicking and special teams game is even average.....I’ll be a happy camper!

GBR!!
How bout Temple over Ped state
Or App state over Mich

@Huskerthom

good ones!

Boise State over Oklahoma

I have to say App State over Michigan...at the Big House....has to be my most remembered. But that Boise State Oklahoma game was sooooo much fun to watch....

Statue of Liberty for crying out loud to win it, and then the marriage proposal....Classic...

i was concerned about having to replace three senior defensive linemen that played a lot, with a lot of inexperience. Then I remembered how poorly those three seniors performed
It is interesting. 2/3 were drafted but maybe some new bodies will help IDK

Regarding last year's D line: I have a close friend who is a football coach and I was having a beer with him after they won their first round payoff game a few years back. I mentioned that the team they played looked pretty damn good in pre-game, big, strong, fast etc. He laughed and said they lost every pre-game they had that season. (they were undefeated on the year ) His well made point was looking the part is one thing, actually producing real results is quite another thing. IMHO last year's defensive line looked the part too much and produced real tangible results ( much of it stat packing) when it didn't effect the outcome of winnable games. Sacks , TFL's, turnovers to win games did not happen from this group last year. Yes, I know, they weren't the only problem. So, my long winded point is that this year's group may not shine getting off the bus but they may play better assignment specific team ball, greater as a whole with less as parts. I think we will be surprised with this overall young group this year.
I like both of these posts. Even mentioned this to ***. We had an impressive draft list from that DL but gave up 4.8 yards per carry in rushing. Ranked like 100th in the nation and just barely beat out Rutgers for last place in the B1G. So in spite of the talent......no results. Now is that coaching? Scheme? or did they just not gel well.

I like both of these posts. Even mentioned this to ***. We had an impressive draft list from that DL but gave up 4.8 yards per carry in rushing. Ranked like 100th in the nation and just barely beat out Rutgers for last place in the B1G. So in spite of the talent......no results. Now is that coaching? Scheme? or did they just not gel well.
I've wondered the same thing. I know the NFL and college game are different. Maybe their talents will translate better in the NFL. But something was not right last year. Football is the ultimate team game, so maybe the 'gel' just wasn't there last year.

Then perhaps, it’s more the fault of the linebacker play....

I still think I would almost use this year as a training ground for the younger players and get them in as many games as possible so the coaches can see what the team will look like NEXT year. That’s what I’d be most interested in doing. Since any team can make a bowl game, if they happen at all, that will be available so don’t have to worry about getting to a certain Win total. I just would want this year to be mostly about the future.

Then perhaps, it’s more the fault of the linebacker play....
It all works together. The 3-4 is a linebacker defense. Our linebacker play under Chinander has been a couple of ticks below average.

Which gets you the results we have had.

Better to have outstanding linebacker play with average line play in the 3-4 than the other way around. This is what is what you see from Wisconsin. They always play great at the linebacker spot and there d-line is usually just average.

Individually the Davis twins and Daniels were super. They made some great plays but as a unit something was missing.

I hope to see solid linebacker play with solid D-line play

Darrion Daniels was a pretty darn good college NT with the size to eat up a couple of blocks and the athleticism to make things happen inside. We’ll be lucky if we get close to the same quality of play at that position. The Davis twins are great athletes and good football players, but I’m not sure they were a good match for our scheme. I think ends with a wider, longer frame and wider arm-span may work better.

Even with all of that, I don’t think our linebackers were necessarily all that good at being in the right spot. If we don’t get better at that we probably won’t be much better at stopping the run.

Darrion Daniels was a pretty darn good college NT with the size to eat up a couple of blocks and the athleticism to make things happen inside. We’ll be lucky if we get close to the same quality of play at that position. The Davis twins are great athletes and good football players, but I’m not sure they were a good match for our scheme. I think ends with a wider, longer frame and wider arm-span may work better.

Even with all of that, I don’t think our linebackers were necessarily all that good at being in the right spot. If we don’t get better at that we probably won’t be much better at stopping the run.

I think *** touched on Mo and his run fit issues throughout the year and setting the edge issues for Davis. He showed how predictable we were, so it was exploited quite a bit apparently. If nobody fills right gap at the right time, chunks will be gained. I'm just paraphrasing what I believe *** and maybe others have said. I don't know squat.

Last edited:

Replacing a guy like at osu had is one thing, the cliff isnt as steep where weve been.
As they say, they are all P5 scholly earners.

Having the body types is a plus, but still we are looking uphill. LB play will be key here, whether there is a fall off or not.

First off, I have to preface that I generally agree with ***. Typically, unless you're Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and a few other teams, you don't normally have a better (or sometimes even equal) starting position group a year after you graduate NFL guys from it - let alone every spot.

Darrion Daniels was about as good as Nebraska can hope for in a 3-4 NG. And while I felt (and still feel) that the Davis twins make better 3-tech DTs in a 4-3, they both play for NFL teams that run a 3-4. So I guess "fit" isn't the issue we all thought.

Now that I've given the reasons why I'm probably wrong, I just have a feeling that the d-line won't take a step back. Between Ben Stille, Ty Robinson, Deontre Thomas, Damion Daniels, Jordon Riley and Keem Green, I think you have the makings of a solid line.

I actually think the biggest concern on the defense (easily) will be at outside linebacker. Outside of Domann, what do you have? Tannor has all the tools, is he ready to play like the guy everyone thought he'd be in year 3? Is Nelson athletic enough to be more than a guy you play in certain situations or packages? This mulligan season will pay big dividends next year for juco guys like Cooper, Payne and Mauga-Clements, but are those guys mentally ready to be major factors? David Alston is a bust, Jamin Graham moved to DE, Javin Wright is out. They brought in two promising freshmen, but one (Gunnerson) basically missed the last two years and has undergone surgeries on both hips to repair a genetic overgrowth of his hip bones. While the other (Butler) hadn't played organized football since the 7th grade until he did so again as senior.

They're giving Henrich a look, and the only way that's a positive sign is if they're trying to get their best 4 on the field because he's too good to keep off. But it sounds like he's still behind Luke Reimer for reps at the inside so that doesn't seem to be the case.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back