• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game of telephone.... what i'm hearing

With no fans at the opponents stadiums, I’d have no qualms with McCaffrey starting there. That goes for any team. I just don’t see home fields as being a big deal without fans there. When I see both college and NFL games this year, with little to no fans, typically the best team has won-home field having little advantage.

It’s not the fans at OSU that would be the problem for Luke. It’s the 9 or 10 future NFL players across the line of scrimmage.

The Persians at Thermopylae--- An ancient Greek history lesson the first thing in the morning. Wow! I can't wait to see our guys play and see their "want to" against the opponent. Let's go with an upset, something like the the battle of marathon or the battle of Canne---I had to look these up. I want the Huskers to show solid preparation, tackling, and no fear. GBR

With no fans at the opponents stadiums, I’d have no qualms with McCaffrey starting there. That goes for any team. I just don’t see home fields as being a big deal without fans there. When I see both college and NFL games this year, with little to no fans, typically the best team has won-home field having little advantage.
I had posted this before, but you are forgetting all of the things that go into it besides fans. I would agree though that not having to deal with as hostile of an environment makes the gameday situation a bit easier. But they are still letting them pump in sound, which will be annoying.

Regarding last year's D line: I have a close friend who is a football coach and I was having a beer with him after they won their first round payoff game a few years back. I mentioned that the team they played looked pretty damn good in pre-game, big, strong, fast etc. He laughed and said they lost every pre-game they had that season. (they were undefeated on the year ) His well made point was looking the part is one thing, actually producing real results is quite another thing. IMHO last year's defensive line looked the part too much and produced real tangible results ( much of it stat packing) when it didn't effect the outcome of winnable games. Sacks , TFL's, turnovers to win games did not happen from this group last year. Yes, I know, they weren't the only problem. So, my long winded point is that this year's group may not shine getting off the bus but they may play better assignment specific team ball, greater as a whole with less as parts. I think we will be surprised with this overall young group this year.

I had posted this before, but you are forgetting all of the things that go into it besides fans. I would agree though that not having to deal with as hostile of an environment makes the gameday situation a bit easier. But they are still letting them pump in sound, which will be annoying.

Its going to be interesting to see what they do for artificial noise. I can easily see this being abused and a bigger advantage for the home team than a crowd of 100k could have.

If Frost had lost to Louisiana-Layfayette by 17 like Campbell did, people would be melting down. The grass is always greener elsewhere.

I had the exact same thought when it happened. Although i'm sure the Campbell crowd will say this isn't a normal year. :)

Regarding last year's D line: I have a close friend who is a football coach and I was having a beer with him after they won their first round payoff game a few years back. I mentioned that the team they played looked pretty damn good in pre-game, big, strong, fast etc. He laughed and said they lost every pre-game they had that season. (they were undefeated on the year ) His well made point was looking the part is one thing, actually producing real results is quite another thing. IMHO last year's defensive line looked the part too much and produced real tangible results ( much of it stat packing) when it didn't effect the outcome of winnable games. Sacks , TFL's, turnovers to win games did not happen from this group last year. Yes, I know, they weren't the only problem. So, my long winded point is that this year's group may not shine getting off the bus but they may play better assignment specific team ball, greater as a whole with less as parts. I think we will be surprised with this overall young group this year.

We might look a little better coming off the bus than you think. Jordan Riley, Keem Green and Ty Robinson are giants. Having guys in the range of 325 lbs with major arm span length isn’t something that we’ve really ever had in abundance. Can they play? I don’t know. We’ll have the ability to go very large on the DL at times. We might not have as much drop-off as some would expect.

I find it a little disheartening that he didn't prepare as hard as he could regardless of another QB pushing him for his spot. Maybe that's just the nature of things these days and not an AM issue. I'm glad the coaches are creating competition too.

He was injured, the offensive line wasn't that great, his receivers were weak. That's a tough sport for a QB. While the line may be improved this year, the early signals on our receivers are not good.

If Frost had lost to Louisiana-Layfayette by 17 like Campbell did, people would be melting down. The grass is always greener elsewhere.
Very true.

And if Frost would have beaten Oklahoma, we would all have lost our minds (in a good way).

We might look a little better coming off the bus than you think. Jordan Riley, Keem Green and Ty Robinson are giants. Having guys in the range of 325 lbs with major arm span length isn’t something that we’ve really ever had in abundance. Can they play? I don’t know. We’ll have the ability to go very large on the DL at times. We might not have as much drop-off as some would expect.
Good post. Our Dline may get their butts handed to them but it won't be because they were too short armed, to small, too short, not enough muscle. They definitely look the part so now all we have to do is see if they can play the part, too.

Let's go with an upset, something like the the battle of marathon or the battle of Canne---

You don’t even have to go into ancient Greek history. How about American only.....Cowpens, Saratoga, New Orleans, Chancellorsville, Belleau Wood, Bastogne, Chosin...

Or, one of my favorites but not American, Rorke’s Drift.

History is replete with examples of tremendous upsets. It CAN happen!

I too look forward to a much improved team. Hell, if the snaps aren’t high, we get decent pass protection, the defense hits HARD, and our kicking and special teams game is even average.....I’ll be a happy camper!

GBR!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back